The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Marine Electronics Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/)
-   -   Best place for a transducer on this hull??? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/619366-best-place-transducer-hull.html)

kyote 09-10-2014 05:42 AM

Best place for a transducer on this hull???
 
2 Attachment(s)
I'm new to the whole boating and marine electronics thing. I just purchased this vessel and will be upgrading the fish finder. Where should I mount the transducer? In the same location as the last one? What about a location for a second transducer?

Attachment 925063

Attachment 925064

VanW 09-10-2014 06:31 AM

Does it work good there or don't you know?

kyote 09-10-2014 06:41 AM


Originally Posted by VanW (Post 7095644)
Does it work good there or don't you know?

It works well at slow speeds but loses signal when on plane. I have no idea what unit it is or what quality the transducer is.

VanW 09-10-2014 07:26 AM

I'm not positive but I don't think it's best to mount it on the strake. I'd probably put it further underneath the scupper. It's hard to tell though it might just need adjustment.

knotreel 09-10-2014 07:34 AM

it might just need an adjustment it height and fore to aft angle. try posting a closeup picture of the transducer that shows it in relation to the hull bottom.

semperfifishing 09-10-2014 08:40 AM

Inboard of the strake is better than on it..
Also..
I have mounted units (Such as a P66 etc) on similar boats right next to the drain plug.

But what sonar are you using..and having a quality thru hull ducer helps also at speed.

yachtjim 09-10-2014 01:44 PM

Needs to be just outboard of one of the scuppers on your boat. Even better would be a flush mounted thru-hull.

kyote 09-10-2014 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by semperfifishing (Post 7096198)
Inboard of the strake is better than on it..
Also..
I have mounted units (Such as a P66 etc) on similar boats right next to the drain plug.

But what sonar are you using..and having a quality thru hull ducer helps also at speed.

Looking at HB 889 or low hds 7 gen 2. Is there a thru hull ducer for side imaging?

semperfifishing 09-10-2014 04:45 PM


Originally Posted by kyote (Post 7097782)
Looking at HB 889 or low hds 7 gen 2. Is there a thru hull ducer for side imaging?


http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/33/airmarb164.jpg

The thru hull I was speaking of was a flush mount style...designed for trailering.

Mounting a thru hull side is more of a challenge for a trailed boat because they are not a flush mount style.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/902/a69UfT.jpg


So staying with a transom mount may possibly be the best option for side scan on your boat.

kyote 09-10-2014 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So what I'm getting is a placement in an area more like the ones I've circled in red below?
Attachment 924966

semperfifishing 09-10-2014 10:35 PM


Originally Posted by kyote (Post 7098887)
So what I'm getting is a placement in an area more like the ones I've circled in red below?
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...ps27b65d4e.png

Also beside the drain plug is an option.

knotreel 09-11-2014 06:19 AM

the drain plug would be fine as far as transducer function with no hull vee to deal with, but for my opinion, especially on a bay boat that may see some shallow water duty, it being on the lowest point of the hull it would be more exposed to damage. Granted the motor skeg will extend well past it, but there are scenarios where the transducer could be more easily damaged being that low.

kyote 09-11-2014 07:01 AM

That would be my concern as well. Based on the input I've got here I'm thinking I'll place it inboard of the strake nearer to the scupper.Thanks for all the help everyone.

yachtjim 09-11-2014 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by kyote (Post 7099585)
That would be my concern as well. Based on the input I've got here I'm thinking I'll place it inboard of the strake nearer to the scupper.Thanks for all the help everyone.

Ding ding ding ding. Good conclusion.

It appears as though you may have some thru-hull fittings ahead of the scuppers though. Inboard, but ahead. Just make sure these are not in the path of the ducer.

kyote 09-11-2014 08:25 AM


Originally Posted by yachtjim (Post 7099770)
Ding ding ding ding. Good conclusion.

It appears as though you may have some thru-hull fittings ahead of the scuppers though. Inboard, but ahead. Just make sure these are not in the path of the ducer.

I'll make sure I do that.do you mind explaining why that's important?

knotreel 09-11-2014 09:11 AM

before you move it, check to see if its adjusted right. The leading edge should be just a bit proud of the bottom of the transom, maybe 1/8 inch. Then the aft part of the transducer should be a little lower than that, another 1/8" or so. If you can't find the specific instruction for your transducer if it is not an Airmar P66, you should be able to use the airmar P66 installation instructions for whatever yours is.

yachtjim 09-11-2014 09:32 AM


Originally Posted by kyote (Post 7099870)
I'll make sure I do that.do you mind explaining why that's important?

Anything ahead of the ducer that will cause turbulence in the flow of water is a bad thing.

captain nate 09-11-2014 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by kyote (Post 7095691)
It works well at slow speeds but loses signal when on plane. I have no idea what unit it is or what quality the transducer is.

same spot. if it doesnt work on plane just lower it a touch...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.