Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Vessel view or not

Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vessel view or not

I have just bought a 257 wa and am going to install a lowrence hds7 with structure side scan. The boat has two mercury 200 efi labeled smartcraft. Just analog guages and was wondering if the vessel view was worth the money. Will it help my set up as far as fuel management? Better problem solving? Speed? Water temp?
Thanks
Steve
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 7,479
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Default

Yes, to answer all your questions. Which VesselView are you looking at?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

79-8M0058806
This is the part number that I was given and told that it would have everything I need. Do you agree Davidwademarine?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater London UK
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Navy tower View Post
79-8M0058806
This is the part number that I was given and told that it would have everything I need. Do you agree Davidwademarine?
That is a the very old VesselView - don't put to much money after that model. Don't pay a dime above $500 for a brand new one or $250 for a 2nd hand.

The new vesselview 4 can do the same as the old VV - and street price is about $800-$1000.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Man am I behind. The best I can find it is $1,300. Did see a used one for $695. Where should I be looking for the 4? And at what price.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:26 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
That is a the very old VesselView - don't put to much money after that model. Don't pay a dime above $500 for a brand new one or $250 for a 2nd hand.

The new vesselview 4 can do the same as the old VV - and street price is about $800-$1000.
Seen that you put the street price on here. Where do I look for the VV 4?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater London UK
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

The old VV is from ? 2006/2007 ish and is very v e r y slow

The VV4 can be picked up from Merc dealers. Part Number 8M0074096. Limited to Twin engines though.

Most dealers will sell it to you for $1000 - nice dealers $lower

You can also get the VV7 - retail at about $2000 - but is really a Simrad NSS7 without sounder - but with a $800 GPS enabler it will be a full chart plotter.

If you already have Simrad NSS - that will unlock the chart plotter functions as well. So in reality it is cheaper to buy a 2nd NSS7 to unlock the full system...
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
The old VV is from ? 2006/2007 ish and is very v e r y slow

The VV4 can be picked up from Merc dealers. Part Number 8M0074096. Limited to Twin engines though.

Most dealers will sell it to you for $1000 - nice dealers $lower

You can also get the VV7 - retail at about $2000 - but is really a Simrad NSS7 without sounder - but with a $800 GPS enabler it will be a full chart plotter.

If you already have Simrad NSS - that will unlock the chart plotter functions as well. So in reality it is cheaper to buy a 2nd NSS7 to unlock the full system...
I have recently bought a lowrence hds7. So from what I gather I am best with the VV7 but can get by with the VV4. The only difference is screen size. Either will give me water temps, rpm, fuel management and alarms for my twin 2003 Smartcraft 200 EFI. Is this correct?
Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

OK so I called a couple Mercury dealers this morning and they tell me that its just not cost effective to put vessel view on my boat. They said that being 2003 they probly don't have the correct sensors for the system even though the motors say Smartcraft Technology on them. I would have figured that the decal ment that they would have correct sensors but being as the boat did not come with smartcraft guages all that will need to be replaced.
Does anybody have any further knowledge or maybe installed a vessel view on twin 2003 200 EFI's?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 765
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Maybe I should look at controls for my hds 7??
Old 12-13-2015, 01:24 AM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fiji
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

resurrecting this thread as i have a 2004 smart craft compatible 250 EFI and I'm also trying to find out if a vessel view 4 or 7 will fit ?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.