Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Marine Electronics Forum
Reload this Page >

Electronics upgrade Before and After Pics

Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Electronics upgrade Before and After Pics

Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Electronics upgrade Before and After Pics

I wanted to share some pics of my electronics and dash upgrade I just completed. I replaced an older LCX104-c with 2 new HDS-7s and a Raymarine S1000 autopilot. ( That I got a sweet deal on) After getting installation quotes of almost $2K just for the HDS units i decided to do it myself. Prospect Plastics made the panel and did an awesome job. This was my first install and it took about 2 days with a few hours of planing. I am putting in a LWX-1 weather module this week and plan to replace the VHF and put in a NMEA 2K engine interface in the next month or so before it gets too hot.








Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: S Fla
Posts: 23,412
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

very nice - if you tear it down again have them round the corners....the black screws are a nice touch..acrylic is sooo much nicer looking than starboard...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,500
Received 528 Likes on 306 Posts
Default

Lookin' Good! Sent ya a pm about the old Lowrance
Old 02-28-2012, 07:25 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PORT ST LUCIE, FL
Posts: 3,491
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I like the look of those 2 HDS7's on the dash. I have been wanting a bigger screen but it would be cheaper just to by another 5 or 7 inch unit. I didn't think I had enough room but now I see I do. Here is what mine looks like. I no a HDS5 will work. Can I tie the two together?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
very nice - if you tear it down again have them round the corners....the black screws are a nice touch..acrylic is sooo much nicer looking than starboard...
glen the black screw idea was from one of your previous posts thank you
Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PORT ST LUCIE, FL
Posts: 3,491
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Is this the cable you would need to tie them together? I would like to use one for chart and one for fishfinder.
http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0119-88

I know I could just wire the other one and hook the transducer cable to which ever one I wanted for Fishfinder. I just think it would be better if both units could do both at the press of some buttons.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 316
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JOEKEN View Post
Is this the cable you would need to tie them together? I would like to use one for chart and one for fishfinder.
http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0119-88

I know I could just wire the other one and hook the transducer cable to which ever one I wanted for Fishfinder. I just think it would be better if both units could do both at the press of some buttons.
Wrong cable you need Ethernet cable. then you can use on ducer on both

Part #127-28 2ft Ethernet Cable
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JOEKEN View Post
Is this the cable you would need to tie them together? I would like to use one for chart and one for fishfinder.
http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0119-88

I know I could just wire the other one and hook the transducer cable to which ever one I wanted for Fishfinder. I just think it would be better if both units could do both at the press of some buttons.
no use this one

http://store.navico.com/Products/000-0127-28

You can share almost everything between the 2 waypoints, sonar.... temp
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PORT ST LUCIE, FL
Posts: 3,491
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,313
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Looks great! I would def consider rounding the corners...
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GatorContender View Post
Looks great! I would def consider rounding the corners...
Thanks Gator!

If I ever pull it off I may take back to them to do, I didn't think of it until you guys mentioned it. They are inside the perimeter so I you can't snag them and the edges are beveled, but I agree it would look better rounded. Live and Learn. The S1000 was a breeze to instal as well. Cant wait to fish with the autopilot.

Overall I have to say that I was happy with the results for my first time and just the cost of panel - That is another story all together. I called at least 5 places with dimensions and and asked for a "rough" estimate nobody could give me one... You would think if you cut and sell plastic all day everyday you would know what a 2x2 sheet of plastic with 3 holes in it would cost more or less??? One person actually responded to an Email and wanted $500 bucks! I told him he was about 5x what it should cost and he never wrote back....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: S Fla
Posts: 23,412
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Danny33486 View Post
Thanks Gator!

If I ever pull it off I may take back to them to do, I didn't think of it until you guys mentioned it. They are inside the perimeter so I you can't snag them and the edges are beveled, but I agree it would look better rounded. Live and Learn. The S1000 was a breeze to instal as well. Cant wait to fish with the autopilot.

Overall I have to say that I was happy with the results for my first time and just the cost of panel - That is another story all together. I called at least 5 places with dimensions and and asked for a "rough" estimate nobody could give me one... You would think if you cut and sell plastic all day everyday you would know what a 2x2 sheet of plastic with 3 holes in it would cost more or less??? One person actually responded to an Email and wanted $500 bucks! I told him he was about 5x what it should cost and he never wrote back....
how much from prospect plastics? also have them break the edge - "bullnose"
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
how much from prospect plastics? also have them break the edge - "bullnose"
I think it was $130. It is hard to tell in the pic but the edge is beveled and polished.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: S Fla
Posts: 23,412
Likes: 0
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Danny33486 View Post
I think it was $130. It is hard to tell in the pic but the edge is beveled and polished.
good - i thought they did that std....
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
  #15  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brookhaven, LI, NY
Posts: 15,772
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Looks awesome, nice job!!

Make sure you fasten that Euro style nmea connector to something, don't just leave it haning there...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Looks awesome, nice job!!

Make sure you fasten that Euro style nmea connector to something, don't just leave it haning there...
Thanks! lol I did. that was just a pic to see if the S1000 would recognize the GPS. I put the connector in a sealed project box from Radio Shack. The 2nd day of my install I forgot my drill battery and my buddy brought me one that only have about 5 holes worth of juice left in it. so I went back the next day and cleaned everything up and secured it.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nokomis, Florida
Posts: 1,402
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Would you please let me know the dimensions of the acrylic panel.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
MB Marine Electronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Looks good!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,745
Received 853 Likes on 410 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nfairbank View Post
Would you please let me know the dimensions of the acrylic panel.

Thanks
1/4 inch think it is about 21 x 21 give or take.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nokomis, Florida
Posts: 1,402
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Thanks for the dimensions and the inspiration.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.