Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

GSD22 xducer upgrade

Old 08-30-2011, 10:45 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSD22 xducer upgrade

I installed a GSD22 this spring and it came with a transom mount std transducer that I cant even find specs for. Its weak, to say the least. I dont need to read bottom at 1000, but I do need to be able to see fish and rocks at 300-400 feet.
Im not going to upgrade to the GDS24, but I do hope to pick up a quality used GSD22 compatible xducer from someone who does. Im OK with a thru-hull type but have a 24 degree deadrise all the way to the transom. What should I be looking for ?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,889
Likes: 0
Received 1,695 Likes on 928 Posts
Default

A B164 should serve you well and your dead rise is no problem for the flush mount thru the hull.
The model number for a Garmin is B164-20-6G for a 24 degree hull.

You can also use the Airmar P66 transom mount..far better than the OEM for Garmin...and not as costly as the B164.

And the Airmar P66HP is 20 times more sensitive than the standard P66 .

I will Pm you more information on all these transducers.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Does that xtra sensitivity translate into better definition at the same depth range, or extra power for deeper use. I'm wigging out at 300' and need a bit more than that.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:49 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,889
Likes: 0
Received 1,695 Likes on 928 Posts
Default

When upgrading to a higher quality transducer both definition and an increase in depth comes into play.

Consider this.

Doubling the size of the transducers piezoelectric element (Crystal) is almost the same as quadrupling the output power.

For example: 200 watts thru a 4' element will reach almost the same depths as 800 watts firing thru a 2' element.

And add to that.. having a larger element increases the ability of the transducer to detect the return signal...that is the important issue here.

But power and depth is secondary to the transducers ability to accurately detect the reflected signal of the target.

As each level of transducer upgrade several elements come into play.

I would take the B164 over the B60 any day.
For example:
The P66, B60 , B744, are all single element transducers using the same element for both 50 kHz and 200 kHz.

The B164 is a three element & the Tm258 is a 4 element transducer.
These have higher quality elements that are engineered to give increased performance by dealing with the 50 & 200 kHz separately.
the B164 is 6 times more sensitive than the B60 and the Tm258 is 25 times more sensitive.

Now go to the Tm260.
This has 8 high quality tuned elements and is 50 times more sensitive than the B60.

So , the higher end transducers all have the ability for deeper penetration but more importantly they are far more sensitive to the return signal due to the multielement design and increased quality of the piezoelectric elements.

in a nutshell...at any level of upgrade one will find a positive for the sonars performance.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 09-09-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brookhaven, LI, NY
Posts: 15,772
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

B164, you will love it.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast, Fl
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
When upgrading to a higher quality transducer both definition and an increase in depth comes into play.

Consider this.

Doubling the size of the transducers piezoelectric element (Crystal) is almost the same as quadrupling the output power.

For example: 200 watts thru a 4' element will reach almost the same depths as 800 watts firing thru a 2' element.

And add to that.. having a larger element increases the ability of the transducer to detect the return signal...that is the important issue here.

But power and depth is secondary to the transducers ability to accurately detect the reflected signal of the target.

As each level of transducer upgrade several elements come into play.

I would take the B164 over the B60 any day.
For example:
The P66, B60 , B744, are all single element transducers using the same element for both 50 kHz and 200 kHz.

The B164 is a three element & the Tm258 is a 4 element transducer.
These have higher quality elements that are engineered to give increased performance by dealing with the 50 & 200 kHz separately.
the B164 is 6 times more sensitive than the B60 and the Tm258 is 25 times more sensitive.

Now go to the Tm260.
This has 8 high quality tuned elements and is 50 times more sensitive than the B60.

So , the higher end transducers all have the ability for deeper penetration but more importantly they are far more sensitive to the return signal due to the multielement design and increased quality of the piezoelectric elements.

in a nutshell...at any level of upgrade one will find a positive for the sonars performance.
Hey Gil, On a solid fiberglass hull would you get better performance from an M260 w/temp sensor or a B164?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,889
Likes: 0
Received 1,695 Likes on 928 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dolphan View Post
Hey Gil, On a solid fiberglass hull would you get better performance from an M260 w/temp sensor or a B164?
What are your fishing conditions?...how deep?


Generally speaking the M260 should outperform the B164 hands down as long as it is correctly mounted and you are firing 1kw.
The M260 like the B260 and the Tm260 is still about 46 times more sensitive than the B164...and in water less than 600' -700' the results should be excellent...if not deeper.

Of course you have a slight loss of signal by shooting thru the hull but that should only be noticed at the extreme depths etc.

The key here is having a solid hull and mounted correctly.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:45 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast, Fl
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
What are your fishing conditions?...how deep?

Of course you have a slight loss of signal by shooting thru the hull but that should only be noticed at the extreme depths etc.

The key here is having a solid hull and mounted correctly.
I fish 95% of the time under 600 feet. I do fish up to 1800' rarely but if I can just mark bottom I am good. Then if I want to convert to chirp I just add the B265 to the same box?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,889
Likes: 0
Received 1,695 Likes on 928 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dolphan View Post
I fish 95% of the time under 600 feet. I do fish up to 1800' rarely but if I can just mark bottom I am good. Then if I want to convert to chirp I just add the B265 to the same box?
Correct..the wet box will be the same size for both the M260 and the M265.


1800'..wow...if you are going slow..a calm day etc..you might track bottom..but with the CHIRP a stronger possibility there.

There so many variables with the in hull units.

Many of my customers have lost bottom from 1200' to 1500' with the M260..depending on hull type , speed and conditions etc.

Some claim deeper but they also fib about the size of the fish they catch among other things.

PM sent.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.