The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Marine Electronics Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/)
-   -   DSC and new MMSI number? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/380043-dsc-new-mmsi-number.html)

ryoung 10-02-2011 12:08 PM

DSC and new MMSI number?
 
So, what am I doing wrong? I just purchased a new radio and want to get a number, I go to the BoatUs site to obtain an MMSI number and I fill in and submit the required information. I immediately get a message back stating that there are no new MMSI numbers available. What the hell?

rwidman 10-02-2011 12:18 PM

Try again.

Phlorida 10-02-2011 01:38 PM

I tried it also a few minutes ago. Same error - no more MMSI numbers.

CMEBoston 10-02-2011 01:45 PM

the boatus, Seatow, Coast gaurd and FCC MMSI databases are so screwed up right now I belive it. I have been at the NMEA convention for the last few days and we had a forum on the MMSI issue. I dont remember them saying they would be putting the kybosh on the boatus service but you can get it from the FCC directly as well.

ryoung 10-02-2011 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by rwidman (Post 4062563)
Try again.

I tried it yesterday afternoon and again this morning with no luck. At least I know that it's not just me, thanks Phlorida. They give a phone number to call for more information and I will try that tomorrow morning.

CMEBoston 10-02-2011 01:54 PM

I tried as well, No new accounts avalible. Try the FCC or coast Gaurd website. they are trying to eliminate duplicate numbers. the issue is if someone with a duplicate MMSI # hits the distress button and the VHF does not have a GPS signal they have no idea where to start looking.

divefreak 10-02-2011 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by CMEBoston (Post 4062713)
I tried as well, No new accounts avalible. Try the FCC or coast Gaurd website. they are trying to eliminate duplicate numbers. the issue is if someone with a duplicate MMSI # hits the distress button and the VHF does not have a GPS signal they have no idea where to start looking.

donīt want to offend anyone, but your current system for mmsi for pleasure vessels doesnīt match international rules.

each and every boat should have its callsign and MMSI reported to the ITU by the FCC.


my boats:

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/s...081854&QUANTUM

and

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/s...n&2140321&FLOH

ryoung 10-02-2011 02:11 PM


Originally Posted by CMEBoston (Post 4062713)
I tried as well, No new accounts avalible. Try the FCC or coast Gaurd website. they are trying to eliminate duplicate numbers. the issue is if someone with a duplicate MMSI # hits the distress button and the VHF does not have a GPS signal they have no idea where to start looking.

The FCC site referred me to the SeaTow site and that worked fine, I have my MMSI number now.
Thanks guys.

CMEBoston 10-02-2011 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by divefreak (Post 4062739)
donīt want to offend anyone, but your current system for mmsi for pleasure vessels doesnīt match international rules.

each and every boat should have its callsign and MMSI reported to the ITU by the FCC.


my boats:

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/s...081854&QUANTUM

and

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/mars/s...n&2140321&FLOH

You arent offending me, The CG wants more laws and the FCC wants more control of MMSI registrations, menwhile owners are not properly filling out MMSI forms, Making numbers up, not properly wiring equipment ETC.........

Phlorida 10-02-2011 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by ryoung (Post 4062742)
The FCC site referred me to the SeaTow site and that worked fine, I have my MMSI number now.
Thanks guys.

I did the same, thanks for the tip. The SeaTow site works fine.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.