Notices

New garmin coming out

Old 09-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  #21  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,893
Default

Originally Posted by lingcod View Post
To begin, http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...vs-garmin.html

12" is the minimum size for me, and quite possibly two of them.

Btw I went again to West Marine recently and was able to easily cause big problems with the NSS12 EVO2 as well. I wasn't doing anything unusual; just normal usage. These products are simply not ready.

To the contrary I tried, and could not "break" the Garmin 8212.
Which Flagship store was it? I work at the Flagship WM here in St. Pete and I'll be the 1st to tell you that we have quite a few associates that don't know what they should about the electronics, so that being the case are you sure the settings weren't messed up? The reason I say that is you'd be amazed after about 5 mins with some people playing with these things that they look so broken in ways I didn't think were possible I'm constantly going over and correcting them so they don't frustrate customers that might be passing by and looking at them in case an associate isn't available. That being said in the 3 years that I've been there, I haven't had to take any Simrads back (that's not saying there hasn't been any problems) but I've only taken back 1 Garmin and it was a small 541s, we have taken our fair share of Lowrance units back (elite and HDS gen 1's mostly - zero HDS Touches). Speaking threads did you see the one where Garmin customers with the 8000 series were having major issues for several months this year? Garmin eventually took care of them but they have had problems too. If we (at West Marine) opened a unit and it wasn't performing the way it should no way would we leave it on display (at least at our store) i.e. we had gone through 3 Standard Horizon GPS combo 10" CP101i units before we yanked it off the shelf because they wouldn't boot up in demo mode correctly. Where are you located? If you're somewhere here in FL, I would like to offer you a ride on Simrad's demo Mako, which has the NSS 12 (non-evo2) and an NSS 7 evo2 running side by side so you'd be able to see the difference in the real world if you like. This is not me trying to convince you that you should buy a Simrad, rather me extending you a chance to have the proper experience with Simrad to evaluate it against the Garmin. I sell both and both are awesome units and you can't go wrong with either unit.
mahimahi99 is offline  
Old 09-09-2014, 03:30 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by mahimahi99 View Post
Which Flagship store was it? I work at the Flagship WM here in St. Pete and I'll be the 1st to tell you that we have quite a few associates that don't know what they should about the electronics, so that being the case are you sure the settings weren't messed up? The reason I say that is you'd be amazed after about 5 mins with some people playing with these things that they look so broken in ways I didn't think were possible I'm constantly going over and correcting them so they don't frustrate customers that might be passing by and looking at them in case an associate isn't available. That being said in the 3 years that I've been there, I haven't had to take any Simrads back (that's not saying there hasn't been any problems) but I've only taken back 1 Garmin and it was a small 541s, we have taken our fair share of Lowrance units back (elite and HDS gen 1's mostly - zero HDS Touches). Speaking threads did you see the one where Garmin customers with the 8000 series were having major issues for several months this year? Garmin eventually took care of them but they have had problems too. If we (at West Marine) opened a unit and it wasn't performing the way it should no way would we leave it on display (at least at our store) i.e. we had gone through 3 Standard Horizon GPS combo 10" CP101i units before we yanked it off the shelf because they wouldn't boot up in demo mode correctly. Where are you located? If you're somewhere here in FL, I would like to offer you a ride on Simrad's demo Mako, which has the NSS 12 (non-evo2) and an NSS 7 evo2 running side by side so you'd be able to see the difference in the real world if you like. This is not me trying to convince you that you should buy a Simrad, rather me extending you a chance to have the proper experience with Simrad to evaluate it against the Garmin. I sell both and both are awesome units and you can't go wrong with either unit.
Wow I wish the West Marine stores here in the Northeast had Demo Makos to display electronics.

Dam good offer but i'm sure someone will find a way to knock West Marine in all of this.
Lima Bravo is offline  
Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 577
Default

Originally Posted by swat1 View Post
That would be badass!!
Agree....also I am sceptical on these touch screens - how long are they really going to last and how well will problems be dealt with when they start hitting the end of their "touchy" lives in about 4 years time ????

It is for that reason I am still with push button technology.

Steve
igfafly is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:29 AM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location:
Posts: 1,020
Default

Originally Posted by haneyrm View Post
Would love to see a 10"-12" touchscreen version of the Garmin 740s. Same interface and functionality, just bigger screen.

Agree - the simplicity of the 740s makes it an amazing unit. I would buy a 1040s in a heartbeat.
mrobertson is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 AM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sw Florida
Posts: 916
Default

Damn .... and I finally just figured out how to operate/teak my LORAN-C !!!!
sxracer is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
  #26  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by sxracer View Post
Damn .... and I finally just figured out how to operate/teak my LORAN-C !!!!
flynn is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Greenville NC
Posts: 697
Default

The only qualm I have with my 1040xs is when I zoom in or out in navigation mode it takes a while before my tracks reappear. I use those tracks to stay on course so I have to be careful when changing zooms not to be near a course change.

