Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

HDS8 GEN 2 purchase question

Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HDS8 GEN 2 purchase question

i am thinking of buying a HDS8 gen 2 package for my 20ft CC. I fish coast and offshore San Diego/Baja waters. I have a current Raymarine system that came with the boat when I bought it. I dont know much about FF, learning as I go. Anyway, my question is, if I buy a new HDS8 with the 50/200 transducer, is that all I need? In otherwords is it plug and play? I want to be able to use the gps, chartplotter as well as FF. Do I need to buy a chip? wiring? antenas? or does it come with everything I need?

thank you
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Look at the HDS Touch 7 instead. They have a combo package that has the transducer and the side scan transducer right now. IF that is all you need, then your done, it has internal GPS anteann, which works rather well. If you wanted to add NMEA 2000 products to it, like external GPS/heading sensor, then you would need the NMEA2000 starter kit. Or you could buy power cord, Tees, and terminators separately, but the kit is cheaper. The heading sensors are awesome, the lowrance is called the point one, however, the Simrad GS25 is actually a buck or two cheaper, but does not come with the Tee. The touch is brand new, so it would in theory be supported longer!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cmgreeniv View Post
Look at the HDS Touch 7 instead. They have a combo package that has the transducer and the side scan transducer right now. IF that is all you need, then your done, it has internal GPS anteann, which works rather well. If you wanted to add NMEA 2000 products to it, like external GPS/heading sensor, then you would need the NMEA2000 starter kit. Or you could buy power cord, Tees, and terminators separately, but the kit is cheaper. The heading sensors are awesome, the lowrance is called the point one, however, the Simrad GS25 is actually a buck or two cheaper, but does not come with the Tee. The touch is brand new, so it would in theory be supported longer!
thanks, i dont need a bunch of extras, just would like gps, charting and fish finding, side scan would be cool too, thats it. so, based on what I am wanting the HDS 7 touch would be the ticket?

thank you
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 16,457
Likes: 0
Received 1,132 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

There is a big difference in screen size between HDS-7 Touch and HDS-8. I have both units, and I would recommend going HDS-8 plus external StructureScan due to the screen size. HDS-9 Touch is of course also an alternative.

If you buy a unit with built-in charts you don't need anything in addition. You may consider buying a package without transducer and get a P66, or even better a B60 instead.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello... i totally agree on getting the HDS8 not the HDS 7... there is a big difference in screen size. I bought the 7 inch screen and sent it back and paid a bit more for the 8... well worth the price difference.
Can you help me understand the benefit or enhanced quality of getting the P66 or P60 over the usual 50/200. Thanks...Scott
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was talking the HDS TOUCH 7, vs the HDS 8... I like the extra size of the 8, but really like the touch features of the 7, and also like the ability to totally control HDS 7 touch with the IPAD, which you cannot do from the Gen 2s. Only view. The screen size difference is great, but the resolution is not that different.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Greater London UK
Posts: 1,082
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

My personal opinion is I like the old style 4:3 displays a lot better than the new 16:9 wide screen. But unfortunately the market is moving towards 16:9. I find 16:9 useless (in comparison) compared to 4:3 since you get more display "to the sides" vs where it matters - in front of you.

And radar on a 16:9 is daft compared to 4:3 where you don't have as much wasted space. So if Lowrance had a 10" touch 4:3 - that would be what I would purchase. But no... all new crap is 16:9 format.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 1,635
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
My personal opinion is I like the old style 4:3 displays a lot better than the new 16:9 wide screen. But unfortunately the market is moving towards 16:9. I find 16:9 useless (in comparison) compared to 4:3 since you get more display "to the sides" vs where it matters - in front of you.

And radar on a 16:9 is daft compared to 4:3 where you don't have as much wasted space. So if Lowrance had a 10" touch 4:3 - that would be what I would purchase. But no... all new crap is 16:9 format.

"in front of you" depends on what the application is. Radar or Chart, then I agree - you'd rather have a portrait-orientation display over landscape.. Sidescan sonar, or even traditional sonar - landscape wins (with the ability to put more side by side, or not).

I'd argue that the lion share of Lowrance's customers buy Lowrance for the sonar 1st, then the other features 2nd (and I expect radar is a small % of their overall customer install base).

What we need is a "16x9" display with a software option to allow you to rotate the screen
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,216
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by mwardncsu View Post
"in front of you" depends on what the application is. Radar or Chart, then I agree - you'd rather have a portrait-orientation display over landscape.. Sidescan sonar, or even traditional sonar - landscape wins (with the ability to put more side by side, or not).

I'd argue that the lion share of Lowrance's customers buy Lowrance for the sonar 1st, then the other features 2nd (and I expect radar is a small % of their overall customer install base).

What we need is a "16x9" display with a software option to allow you to rotate the screen
For sonar, 4:3 wins again, not 16:9. With 4:3 you get much more resolution. All you get with 16:9 is more historical data displayed. I would rather have more fish finder resolution. Side scan is the only place where 16:9 wins.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 1,635
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Fair point - though 16x9 gives me the ability split the screen to get sonar and chart or something with useful level of detail...
Old 07-31-2013, 03:49 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 225
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes, install, plug and play.

I've got an HDS8 (gen 1) that I use on my 20' pilot house all around San Diego waters. I also have the Radar and Structure scan. They added the same way, install and plug in. No external GPS puc or sounder module.

The only real question there is what maps it comes with. I think mine has insight maps which are plenty good. Even in my pilothouse the internal GPS works fine. You may want to upgrade maps with whichever one you choose.

After I used it for a while, I added the radar. Easy install. 6 months or so later, I added the structure scan. Easy as well. I love the structure scan for both inshore and local banks.


If you are questioning which unit to get... get as big as you can. Screen size is key, particularly if you later add structure scan or radar. I use the split screens all the time; either 2 or 3 splits. 16:9 is great for that.

See this for why I like the structure scan:
http://www.sandiegosteve.info/2013/0...scan-offshore/
Old 07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sandiegosteve View Post
Yes, install, plug and play.

I've got an HDS8 (gen 1) that I use on my 20' pilot house all around San Diego waters. I also have the Radar and Structure scan. They added the same way, install and plug in. No external GPS puc or sounder module.

The only real question there is what maps it comes with. I think mine has insight maps which are plenty good. Even in my pilothouse the internal GPS works fine. You may want to upgrade maps with whichever one you choose.

After I used it for a while, I added the radar. Easy install. 6 months or so later, I added the structure scan. Easy as well. I love the structure scan for both inshore and local banks.


If you are questioning which unit to get... get as big as you can. Screen size is key, particularly if you later add structure scan or radar. I use the split screens all the time; either 2 or 3 splits. 16:9 is great for that.

See this for why I like the structure scan:
http://www.sandiegosteve.info/2013/0...scan-offshore/

thank you, this is helpfull

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.