Notices

Electronics for new 25' Competition CC

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,191
Default Electronics for new 25' Competition CC

A friend and I are going to purchase a new Competition 25: http://www.competitionboats.com/models_25.html.

Here's the options thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...tition-cc.html.

Here's the engines thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...tition-cc.html.

At this point we're leaning towards separate fishfinder and chartplotter.

We primarily fish in the Cheapeake Bay. The deepest areas we see are typically 80-100', but most of the time we're in 50' or less. One of the main fishing techniques is to drive around until we mark fish, then drop lures down to them.

We don't need radar or want the additional cost.

Cost is a factor, as is real estate.

We're thinking about the FCV-585 for the fishfinder: http://furuno.com/en/business_produc...&category=Fish

And the C95 for the chartplotter: http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDeta...8&PRODUCT=4405

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
Cooper is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Waterford,CT
Posts: 875
Default

If you have the room go for the c127 and use the built in sonar if not stay with the c97, it will do very well in the areas you are going to fish. You could also use the money saved on the Furuno and to take advantage of the new CP450C CHIRP sonar.
tpp517 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MD/DC & IRI - 05 Southport 26 Honda 225s
Posts: 3,914
Default

Have you considered structure scan sonar? I would think the 3D image and ability to see off to the sides would be very useful for the fishing you describe.
Frank007 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,314
Default

I am very satsfied with garmin units, and with their new sounder module, they should be awesome...

I love their upgrade ability, customer support, and ease of use with the GPS...I like their look and feel too.

I know you spend most time in shallower water, but since your goign new with the boat, get at least a 600kw transducer so you wont have to worry about replacing one, or the next owner...
GatorContender is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: sebastian, floriduh
Posts: 2,100
Default

Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
A friend and I are going to purchase a new Competition 25: http://www.competitionboats.com/models_25.html.

Here's the options thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...tition-cc.html.

Here's the engines thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...tition-cc.html.

At this point we're leaning towards separate fishfinder and chartplotter.

We primarily fish in the Cheapeake Bay. The deepest areas we see are typically 80-100', but most of the time we're in 50' or less. One of the main fishing techniques is to drive around until we mark fish, then drop lures down to them.

We don't need radar or want the additional cost.

Cost is a factor, as is real estate.

We're thinking about the FCV-585 for the fishfinder: http://furuno.com/en/business_produc...&category=Fish

And the C95 for the chartplotter: http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDeta...8&PRODUCT=4405

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks!
im quite the fan of garmin stuff the sounder included. i know everyone and their mother bitches about the gsd 22 but i used one with the updated software and i was very happy with it.

all i do is commercial spearfishing so the sounder is quite important to me. on the last boat i did a 4210, the gsd 22 and a b164 transducer. on this boat i went with a 4212, the gsd 22 and a m260 transducer.

the m260 is quite a bit "more" transducer than the b164. all you lose with the m260 is water temp which you can get a separate probe for. the biggest thing you should spend time researching and money on sounder wise is the transducer. call airmar or pm semperfi on here and ask them their opinions.

i cant stand raymarine stuff. if you are set on the separate units i would do a 4000 series chartplotter and the furuno 585 for your sounder. that would be a sweet combo. when i got my electronics the gsd 24 wasnt out yet. if i were doing it now i would go with the 24 over the 22 although im very happy with the 22.
toolate390 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,314
Default

Originally Posted by too.late View Post
im quite the fan of garmin stuff the sounder included. i know everyone and their mother bitches about the gsd 22 but i used one with the updated software and i was very happy with it.

all i do is commercial spearfishing so the sounder is quite important to me. on the last boat i did a 4210, the gsd 22 and a b164 transducer. on this boat i went with a 4212, the gsd 22 and a m260 transducer.

the m260 is quite a bit "more" transducer than the b164. all you lose with the m260 is water temp which you can get a separate probe for. the biggest thing you should spend time researching and money on sounder wise is the transducer. call airmar or pm semperfi on here and ask them their opinions.

i cant stand raymarine stuff. if you are set on the separate units i would do a 4000 series chartplotter and the furuno 585 for your sounder. that would be a sweet combo. when i got my electronics the gsd 24 wasnt out yet. if i were doing it now i would go with the 24 over the 22 although im very happy with the 22.
I also am happy with my GSD22...But recognize that the 24 should be more than capable for the recreational fisher
GatorContender is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,299
Default

I'm with ya 100 percent on the Furuno 585. Awesome unit. I have it and love it. I don't think I'd own anything other than Furuno for a bottom machine.

For the GPS, I'd probably go Garmin. I have the 5212 touchscreen and I find the ease of use and intuitiveness to be wonderful. I cannot stand Raymarine products, at least when it comes to GPS. Their bottom machines aren't bad, but again, can't beat the Furuno. I never thought I would like garmin much until I got this unit. I can't imagine going back to anything else. I've owned Lowrance and thought their GPS units were pretty easy to figure out without getting out the manual. Furuno, Raymarine -- no way.

The transducer is up to you, but I'd personally go with a 1kw even for your shallow water. With that power in a good Airmar transducer, you'll be able to tell the difference between a bud light bottle and a Coors light bottle on the bottom of the ocean. DON'T skimp on the bottom machine/transducer.
coores14 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,191
Default

Originally Posted by tpp517 View Post
If you have the room go for the c127 and use the built in sonar if not stay with the c97, it will do very well in the areas you are going to fish. You could also use the money saved on the Furuno and to take advantage of the new CP450C CHIRP sonar.
We are now eyeing the c127. It looks like a real slick unit. I had the first generation e80 and liked it a lot.
Cooper is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,191
Default

Originally Posted by GatorContender View Post
I am very satsfied with garmin units, and with their new sounder module, they should be awesome...

I love their upgrade ability, customer support, and ease of use with the GPS...I like their look and feel too.

I know you spend most time in shallower water, but since your goign new with the boat, get at least a 600kw transducer so you wont have to worry about replacing one, or the next owner...
I checked out garmin, but their prices seem to be through the roof for anything except their oldest models. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or at the wrong units.
Cooper is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,191
Default

Originally Posted by Frank007 View Post
Have you considered structure scan sonar? I would think the 3D image and ability to see off to the sides would be very useful for the fishing you describe.
I had structure scan on my last boat. It was really nice, but I never got as much use out of as I would have liked. It can't read much above certain speeds, it doesn't do well when there's any chop, and it's hard to actually capitalize on the information seen on screen. At least for me, "it's not there yet".
Cooper is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread