Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

VHF questions

Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 787
Received 184 Likes on 92 Posts
Default VHF questions

We have 2 Standard Horizon VHFs. Each will transmit but will not receive certain channels. Manual suggests it has something to do with the International setting? Some channels are marked A or R as well?
Don't think it is an issue with radios as both do the same thing...
Thanks for any suggestions...
Old 10-06-2014, 02:20 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,255
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clarkspoon View Post
We have 2 Standard Horizon VHFs. Each will transmit but will not receive certain channels. Manual suggests it has something to do with the International setting? Some channels are marked A or R as well?
Don't think it is an issue with radios as both do the same thing...
Thanks for any suggestions...
What are the "certain" channels?

Several are duplex channels that will not "talk" to each other radio to radio.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:13 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 16,446
Received 996 Likes on 770 Posts
Default

Make sure your VHF's are set to USA channel-set , not INT or CAN, as the USA setting uses many fewer duplex channels as Crabpot Man points out . That setting is likely shown as a top of the main screen icon.

But if you see "A" after the channel numeral you are probably using either the USA or Can set., but not the INT set. The "A "denotes the simplex version of those channels , as used by USA or CAN stations, rather than the duplex version used in the INT set.

As you can see in your manual's channel list table, the suffix-"A" channels use only a single frequency (simplex) for both Tx & receive .
But the same numeral duplex International channel ( no suffix) uses separate (duplex) frequencies to Tx & receive, because they employ repeaters that reverse the paired frequency to forward to the receiving station . At least I think that's the idea. ....

Don't know what the "R" is for on your set , but note channel 15 is "Receive only" , or ....possibly... the R is for Ram/remote mic use.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 787
Received 184 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

We had trouble on 68 vs. 68R. One would work both transmit and receive but the other would not. I think we tried 19. Kind of random on the channels.
We did the SeaTow radio check on Ch 27 and it worked fine.
If I can find the manual, I'll see how to do the USA / International thing.
Thanks!!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 16,446
Received 996 Likes on 770 Posts
Default

You never told us what radio you were having the problem with but here's access to the online manuals.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/?cmd=...s&DivisionID=3

On the Matrix models for example:
press and hold Call/Menu key until the menu appears
then rotate the CH knob to highlight CH Function Setup ,
press Select soft button ,
rotate to CH Group,
Select,
rotate to USA,(if not already selected)
press Enter to store selection,
press Quit twice to return to normal function.

FWIW- There is no ch. 68R (or even - A ) on the FCC listings for USA, CAN or INT channel sets, just plain ch 68 . And no channels at all with an R-suffix. I'll be curious to know to what the R actually refers on your VHFs . Does it just appear when keyed in by a remote/rRAM mic? On the Matrix series at least, the word Busy appears on the display if you are receiving transmission on that channel so it seems unlikely it stands for receiving.

Just going by the online manual here, my VHFs are not S/H .

19 is for ship to ship port operations.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 787
Received 184 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Got both radios set to USA and they seem to be working as expected now.

The 68R just shows up when dialing through the channels?
Called and asked the USCG Ft. Macon and they also said no such channel?

Put one radio on SCAN when fishing last Sat and it kept hanging up on 49R - even though I could not hear any conversation on that channel.

I do get the BUSY when the radio has a signal.

Thanks!!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,495
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

I think when you get the "R" designation along with the channel it means it's for "Receive only, no transmit". Weather channels are an example. If you look at the channel guides they call out certain channels to be used for military, shipping commercial, private etc. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:46 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,458
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

I believe certain channels force the radio into low-power mode, also. Channels that are primarily used for port operations, bridges and locks...none in use in my area that I recall. (chan. 13 is mandatory low power, whether switched manually, or automatically by the radio itself...there may be others).

It's to keep people from using 25 watts when they're at nearly shouting distance.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 16,446
Received 996 Likes on 770 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
I believe certain channels force the radio into low-power mode, also. Channels that are primarily used for port operations, bridges and locks...none in use in my area that I recall. (chan. 13 is mandatory low power, whether switched manually, or automatically by the radio itself...there may be others).

It's to keep people from using 25 watts when they're at nearly shouting distance.
Channels 13 and 67 are both restricted to 1 watt transmission output power and specific usage. Could those be the channels that had the "R", not 68 as you mentioned?
Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,458
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Are the radios required to automatically go to 1-watt on those channels, or is operator discretion still an option?

Unfortunately, marine VHF is turning into 1970s CB radio...that's a big 10-4 good buddy, and is even in widespread terrestrial use by hunters and off-road people. USCG/FCC only pursues the notorious cases, like false distress calls.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,255
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Clarkspoon View Post
Got both radios set to USA and they seem to be working as expected now.

The 68R just shows up when dialing through the channels?
Called and asked the USCG Ft. Macon and they also said no such channel?

Put one radio on SCAN when fishing last Sat and it kept hanging up on 49R - even though I could not hear any conversation on that channel.

I do get the BUSY when the radio has a signal.

Thanks!!
Bad radio? There is no channel 49, let alone 49R.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 16,446
Received 996 Likes on 770 Posts
Default

As noted above, there is no marine VHF channel 49 or 49R.
Here's the list:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf


You still haven't mentioned what S/H VHF radios you have ...which probably would have helped avoid a lot of confusion.

With a little quick searching, I now strongly suspect you may? be referring to S/H handhelds (maybe model HS471S ??) that include not only the Marine VHF band channels, but also FRS ( Family Radio Service, tx and rx), AM/FM and Aircraft Band which would account for your otherwise bizarre display of non-marine VHF channels.
Did you ever look at the (inside of the ) manual?

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=1

Last edited by TTaxi; 12-04-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:44 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,458
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TTaxi View Post
As noted above, there is no marine VHF channel 49 or 49R.
Here's the list:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtvhf


You still haven't mentioned what S/H VHF radios you have ...which probably would have helped avoid a lot of confusion.

With a little quick searching, I now strongly suspect you are really referring to S/H handhelds (maybe model HS471S ??) that include not only the Marine VHF band channels, but also FRS ( Family Radio Service, tx and rx), AM/FM and Aircraft Band which would account for your otherwise bizarre display of non-marine VHF channels.
Did you ever look at the (inside of the ) manual?

http://www.standardhorizon.com/index...3&isArchived=1
I'm not the OP, but do have a S/H HX370S which is programmable for all land-mobile services near the marine VHF band, and is FCC type-accepted for them as well as marine. I'm set-up with ham repeater frequencies (licensed!) and many police freqs. which I programmed as receive-only, except for my own agencies, which I set-up as receive/transmit. To do so is supposed to be dealer-only, and requires a special USB cable and software, so I doubt that's the OP's problem.

The S/H multi-service handhelds have never been user-programmable and ship as marine-only, as far as I know. They can only be switched between US, International, and Canadian marine, unless you have the special cable and software. The ones that cover FRS may be different, though, but I believe they only have FRS channels numbered 1-14, and are UHF rather than VHF in that service...little chance of confusing the two bands.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: M.Vineyard, MA
Posts: 16,446
Received 996 Likes on 770 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Karl in NY View Post
I'm not the OP, but do have a S/H HX370S which is programmable for all land-mobile services near the marine VHF band, and is FCC type-accepted for them as well as marine. I'm set-up with ham repeater frequencies (licensed!) and many police freqs. which I programmed as receive-only, except for my own agencies, which I set-up as receive/transmit. To do so is supposed to be dealer-only, and requires a special USB cable and software, so I doubt that's the OP's problem.

The S/H multi-service handhelds have never been user-programmable and ship as marine-only, as far as I know. They can only be switched between US, International, and Canadian marine, unless you have the special cable and software. The ones that cover FRS may be different, though, but I believe they only have FRS channels numbered 1-14, and are UHF rather than VHF in that service...little chance of confusing the two bands.
According to the product description and manual , the HX471S can be operator switched between Marine VHF, FRS , AM/FM and Aircraft bands right out of the box with nothing special done, Tx on Marine VHF and FRS only of course and only 0.5w on FRS I believe. But you make a good point that FRS also does not go to above ch 14.

Likewise the S/H HX470S apparently offers VHF , FRS , maybe Aircraft band , and MURS- the latter transmitting at 2 w. But the MURS band on that radio has even fewer channels ,so it wouldn't account for the notorious "Ch 49R" either. Hmmmm, scratch-head....

To answer your previous-post question , power reduction to 1 w on marine VHF ch 13 & 67 is automatic on all newer sets , I believe.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.