Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Marine Electronics Forum
Reload this Page >

Another New GARMIN Update Released Today

Notices

Another New GARMIN Update Released Today

Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,399
Default Another New GARMIN Update Released Today

Hi All,

Just FYI, Garmin released several updates today, aimed at fixing any lock ups with Radar and Sonar and new AIS functionality. The new update includes lockup fixes for the Chartplotter, New Radar Software and new AIS600 software to support SART messages.
SaltyG is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,836
Default

Thanks, SaltyG.
But, this is getting friggin' rediculous...
How about they just make a wireless device that can install these updates automatically?? 3 updates in about a month???
Waitaminute...how about properly testing the product BEFORE it is released to the general public...now isn't that a novel idea...
OK, now that I've counted to 10. Rant done.
It is kinda silly tho...you figure they could consolidate these into fewer updates.
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,399
Default

Yeah, I think we all partially agree. It would be nice if there were a lot less bug fixes needed, which would reduce the number of updates. But overall, I would much rather them push out updates to fix the issues quickly like they do, than not address the issues. Plus, they always seem to include a few more new features and improvements along with the updates, many times they aren't listed, but they are there. So, overall, I am glad they are pushing out new features and quickly addressing bug fixes with updates. They have made a lot of performance improvements and new functionality this year alone in their GSD and HD radar units and new devices like their AIS line. So, I am sure they are into millions of lines of code. Point well made, but until life is perfect, I am happy they keep pushing out updates.
SaltyG is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,836
Default

I see your point as well. I'd rather go through the hassle of these updates than have the problems ignored. It just seems that Garmin isn't taking the time to properly test before releasing the product, and then depending on us beta testers to work the bugs out for them, IMHO.
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Charleston, SC USA
Posts: 22,073
Default

Originally Posted by Wolakrab View Post
I see your point as well. I'd rather go through the hassle of these updates than have the problems ignored. It just seems that Garmin isn't taking the time to properly test before releasing the product, and then depending on us beta testers to work the bugs out for them, IMHO.
It's amazing how changing one thing in aprogram can affect so many other things, sometimes obscure things. I used to create databases for other people to use. Just a slight change in a querey could screw up some of the reports.

What Garmin is dealing with is much more complex. And remember, the program supports dozens of different hardware items manufactured over many years. It's really not possible for them to test every feature for every combination of supported equipment.

Ever noticed how many updates Microsoft ends up publishing for their operating systems? Now they are the ones who should have the resources for complete testing.

Since there's nothing in the latest updates that affects me right now, I think I'll lay off the updates for a while. That's just me. Other folks may need them.
rwidman is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,399
Default

Ron makes 2 good points...1 - most people should probably only apply the updates if they need the new functionality or if they are having a problem that the update fixes. I think if you need updates once in the fall and once in the spring, that is probably all that you need to do, unless you end up with a specific combination of equipment that is having problems and then you can always try the latest update. Like they say...if its not broke, don't fix it. Me - I always have to put in the latest updates. 2 - not only does Garmin have to support their own devices, plus their legacy devices, look at all the NMEA 2000 and 0183 products that are out there and now networking products that will all interface with their equipment. For example, I have the Merc Monitor NMEA gateway. Garmin made a lot of engine page updates to support the new data that the gateway was putting out. So, they can always do more testing, but they will always need us "field testers" to help them find and fix all the bugs, plus we get to submit wish list items and sometimes get the new stuff we asked for.
SaltyG is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM
  #7  
CME
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,846
Default

Garmin going for Pavlov's Dog theory? Look for updates and ultimately see their new units online? I suppose it's one way to get customers to go online and look at the newer models..


You garmin guys won't know what to do if you didn't have a monthly update....
CME is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 926
Default

You garmin guys won't know what to do if you didn't have a monthly update....
Trust me. I've been getting monthly updates for 40 years. I can do without them.
GerryRM3 is offline  
Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
  #9  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,106
Default

I'd rather have the updates than not.

I had a Northstar 660 explorer..and in the year and a half I owned it..there weren't ANY updates-even on NEW units. And believe me..they NEEDED some updates.
Joe is offline  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 3,966
Default

Updates are welcome. Not all updates are bug fixes. Some simply improve the functionality of a unit.

It would be nice to buy units with zero bugs that have been tested by selected beta testers (I volunteer) for a year or so with all bugs eliminated before release. The trouble with that is the units would be obsolete before going on the market. The competitiveness of the market drives earlier releases with slightly less than perfect gear.

The big upside of software improvements is delayed obsolescence.
Butch Davis is offline  
Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Freeport, Grand Bahama
Posts: 1,382
Default

Sorry to tell you this, but I am having the same installation problems with this update as I had with the last one. Had to install it in both units, even though those units are on the network. It locked up in both units at the end, even though I let it run for 30+ minutes. I wonder what is up with Garmin these days, they can't seem to get anything right.
NOLIMIT40 is offline  
Old 11-13-2010, 05:08 PM
  #12  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,106
Default

No problems on my 6208..finished in <10 minutes.
Joe is offline  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,399
Default

Yeah, no problem here, I have a lot of network devices, 2 - 7212, GSD, AIS600, 604XHD, GMI 10, GHP10 - all installed fine, in about 10 to 15 minutes, no problem at all.
SaltyG is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:56 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,836
Default

I'm no software guy, so I don't understand(nor want to)the complexities and intricancies of the operating software on these units. I'll download and install them on my 4208...that's about it. Maybe grumble about it from time to time...it's just another boat maintenance item to add to the list. FWIW, I do like the unit and the support from Garmin, and they have done well by me. I never have had a problem with installing the updates...well, maybe once when I didn't unzip the file before saving it to the SD card...like I said, I am no software guru...
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ipswich, MA.
Posts: 24
Default

I see no reason to be unhappy with a company that supports its products via free firmware releases that one can download and install themselves. Try that on a FURUNO, and it is back to the shop.

Further, think of how complex this all is, some people use radar, some do not, some use sounders, some do not, some use one model of a radome others use another, some have XM, some do not, etc. A lot of permutations and interaction that makes testing difficult. One person has many waypoints and uses routes and another never does and that memory is free, it goes on and on.

It used to be you bought a unit and that was it. Now you essentially have a specialized computer, runing a proprietary operating system, where only a fraction of numbers are sold annually compared to Intel, Microsoft, IBM etc. SO, yes we are the test bed if you want to look at it this way. But, we end up with a much better system in the end. But someday, it will have to end on the old series because there is just not enough memory or processor speed to support all of the additional functionality and complexities in it.
melkal is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM
  #16  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 3,801
Default

Originally Posted by NOLIMIT40 View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but I am having the same installation problems with this update as I had with the last one. Had to install it in both units, even though those units are on the network. It locked up in both units at the end, even though I let it run for 30+ minutes. I wonder what is up with Garmin these days, they can't seem to get anything right.

From Garmins website.

warning:
This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.

If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service

Ken
Ken T is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location:
Posts: 66
Default

Nicely stated. I can only say that technology being what it is today, I would rather update my system at no charge with a few glitches than be forced to replace the complete network with model changes.
hwbjr is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 177
Default

5.90 came with my 4210...I haven't upgraded with any of the last 2-3 updates...sooner or later I will get to it. I am happy with 5.90...no one says you have to upgrade.
squidhound is offline  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,720
Default

Originally Posted by melkal View Post
I see no reason to be unhappy with a company that supports its products via free firmware releases that one can download and install themselves. Try that on a FURUNO, and it is back to the shop.

Further, think of how complex this all is, some people use radar, some do not, some use sounders, some do not, some use one model of a radome others use another, some have XM, some do not, etc. A lot of permutations and interaction that makes testing difficult. One person has many waypoints and uses routes and another never does and that memory is free, it goes on and on.

It used to be you bought a unit and that was it. Now you essentially have a specialized computer, runing a proprietary operating system, where only a fraction of numbers are sold annually compared to Intel, Microsoft, IBM etc. SO, yes we are the test bed if you want to look at it this way. But, we end up with a much better system in the end. But someday, it will have to end on the old series because there is just not enough memory or processor speed to support all of the additional functionality and complexities in it.
Well actually the new generation Furuno NavNet 3D units are also user-upgradeable with downloaded software to an SD card. The free NOAA raster and vector charts also get periodic updates and can be downloaded and installed from an SD card.
Nomans is offline  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Brookhaven, LI, NY
Posts: 15,755
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyG View Post
Yeah, I think we all partially agree. It would be nice if there were a lot less bug fixes needed, which would reduce the number of updates. But overall, I would much rather them push out updates to fix the issues quickly like they do, than not address the issues. Plus, they always seem to include a few more new features and improvements along with the updates, many times they aren't listed, but they are there. So, overall, I am glad they are pushing out new features and quickly addressing bug fixes with updates. They have made a lot of performance improvements and new functionality this year alone in their GSD and HD radar units and new devices like their AIS line. So, I am sure they are into millions of lines of code. Point well made, but until life is perfect, I am happy they keep pushing out updates.

Well said. I personally LOVE the updates!! I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with them at all, and that includes any bugs. As already mentioned in here, it's not possible for them to test every possible scenario when they make software changes, there are litterally 100's of thousands of different scenarios users can have ther plotters configured. Different hardware, different network connections, different uses of the software, different settings while using the software, different screens, combo's, data boxes confgiured.... add them all together, there are probably 100's of thousands of scenario's they would need to test. in tat case, they would still be testing the 1st release, and none of us would own a 5000/6000 series plotter, cause garmin would still be testing.

I'm in IT, a Microsoft house (meaning we run mostly Microsoft software). Well, I have over 100 thousand dollars worth of hardware, to do nothibng, but UPDATE our software on a DAILY basis. We get 100's of software updates, every single day. Its' just a fact of life in the software world, get used to it.

All that said, I actually LIKE to install the updates. It ussualy take 6 minutes, 2 minutes to download it, 1 minute to unpack the file and copy to my SD card, then 2 minutes to update the plotter. I enjoy it, cause it's another excuse to run down to the marina.... then I get to play with the software and see what new features they have added, and what I like, don't like, can use....
Birdman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread