Notices

Garmin gpsmap 180

Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Posts: 561
Default Garmin gpsmap 180

Do not laugh. I have this unit that uses the Micro-G chips. I bought a redundant unit a few years back off of Ebay.

My problem with both units is that the internal batteries have failed. Long past Garmin warranty or service support.

I opened the unit, but the battery appears to be located behind the motherboard. I can not see if it is soldered in place or even removable.

Any suggestions for repair? I hate the thought of throwing away. They served me well and gave me good basic service.
Con21 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,808
Default

You probably need to take the main board out. they're always soldered in place. Most marine electronics shops will have new batteries on hand, but call 1st with the numbers off of the battery to be sure. If you bring them both main boards only ready to go, you'll definitely save some $ for the labor of diss-assembly.
mstyle8517 is online now  
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
............. If you bring them both main boards only ready to go, you'll definitely save some $ for the labor of diss-assembly.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most shops have a minimum labor charge and technicians don't like to work on equipment that you've already taken apart. I've been that technician. Often, the owner has caused far more damage that the original problem.

Besides, he's assumng that the problem is a dead battery. It could be something else entirely.

Better plan is to find a shop that will work on it and tell them "It doesn't work anymore. How much will it cost to fix it?"

Best plan is to realize that it has reached the end of its life cycle and replace it with a modern unit.
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NC/GA
Posts: 5,914
Default

It could be something else entirely.

I'm bettin the unit works just fine, but all memory data is lost when powered down. When it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it might be a chicken?
Curmudgeon is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It could be something else entirely.

I'm bettin the unit works just fine, but all memory data is lost when powered down. When it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it might be a chicken?
I know and have known some people who jump to conclusions and just start replacing parts untill the problem goes away. It's not a very efficient method of troubleshooting.

So - instead of replacing the battery to see if that's the problem, how about testing the battery?
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,431
Default

Originally Posted by Con21 View Post
Do not laugh. I have this unit that uses the Micro-G chips. I bought a redundant unit a few years back off of Ebay.

My problem with both units is that the internal batteries have failed. Long past Garmin warranty or service support.

I opened the unit, but the battery appears to be located behind the motherboard. I can not see if it is soldered in place or even removable.

Any suggestions for repair? I hate the thought of throwing away. They served me well and gave me good basic service.
When you throw it away and buy a new unit you will hate life, the new garmins are nothing like the older units we got so use to, they are not nearly as user friendly for the average fisherman, they may be fine if all you want to do is ride the waterway and look at a pretty picture. If you find someone to work on your unit how about pm me, I have a brand new c182 that will not come on. We have all discovered that "GARMIN" has become so independent that they will not service any unit that has been discontinued, what a POS policy!
zigzag is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by ZIGZAG View Post
When you throw it away and buy a new unit you will hate life, the new garmins are nothing like the older units we got so use to, they are not nearly as user friendly for the average fisherman, they may be fine if all you want to do is ride the waterway and look at a pretty picture. If you find someone to work on your unit how about pm me, I have a brand new c182 that will not come on. We have all discovered that "GARMIN" has become so independent that they will not service any unit that has been discontinued, what a POS policy!
Same thing with Dell. I tried to get some help on my DOS system and they refused!
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,808
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Most shops have a minimum labor charge and technicians don't like to work on equipment that you've already taken apart. I've been that technician. Often, the owner has caused far more damage that the original problem.

Besides, he's assumng that the problem is a dead battery. It could be something else entirely.

Better plan is to find a shop that will work on it and tell them "It doesn't work anymore. How much will it cost to fix it?"

Best plan is to realize that it has reached the end of its life cycle and replace it with a modern unit.
These units have a self battery check when powered on - I'm guessing that's how the OP knows the batteries are toast. I work with an electronics shop who would be happy to service just the batteries - Any shop that wouldn't want to make a quick buck switching a couple of batteries out is not practicing smart business in these times in my opinion.
mstyle8517 is online now  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
newellchunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern, NC
Posts: 1,156
Default

Here you go con21!::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-GPS-1...item3a6bcf565e
newellchunker is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,431
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Same thing with Dell. I tried to get some help on my DOS system and they refused!
Could be they have been reading the hull and knew before hand who they were going to have to deal with.
zigzag is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
These units have a self battery check when powered on - I'm guessing that's how the OP knows the batteries are toast. I work with an electronics shop who would be happy to service just the batteries - Any shop that wouldn't want to make a quick buck switching a couple of batteries out is not practicing smart business in these times in my opinion.
I'm thinking you don't own an electronics repair shop.

So you ask one of your technicians to take apart something he or she has never worked on before and has no service information on, find a battery (possibly unmarked and since it's presumably "dead" there's no voltage to measure), locate a source for a replacement, order it, pay for the battery and shipping, install it, and put the unit back together, not knowing if that was really the problem in the first place, and then collect for parts and labor from the customer even if replacing the battery did not solve the problem.

But, if you actually know of a shop that will do just that, please, be a dear and let everyone know about it. Name and phone number so the OP and anyone else with obsolete equipment can get it repaired.
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,808
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm thinking you don't own an electronics repair shop.

So you ask one of your technicians to take apart something he or she has never worked on before and has no service information on, find a battery (possibly unmarked and since it's presumably "dead" there's no voltage to measure), locate a source for a replacement, order it, pay for the battery and shipping, install it, and put the unit back together, not knowing if that was really the problem in the first place, and then collect for parts and labor from the customer even if replacing the battery did not solve the problem.

But, if you actually know of a shop that will do just that, please, be a dear and let everyone know about it. Name and phone number so the OP and anyone else with obsolete equipment can get it repaired.
I own Max Marine Electronics, officially launching in Jan. 2012, but up and running now. Sort of a hobby gone business-sure beats what I was doing before.

If you ask me, if you can't take apart a small unit like this, even if you've never worked on one before, you have no business working on anything larger. Am I certified - heck no, but I've resurrected more than my fair share of units from the dead, and done plenty of routine maintenance (like battery swaps) on similar units. I operate on the assumption that a unit isn't dead or obsolete until the owner decides it is, not on the assumption that if I bash my client's older unit, maybe they'll buy a new one from me. In fact, I sell almost no new equipment - it isn't equitable because of all these internet cowboys charging $50 more than dealer cost. I'm more concerned with creating long-term clients than I am with slapping someone with a minimum hour labor charge of $105.00/hour plus inflated part prices to replace a battery. That being said - I'll take you up on your offer. My name is Max Stein, I am the owner of Max Marine Electronics, and my phone number is 561-674-3308. If you want to sell your old electronics, need something repaired, or are in the market for used/replacement equipment, feel free to give me a ring or shoot me a pm. In addition to my regular clientele, I sell on eBay under the username 8517mstyle, and I have over 1100 happy customers. Thanks for the free advertising sir!
mstyle8517 is online now  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
I own Max Marine Electronics, officially launching in Jan. 2012, but up and running now. Sort of a hobby gone business-sure beats what I was doing before.

If you ask me, if you can't take apart a small unit like this, even if you've never worked on one before, you have no business working on anything larger. Am I certified - heck no, but I've resurrected more than my fair share of units from the dead, and done plenty of routine maintenance (like battery swaps) on similar units. I operate on the assumption that a unit isn't dead or obsolete until the owner decides it is, not on the assumption that if I bash my client's older unit, maybe they'll buy a new one from me. In fact, I sell almost no new equipment - it isn't equitable because of all these internet cowboys charging $50 more than dealer cost. I'm more concerned with creating long-term clients than I am with slapping someone with a minimum hour labor charge of $105.00/hour plus inflated part prices to replace a battery. That being said - I'll take you up on your offer. My name is Max Stein, I am the owner of Max Marine Electronics, and my phone number is 561-674-3308. If you want to sell your old electronics, need something repaired, or are in the market for used/replacement equipment, feel free to give me a ring or shoot me a pm. In addition to my regular clientele, I sell on eBay under the username 8517mstyle, and I have over 1100 happy customers. Thanks for the free advertising sir!
There you go everybody. Send him your obsolete but beloved equipment for repair.

BTW: As a retired electronic technician, I'm sure I could take a GPS apart, find the battery, and replace it. I just don't think I could make a profit doing it if I was paying rent and technicians.

When I worked in a school as a computer support person, we had a lab of thirty Hyundai PCs and the company stopped making them and parts for them. The batteries went bad in a couple and no replacements were available so I found the battery, found replacements, and soldered them in. The difference was, I had working units to compare them to, I was working for the government so time was not a serious issue, and they were stationary so vibration was not an issue with the replacements and soldering them into place.

The other difference was, nobody was counting on these PCs to guide them home.
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,431
Default

Originally Posted by mstyle8517 View Post
I own Max Marine Electronics, officially launching in Jan. 2012, but up and running now. Sort of a hobby gone business-sure beats what I was doing before.

If you ask me, if you can't take apart a small unit like this, even if you've never worked on one before, you have no business working on anything larger. Am I certified - heck no, but I've resurrected more than my fair share of units from the dead, and done plenty of routine maintenance (like battery swaps) on similar units. I operate on the assumption that a unit isn't dead or obsolete until the owner decides it is, not on the assumption that if I bash my client's older unit, maybe they'll buy a new one from me. In fact, I sell almost no new equipment - it isn't equitable because of all these internet cowboys charging $50 more than dealer cost. I'm more concerned with creating long-term clients than I am with slapping someone with a minimum hour labor charge of $105.00/hour plus inflated part prices to replace a battery. That being said - I'll take you up on your offer. My name is Max Stein, I am the owner of Max Marine Electronics, and my phone number is 561-674-3308. If you want to sell your old electronics, need something repaired, or are in the market for used/replacement equipment, feel free to give me a ring or shoot me a pm. In addition to my regular clientele, I sell on eBay under the username 8517mstyle, and I have over 1100 happy customers. Thanks for the free advertising sir!
glad there are still people around like yourself that haven't been government employed all their lives and still realize they can think for themselves and are still genuine "repairmen", not just throw away techs
zigzag is offline  
Old 10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,431
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
There you go everybody. Send him your obsolete but beloved equipment for repair.


I was working for the government so time was not a serious issue, and they were stationary so vibration was not an issue with the replacements and soldering them into place.

Post by Post, things are getting clearer and clearer
zigzag is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,431
Default

Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You realize, I hope, that you are an idiot.

Can the battery be replaced if time (and cost) is not an issue? Probably.

Is it cost effective at $100.00 or so per hour to replace it - Absolutely not.

Go back and read my posts s l o w l y !
No, I wouldn't say I'm an idiot, I'm not the one that keeps bragging about working for the government, time and money no object sort of thing, Most of us had to think for "ourselves" along the way. If a man wanting to repair an otherwise perfectly good unit makes us an idiot, it's easier to see with a "government workers" attitude of screw it, throw it away, a taxpayer will buy us the newest greatest it get's clearer just how bad off this country is getting. Maybe we'll start a thread and let you coach us thru what is cost effective, wish you could coach a few of your former employers. Thanks for helping clear things up.
zigzag is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by ZIGZAG View Post
No, I wouldn't say I'm an idiot, I'm not the one that keeps bragging about working for the government, time and money no object sort of thing, Most of us had to think for "ourselves" along the way. If a man wanting to repair an otherwise perfectly good unit makes us an idiot, it's easier to see with a "government workers" attitude of screw it, throw it away, a taxpayer will buy us the newest greatest it get's clearer just how bad off this country is getting. Maybe we'll start a thread and let you coach us thru what is cost effective, wish you could coach a few of your former employers. Thanks for helping clear things up.
If you had read my post, you would have read that I did in fact repair several "unrepairable" computers by replacing the non-replacable (soldered in) CMOS batteries. I was able to do this because time and costs were not a constraint. The teachers were happy, the administration was happy, and classes could go on without students sharing the remaining computers.

You're talking about "wanting to repair an otherwise perfectly good unit". I am just trying to point out that spending perhaps $200 to repair an obsolete piece of equipment that can be bought on ebay for $50 is not the best plan.

As far as "clearing things up", I suspect with you and your pre-conceived opinions, that's a pretty hopeless cause.
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by ZIGZAG View Post
.........., it's easier to see with a "government workers" attitude of screw it, throw it away, a taxpayer will buy us the newest greatest it get's clearer just how bad off this country is getting. .............
If you had been around to watch me, you would have seen that I worked just as hard and just as efficiently for the government as I would have worked in the private sector. I was raised that way.
rwidman is offline  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Posts: 561
Default

As far as buying another, third unit on Ebay, not a viable option. The age of these units, the batteries are failing due to age. I have two units now in this condition and two boats to put them on.

I know it's the battery because I took a portable 12V battery to the wiring and they powered right up. It's my winter project to toy with them but I will need to take it to a shop to find a new battery for the board.

We have become a disposable society; obviously I would not pay a tech at $100/hr to work hours on the unit. But before I go out and pay $500-600 for the latest and greatest it's worth it to explore the realm of the possible.

Thanks to all that indicate there is a market for repairs of these older units.
Con21 is offline  
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Posts: 561
Default

Wow, for those of you that think I am wasting my time, the battery is a $1 lithium battery you can pick up at any CVS store. Now if I can just hone my soldering skills. $1 is definitely less than $500.

By the way, I am a career military officer. We have many electronics techs in the military that do micro miniature repair rather than spending thousands of dollars to throw a unit away and pay the defense contractors tens of thousands of dollars for a brand new part. We repair at the local level what we are trained to repair and are supplied with the piece parts. Depot level repairables go back to OEM to repair vice spending hundreds of thousands for a completely new spare.

Unfortunately I am not an electronics tech myself, nor would it be ethical for me to ask someone at work to do my personal repairs for me. Not everyone in Government is wasteful, rather it's the policies your elected officials enact that lead to waste and inefficiency.
Con21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread