Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Marine Electronics Forum
Reload this Page >

Paper chart requirements....chart plotters...Ipads / Tablets.

Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Paper chart requirements....chart plotters...Ipads / Tablets.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 908
Likes: 0
Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Paper chart requirements....chart plotters...Ipads / Tablets.

Are paper charts required on pleasure boats?

I know my Ipad apps say something like "not for navigational purposes" or something like that... Do chart plotters carry a similar notice?

Are we still in the stone age on this?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

I'll be interested to see the answer here, because in Canada the answer is 'it depends'. For pleasure craft (i.e. non-commercial vessels) in Canada, charts are required except:

"Vessels less than 100 gross tons do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board if the operator has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the vessel is to be navigated is
not compromised:
• The location and character of charted:
- Shipping routes
- Lights, buoys and marks - Navigational hazards
• The prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns"

Curious if it's similar in the US.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yellowknife, NT, Canada
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

I should have added that "North of the Border", the question of whether a chart plotter can replace a paper chart:

"CHS paper charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations. CHS digital charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations under certain circumstances. CHS Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) meet the requirements provided they are used with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS). CHS raster charts meet the requirements only if paper charts are carried and used as a backup."

So (again, in Canada) you may replace your paper charts with electronic charts if they meet certain standards, otherwise you are supposed to have paper charts to backup your electronic charts.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:12 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 908
Likes: 0
Received 146 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

Thanks MN, that's helpful...

I think the US was headed in the same direction years ago. But, I think they have been remiss in moving forward with changing the chart carriage regs.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC/GA
Posts: 5,914
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Are paper charts required on pleasure boats?

Not in US waters, but I doubt you're going to find a chart plotter that doesn't have a navigation disclaimer. And a sextant isn't required, either ...
Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 2,443
Received 295 Likes on 162 Posts
Default

I've been boarded a few times and never asked to produce a chart.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 551
Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Paper charts are mandatory in Australia no mater which electronic ones you have.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,975
Likes: 0
Received 337 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mixed Nuts View Post
I should have added that "North of the Border", the question of whether a chart plotter can replace a paper chart:

"CHS paper charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations. CHS digital charts meet the requirements of the chart carriage regulations under certain circumstances. CHS Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs) meet the requirements provided they are used with an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS). CHS raster charts meet the requirements only if paper charts are carried and used as a backup."

So (again, in Canada) you may replace your paper charts with electronic charts if they meet certain standards, otherwise you are supposed to have paper charts to backup your electronic charts.

I'm pretty sure you also need redundant ecdis systems. IE 2 units from 2 different power supplies. and they must be approved systems which cost huge money. ie a laptop running the transas chart program doesn't count, but if you buy the computer unit from transas then it would.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:51 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 2,443
Received 295 Likes on 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I'm pretty sure you also need redundant ecdis systems. IE 2 units from 2 different power supplies. and they must be approved systems which cost huge money. ie a laptop running the transas chart program doesn't count, but if you buy the computer unit from transas then it would.
So a guy going out in a rowboat to catch a few Bluegill needs charts?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I looked up the latest doc on US Coast Guard requirements for boaters and it doesn't say charts are required. Here is their quick reference guide: http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...ations/420.PDF



There is a section on Nautical charts but it says nothing about it being required.

When I bought my first boat 10+ years ago, I was told they were mandatory and I am fairly certain when I asked for a voluntary inspection, they asked to see it. Regardless, unless someone has a better reference than above, I think we can safely do away with them in US for recreational boating.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 8,105
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts
Default

I just had a courtesy exam and was not asked to produce charts
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,640
Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aus Slipstream View Post
Paper charts are mandatory in Australia no mater which electronic ones you have.
That's not correct except for NSW, SA & NT and only when beyond beyond smooth water (offshore in affect). All other states it is only recommended as a good practice.

And for any pleasure boat big enough to handle an ENC system in AUS waters using "official" AusENC (and AusRNC in most instances) electronic charts then these will meet state chart regulations.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:19 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 551
Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
That's not correct except for NSW, SA & NT and only when beyond beyond smooth water (offshore in affect). All other states it is only recommended as a good practice.

And for any pleasure boat big enough to handle an ENC system in AUS waters using "official" AusENC (and AusRNC in most instances) electronic charts then these will meet state chart regulations.
Good to know, thanks.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.