Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Auto Pilot help

Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 1,058
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto Pilot help

I just bought a new boat. I have added a Raymarine C-120W, RD418D Radar, DSM 300, P66 transducer. I want to add autopilot. Should I go with Raymarine? If not raymarine, what brand would you recommend?

What all will I head? I know I will need heading sensor, what else?

Anybody have a system for sale?

I have a brand new raymarine sirius satellite radio/weather receiver, complete system, including cables, and antennas. I would be willing to trade.

In case you need to know, O have a 2007 Angler 2700 w/twin yami 224 4-strokes. Thanks for the help and advice
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tidewater, VA
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have had great results with my Raymarine APs. On my last boat (a Wellcraft 290 Coastal) I had an S1G course computer and an ST6001 display head, and it drove that boat great!

My current boat is a Luhrs 38 Open, and on that I have an X30 course computer and the ST70 Pilot control head. This system is totally integrated with my E-Wide MFD, and works GREAT!

The beauty of going with a Raymarine system is that you can achieve that total integration. You can designate a waypoint (or goto cursor), and engage the AP from the display directly. The AP will provide the fast heading data your system needs to allow for very smooth overlay of radar on your chart on the chartplotter.

I'd recommend an X10 and ST70 to go with your size boat. I'm betting that (if you have hydraulic steering) a Type 1 Pump is also what you need.

Question - with that great system you have, why are you not going to use the weather also? I've also got the weather system on my boat, and LOVE IT! While radar gives you the "now" picture, the weather can give you insight into what's "coming soon."

Joe
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 1,058
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Joe,

I have the weather module. Do you really think that I need it? I like the idea of the sirius radio, to be able to pick up football games in the fall, and music while fishing, but is the weather module necessary. I am new to fishing, so I am unsure what I could use the weather for, other than dodging storms.

specifically, how will it make me a better fisherman? A better Boat captain? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 494
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
I have had great results with my Raymarine APs. On my last boat (a Wellcraft 290 Coastal) I had an S1G course computer and an ST6001 display head, and it drove that boat great!

My current boat is a Luhrs 38 Open, and on that I have an X30 course computer and the ST70 Pilot control head. This system is totally integrated with my E-Wide MFD, and works GREAT!

The beauty of going with a Raymarine system is that you can achieve that total integration. You can designate a waypoint (or goto cursor), and engage the AP from the display directly. The AP will provide the fast heading data your system needs to allow for very smooth overlay of radar on your chart on the chartplotter.

I'd recommend an X10 and ST70 to go with your size boat. I'm betting that (if you have hydraulic steering) a Type 1 Pump is also what you need.

Question - with that great system you have, why are you not going to use the weather also? I've also got the weather system on my boat, and LOVE IT! While radar gives you the "now" picture, the weather can give you insight into what's "coming soon."

Joe
I agree but go with the x-30 and type 2 pump-more money but will last longer

AS far as a better fisherman ????

Only time will tell

IKAT
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM
  #5  
CME
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,869
Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either the S1000 or an X-10 Sysytem from Raymarine.

-100% integration with all the Raymarine plotters
-no rudder feedback unit for operation needed
-fishing patterns, ie zig-zag, square, etc.

Nice systems!

I would do the X-10 over the S1000.....I have had them both.

x-10 http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDeta...8&PRODUCT=4191

S1000 http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDeta...8&PRODUCT=3011
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Floaters
Posts: 6,426
Received 582 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

Get a unit that will integrate with your ray marine stuff. As for weather. If you don't have it but can afford it, you are a crazy man
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tidewater, VA
Posts: 1,166
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wraypau View Post
Joe,

I have the weather module. Do you really think that I need it? I like the idea of the sirius radio, to be able to pick up football games in the fall, and music while fishing, but is the weather module necessary. I am new to fishing, so I am unsure what I could use the weather for, other than dodging storms.

specifically, how will it make me a better fisherman? A better Boat captain? Thanks!
Don't know where you boat, but here in Tidewater, VA, storms can come up, and knowing they're there AND which way they're tracking, WILL make you a better boat captain because you will have more information at your hands. What you do with that information is up to you (safety first!).

Other capabilities with the weather is the ability to see where the temperature breaks are. All sea surface temperatures (SST) come from the same satellites, so if you subscribe to any of the popular services, you will have the data. But being able to SEE that information on your MFD, and drop a waypoint on that temp break, AND track to that waypoint, CAN make you a better fisherman.

Other data available from the weather receiver include wind speed and direction, wave height and direction, and info from the offshore buoys. All of this can contribute to better fishing and safer boating.

IMHO, you have a great tool available to you in the weather receiver (and a great entertainment capability with the Sirius audio), you need to get it installed and see for yourself how it can improve your TOTAL boating experience.

Or not.

Joe
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Plymouth Ma.
Posts: 8,089
Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by IKAT View Post


I agree but go with the x-30 and type 2 pump-more money but will last longer

AS far as a better fisherman ????

Only time will tell

IKAT
Actually this is bad advice, one of the worst things to do is overpump a steering cylinder in an autopilot system.
go with the reccomended pumpset for your steering cylinder....most likley a type 1.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Panama City, Florida
Posts: 1,058
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

ok, i have decided to keep the Raymarine sirius weather radio. Seems like it could be useful. Just the $30 a month is blah, but whatever....

I am looking into the S1000. If that will not work, I will go witht eh ST70 X-10 package. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.