All other actions are lightning fast.

I do have one other qualm actually. Really is annoying me. When the options pop up for the soft keys, they take up half the screen. There is no way to shrink them that I can find. My eyes are not that bad that I need gigantic words. I cannot stand it taking up most my screen. For heavens sake, give us the ability to change font size. Annoys me every time I think about it. There is also not a way to minimize or maximize these soft key options. Most of the time I do not need to see the options and I just want to minimize them.

OK, done complaining. It is a pretty solid and simple to use unit. In all, I am happy with it.
leftyNC is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,676
Default

Originally Posted by mrobertson View Post
Agree - the simplicity of the 740s makes it an amazing unit. I would buy a 1040s in a heartbeat.
You mean 740xs? and there is already a 1040xs....
VanW is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,773
Default

Originally Posted by leftyNC View Post
The only qualm I have with my 1040xs is when I zoom in or out in navigation mode it takes a while before my tracks reappear. I use those tracks to stay on course so I have to be careful when changing zooms not to be near a course change.


.
Try this:

Go to:
Menue...Chart setup...Chart Appearance...Detail, and then set it to normal.

And of course have the software current.
semperfifishing is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:38 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Greenville NC
Posts: 697
Default

Was this in the new software update Semper? I have not updated my software even though I know there is a new update.
leftyNC is offline  
Old 09-12-2014, 12:47 PM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,773
Default

Originally Posted by leftyNC View Post
Was this in the new software update Semper? I have not updated my software even though I know there is a new update.
GPSMAP 1040xs software version 2.80
as of September 5, 2014

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

Fixed an issue with certain TM150M transducers not being recognized and potentially being overpowered.
Fixed an issue with the odometer reporting an incorrect distance after a power cycle.
Fixed an issue with the next/previous commands potentially locking up Fusion audio devices.
Added additional NMEA 2000 compatible manufacturers.
Improved the Italian translations.
...............................

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

Fixed a defect introduced in Release 2.60 where the Sonar data graphs would not display the line graph.
Added support for A-scope visibility when traditional sonar is displayed in a custom combination.
Fixed the software update mechanism to support older GMR radars.

...............................

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

Added support for sharing internal sonar across the Garmin Marine Network.
Added ability to select the sonar source for traditional sonar, DownVü, and SideVü if multiple sources are available.
Added support for synchronized scroll rates between traditional sonar, DownVü, and SideVü. Includes improvements to scroll rates and new and improved Auto scroll rate.
Added customization options for sonar data overlays.
Added the ability to hide individual data fields on overlays.
Added support for Garmin Helm on Android devices. Note: Garmin Helm app requires version 1.20 for compatibility.
Added support for NMEA2000 and NMEA0183 GPS sensors.
Added support for Garmin Meteor 300 media black box.
Improved sailing (wind) gauge page.
Improved the user experience for marking waypoints on paused sonar.
Added support for resizing combination panes.
Fixed an issue where water speed wheels wouldn't function with DownVü transducers.
Fixed a shutdown on the engine page when the system language was Russian.
Fixed an issue with tides and currents dates being incorrect.
Other performance improvements and bug fixes.

Here is a link if anyone needs help with how to install:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...ml#post7104210
semperfifishing is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 12:44 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location:
Posts: 753
Default

Posted today: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2014/1...g-round-style/

Excerpt, emphasis mine:

"The catchy pitches included a James Bond-themed approach from David Dunn, Garmin’s head of sales, who flashed a Garmin watch that can steer a boat. Dunn also passed around a tiny handheld action camera, Garmin’s nautical answer to GoPro, and teased the audience by alluding to the 42 new products Garmin is poised to reveal at the Oct. 30-Nov. 3 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. He finished by answering questions about Garmin’s industry-leading Glass Helm."

lingcod is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 01:15 PM
  #33  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: BOEmarine.com
Posts: 17,516
Default

I guess Soundings Trade Only let the cat out of the bag about the new products.

Last edited by yachtjim; 10-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.
yachtjim is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM
  #34  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,676
Default

$$$$ is what I see in that paragraph...
VanW is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,773
Default


Packing guideline for upcoming boat shows.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 10-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
semperfifishing is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 PM
  #36  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,893
Default

Originally Posted by VanW View Post
$$$$ is what I see in that paragraph...
Yep....but it's only money
mahimahi99 is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,773
Default




And one of the positives about the boat shows are the Accessories...
semperfifishing is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dubrovnik,Croatia
Posts: 297
Default

Accessories,in the end, are always most expensive...
jaxy is offline  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 577
Default

aaaaah - slappers - good show !

Steve
igfafly is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread