Notices

Stereo cutting in and out

Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bayville, NJ Punta Gorda, Fl.
Posts: 129
Default Stereo cutting in and out

I bought a 2009 Key West 211 center console. The Jensen stereo works for a minute or two than the volume seems to cut out and breaks up and you can't here it anymore. When it works it works fine. There is a faceplate on the front of the. center console and the unit itself is assessible from inside the console. So it is a two piece unit.I have changed the antenna with a portable unit from West Marine. It did not work same results. The facemount stays on when the sound is not coming thru so I think thats fine. Scrathing my head because I don't want to replace the whole unit as it looks brand new. Thanks for all help.
big bob is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:50 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NJ, VA
Posts: 106
Default

My boat came with a JBL MBB 319.....2 piece unit (faceplate on dash, main unit in console) like you described...My radio started doing the same thing after 3 months....I believe water entered the faceplate after a hard rain and it never worked right again...it worked well all day, i pulled the boat and left it uncovered....we had a really hard rain for about 1 hour...and the next day it was acting goofy....the volume would turn up to full blast all by itself, then it would work properly for about a minute, and then no sound at all....I could have had it replaced under warranty, but I noticed it sold for less than $180 bucks...I didnt want it to happen again, and again, so I replaced it with and alpine 1 piece unit....more $$$, but hopefully I wont have the same problem agian.......
tidelee is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Elizabeth, Pa USA
Posts: 491
Default

Just sounds like you may have a corroded connection somewhere, or there is water in the actual unit. Does your display on the unit start going on the fritz when the volume starts messing up, or is it just the volume that does it? If it is just the volume that does it, I would say that it is a connection that may be loose or has corrosion. I would say check your speaker wires and clean the corrosion off of them and put good crimp connectors with heat shrink adhesive inside of them to protect it from happening in the future. However, if the unit is what is messing up after running and the display starts flickering and acting strange, I would say that you are probably going to need a new head unit.


Keith
threeriversmarine is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bayville, NJ Punta Gorda, Fl.
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by threeriversmarine View Post
Just sounds like you may have a corroded connection somewhere, or there is water in the actual unit. Does your display on the unit start going on the fritz when the volume starts messing up, or is it just the volume that does it? If it is just the volume that does it, I would say that it is a connection that may be loose or has corrosion. I would say check your speaker wires and clean the corrosion off of them and put good crimp connectors with heat shrink adhesive inside of them to protect it from happening in the future. However, if the unit is what is messing up after running and the display starts flickering and acting strange, I would say that you are probably going to need a new head unit.


Keith
Thanks guys. Keith it's just the volume that does it. The display on the faceplate seems to work solid. It stays on consistantly and you can see the radio station displayed along with the volume level but the sound fades out and disappears after about a minute but it appears that the unit is still on and working.
big bob is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,184
Default

Its a Jensen In a boat. It has ran it's course. They are junk. Trash it and get a fusion or clarion.
Flatout71 is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bayville, NJ Punta Gorda, Fl.
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by Flatout71 View Post
Its a Jensen In a boat. It has ran it's course. They are junk. Trash it and get a fusion or clarion.
The boat had less than 20 hours on it. I really don't want to put a great unit in it because I don't want someone else taking it home with them.
big bob is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 6,114
Default

Originally Posted by big bob View Post
The boat had less than 20 hours on it. I really don't want to put a great unit in it because I don't want someone else taking it home with them.
The Fusion RA200 is only about $200 Spend the money once and be done with it.

I've washed my boat and the radio (ra200) numerous times and it still works perfectly.
bluewaterseeker is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 227
Default

Originally Posted by bluewaterseeker View Post
The Fusion RA200 is only about $200 Spend the money once and be done with it.

I've washed my boat and the radio (ra200) numerous times and it still works perfectly.
X2 You really can't get much for less than 100 dollars so get the good one.
Drew S is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bayville, NJ Punta Gorda, Fl.
Posts: 129
Default

Thanks guys, I think it's the wiring connected to the speakers. They seem cheap and not tightly connected. If that doesn't work where is the best place to buy that Fushion stereo. I'm in Florida by Stuart?
big bob is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,418
Default

Originally Posted by big bob View Post
Thanks guys, I think it's the wiring connected to the speakers. They seem cheap and not tightly connected. If that doesn't work where is the best place to buy that Fushion stereo. I'm in Florida by Stuart?
The suggestion to replace that P.O.C. Jensen is well-founded. But Fusion is hardly your only choice, and probably not your best one. Once you complete your basic troubleshooting steps, take a close look at:

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...655132170.html

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...655197670.html

before making any decisions.



Itteldoo is offline  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 13
Default

Go with the fusion.
Catfishhk is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread