Notices

MX770's and M 400/4 amp... Which wires?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bayou Self, LA
Posts: 2,090
Default MX770's and M 400/4 amp... Which wires?

Hooking up two pairs of MX770's to a M400/4 amp (all JL products). Which wires do I need? Speaker wires, power wires, gauges, etc?

Thanks.
Seadonist is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PBG, FL
Posts: 8,933
Default

4 gauge power wires to amp positive and negative. I think 40 or 50 amp breaker or fuse on positive. 16 or 18 remote turn on lead. 14 gauge speaker wire
bradv is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bayou Self, LA
Posts: 2,090
Default

Originally Posted by bradv View Post
4 gauge power wires to amp positive and negative. I think 40 or 50 amp breaker or fuse on positive. 16 or 18 remote turn on lead. 14 gauge speaker wire
How about any wires needed to run from head unit to amp?

Thanks,
Seadonist is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: S Fla
Posts: 23,401
Default

I mean no disrespect here but I think this is got to be said. I've watched you ask all sorts of questions and I don't think you have an understanding of the basics of the system. It is very important if you're going to hook up a high-powered system to the battery and to other parts of the boat ,you understand how this works. You have an owners manual. Please read it before you ask anymore questions here. There are no wires going from the head unit to the amp, it uses shielded RCA cables as in monster cables. The basic question shows that you have a lot to learn
I say this because I want you safe. Anytime you're going straight to the battery you can take the boat completely up in flames if you don't know what you're doing. Please get some help and stop asking questions one off here , until you have an overall understanding of the system and then we would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Glen E is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
MB Marine Electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,110
Default

Use 4ga for power and ground 18ga is fine for the remote wire that goes from the radio to the amplifier and 16ga is fine for the speakers but you could use 14ga if you want something a little heavier. You will also need some RCA cables to go from the radio to the amplifier. For the RCA's you just need to figure out how long they need to be. There are very few marine RCA cables on the market JL makes some. The rest of the wire should be marine grade tinned.
MB Marine Electronics is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bayou Self, LA
Posts: 2,090
Default

Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
I mean no disrespect here but I think this is got to be said. I've watched you ask all sorts of questions and I don't think you have an understanding of the basics of the system. It is very important if you're going to hook up a high-powered system to the battery and to other parts of the boat ,you understand how this works. You have an owners manual. Please read it before you ask anymore questions here. There are no wires going from the head unit to the amp, it uses shielded RCA cables as in monster cables. The basic question shows that you have a lot to learn
I say this because I want you safe. Anytime you're going straight to the battery you can take the boat completely up in flames if you don't know what you're doing. Please get some help and stop asking questions one off here , until you have an overall understanding of the system and then we would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Glen, you are correct. I do not have a basic understanding of wiring a stereo. The reason I am asking these questions before having an owners manual is because I want to purchase the correct materials when I purchase the amp and speakers so I do not have to make multiple trips to the vendor, as they are roughly 60 miles away from me. Once I actually have the owners manual in hand, I am confident that I can take it from there, so please excuse the questions that may sound stupid to a pro. I do not do electronics for a living, or as a hobby; I sell steel, and if a total novice were to ask questions regarding the minimum yeild %2 of a 4140 NQ&T P110 material that sounded absurd to me, I would either give him the pertinent information that he was looking for, or I would just not respond to his question. If you feel as though my questions are waisting your time, please just scroll past any of my posts because I will continue to post questions on THT. No offense meant.
Seadonist is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bayou Self, LA
Posts: 2,090
Default

Originally Posted by MB Marine Electronics View Post
Use 4ga for power and ground 18ga is fine for the remote wire that goes from the radio to the amplifier and 16ga is fine for the speakers but you could use 14ga if you want something a little heavier. You will also need some RCA cables to go from the radio to the amplifier. For the RCA's you just need to figure out how long they need to be. There are very few marine RCA cables on the market JL makes some. The rest of the wire should be marine grade tinned.
Thanks, MB. You have been very helpful.
Seadonist is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,816
Default

I kinda agree with Glen E but: If your buying the products from a semi-local vendor, they should be able to tell (and sell) you everything you need.

Good luck and BTW: It's been years but I've seen these things hooked up incorrectly and get fried beyond repair. I probably have never read the owners manual for an amp but for your sake I hope it tells you what is needed for install (kinda like steel I guess, once you understand the basics, the process becomes easy)
t500hps is offline  
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bayou Self, LA
Posts: 2,090
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
I kinda agree with Glen E but: If your buying the products from a semi-local vendor, they should be able to tell (and sell) you everything you need.

Good luck and BTW: It's been years but I've seen these things hooked up incorrectly and get fried beyond repair. I probably have never read the owners manual for an amp but for your sake I hope it tells you what is needed for install (kinda like steel I guess, once you understand the basics, the process becomes easy)
Thanks for the advice. I only need help with my first install. After that I'll have the process down pat. Again, sorry if my questions sound stupid, but I want to do it right the first time.
Seadonist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread