Notices

Duel transducer question

Old 09-11-2014, 05:57 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Default Duel transducer question

Currently I have a airmar shoot thru hull transducer going to a raymarine c80. I want to move the transducer it to a garmin 740s. Also going to add a 740xs with chrip. My question is can I run the airmar shoot thru transducer on the 740s for shallow water and the chrip transducer on a 740xs for deeper water at the same time? Do not want them to interfere with each other.

Thanks for any info and help

Last edited by Jeepman; 09-11-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,647
Default

You can probably do it with the Garmin 8 pin adapter box. The airmar site has a lot of diagrams.
VanW is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,730
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Currently I have a airmar shoot thru hull transducer going to a raymarine c80. I want to move the transducer it to a garmin 740s. Also going to add a 740xs with chrip. My question is can I run the airmar shoot thru transducer on the 740s for shallow water and the chrip transducer on a 740xs for deeper water at the same time? Do not want them to interfere with each other.

Thanks for any info and help
It depends on what model CHIRP transducer you are adding..
Your current shoot thru will be a 50/200 kHz.

Which CHIRP unit are your referring to?

If you add a CHIRP B175 M for example ...it has a freq range of 85 kHz thru 135 kHz...so that would not interfere.
semperfifishing is online now  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Default

Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
It depends on what model CHIRP transducer you are adding..
Your current shoot thru will be a 50/200 kHz.

Which CHIRP unit are your referring to?

If you add a CHIRP B175 M for example ...it has a freq range of 85 kHz thru 135 kHz...so that would not interfere.
Have not picked a chirp transducer yet, but if a 740xs with a B175 M will shoot down to 1500-2000' good then it would work.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,647
Default

That's pretty deep. I'm not convinced it can do it.
VanW is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Default

Originally Posted by VanW View Post
That's pretty deep. I'm not convinced it can do it.

What do you think would be the max operating depth on a slow drift for the 740xs combined with the B175 M ?
Jeepman is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,647
Default

I don't know, I hope it's able to but like I said I'll believe it when I see it on my own boat.
VanW is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,730
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Have not picked a chirp transducer yet, but if a 740xs with a B175 M will shoot down to 1500-2000' good then it would work.
You "may" see bottom at 1500' but certainly not targets.

If going deep.. then the B175C-L has the greater depth capabilty.
semperfifishing is online now  
Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Default

Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
You "may" see bottom at 1500' but certainly not targets.

If going deep.. then the B175C-L has the greater depth capabilty.
Does the B175C-L also have a freq range of 85 kHz thru 135 kHz ? I would like to be able to see targets in depths of 1000-1500', but do not want to give up anything in water depths in the 3-500' range to do so. Is there a depth range this transducer works best in?


Thanks for the help. In the coming months going to replace some older Eltcs and update my setup. I am extremly good at tuning sounders to do exactly what I want them to do, but dumb as a rock when it comes to how they work, how they talk to each other or what does and does not work with each other.
Jeepman is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,647
Default

The B175C-L means low, the B175C-M = medium. So they will be different freq. Also I am not an expert in this but it looks like for what you want to do you may also need a dual band chirp system instead of or maybe even in addition to the single band. Or at least more than one transducer.
VanW is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,730
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Does the B175C-L also have a freq range of 85 kHz thru 135 kHz ? I would like to be able to see targets in depths of 1000-1500', but do not want to give up anything in water depths in the 3-500' range to do so. Is there a depth range this transducer works best in?

.
The B175C-L has a freq range of 40 kHz-60 kHz...the lower the frequency the deeper the range..but also the L has less targeting capabilty .

To see a targets reliably in the 1000'-1500' range would be best using a 16 element transducer.

A Furuno FCV 295 with a 16 element transducer or a dual band CHIRP unit / 16 element such as a GSD-26 is what many opt for regarding working past 1000' and actually seeing targets.
Many transducers can see bottom deep ( 1000' and deeper) but seeing targets reliably is a different matter.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 09-11-2014 at 11:25 AM.
semperfifishing is online now  
Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
Default

Thanks for all the info, will read up on them and see what I want to go with.
Jeepman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread