The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Marine Electronics Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum-19/)
-   -   Lowarance HDS-10 Fuel Management Help (https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/270431-lowarance-hds-10-fuel-management-help.html)

onemilehigh 03-08-2010 07:05 AM

Lowarance HDS-10 Fuel Management Help
 
I've been trying to figure out how to use the fuel management features of the Lowrance HDS-10. I've got a Yamaha F150 connected via NMEA 2000 and have no problem displaying the fuel flow, fuel tank level, etc. in the HDS-10 info screens. When I go to the "Fuel" menu and press "calibrate" I get this:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...0/shot%201.png

OK fair enough. Filled up tank and via the Refuel screen I selected the "Set to full" option which should present me with calibration options as outlined in the above message?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...0/shot%203.png
But instead all I get is this:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...0/shot%204.png
The fuel management would be very useful for me. If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thx.

racedad70 03-08-2010 09:46 AM

OK, I am new to this as well. I just went through this myself.

First off, Do you have a fuel flow meter(EP60r) Lowrance model tied into your NMEA 2000 network? If not that is your problem, it has to have one to read fuel flow.
I have read somewhere on here that the Lowrance will not see the Yamaha flow device. You will need the lowrance fuel flow device.

I bought a LMF 200, ep60r fuel flow meter and two HDS 7's and hooked it all up over the week end and found I did not even need the LMF 200, because once the fuel flow is tied into the network the HDS units picks it up and will allow you to set your parameters.
Hope this helped. Contact a board member by the name"tcm" here and he is very knowledgable on these units.

onemilehigh 03-08-2010 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by racedad70 (Post 2835085)
OK, I am new to this as well. I just went through this myself.

First off, Do you have a fuel flow meter(EP60r) Lowrance model tied into your NMEA 2000 network? If not that is your problem, it has to have one to read fuel flow.
I have read somewhere on here that the Lowrance will not see the Yamaha flow device. You will need the lowrance fuel flow device.

I bought a LMF 200, ep60r fuel flow meter and two HDS 7's and hooked it all up over the week end and found I did not even need the LMF 200, because once the fuel flow is tied into the network the HDS units picks it up and will allow you to set your parameters.
Hope this helped. Contact a board member by the name"tcm" here and he is very knowledgable on these units.

I do not have the EP60R but I do have my Yamaha engine tied in via NMEA2000 and it DOES show fuel flow on the info screens. It would make no sense to me to have to have a Lowrance sensor when the whole idea of NMEA is to SHARE data, but I am starting to suspect you are right.....no Lowrance fuel flow....no fuel flow data, which is very disappointing for a 2K+ unit.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...oto%284%29.jpg
This is looking at the device data from the Yamaha. You can see it is being reported as Fuel Rate and the value is fine (.53 gal/hr).

racedad70 03-08-2010 10:57 AM


Originally Posted by onemilehigh (Post 2835188)
I do not have the EP60R but I do have my Yamaha engine tied in via NMEA2000 and it DOES show fuel flow on the info screens. It would make no sense to me to have to have a Lowrance sensor when the whole idea of NMEA is to SHARE data, but I am starting to suspect you are right.....no Lowrance fuel flow....no fuel flow data, which is very disappointing for a 2K+ unit.

Do you have the round or square Yamaha guages? I have round digital not the square command link. There is a big difference in the two. I just ordered the lowrance cable for the Yamaha so I can use the guages on the HDS as well.

I know over the week end, I did adjust those parameters that you showed on your unit.:roll

onemilehigh 03-08-2010 11:53 AM


Originally Posted by racedad70 (Post 2835228)
Do you have the round or square Yamaha guages? I have round digital not the square command link. There is a big difference in the two. I just ordered the lowrance cable for the Yamaha so I can use the guages on the HDS as well.

I know over the week end, I did adjust those parameters that you showed on your unit.:roll

Square gauges. See pic above. The fuel rate should be available from any sensor, not just the Lowrance.

racedad70 03-08-2010 12:18 PM

Hmm! That is really strange. If its showing the device you should be able to adjust its parameters.;?

Maybe the board member tcm will chime in on this one. Im curiouse myself now.

I was reading in the manual that if you have a fluid level sensor, there was a parameter in the fuel flow that could not be adjusted. Im wondering if because its reading your fuel level sensor from your command link it has diabled that calibration fuction.

I assume this is what has happened. I will find it in my manual when I get home and let you know. I know the 10 is different than the 7's but same principle.

Here is what was in the manual: Not sure if this pertains to your situation.
Caution
If you configure your fluid level for fuel, you will NOT be able to
get a fuel range reading. Fuel Range will NOT be calculated
with a fluid level sensor. It will only be calculated with an
engine interface, EP-10 Fuel Flow or EP-50 Storage Device.

onemilehigh 03-08-2010 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by racedad70 (Post 2835406)
Hmm! That is really strange. If its showing the device you should be able to adjust its parameters.;?

Maybe the board member tcm will chime in on this one. Im curiouse myself now.

I was reading in the manual that if you have a fluid level sensor, there was a parameter in the fuel flow that could not be adjusted. Im wondering if because its reading your fuel level sensor from your command link it has diabled that calibration fuction.

I assume this is what has happened. I will find it in my manual when I get home and let you know. I know the 10 is different than the 7's but same principle.

Here is what was in the manual: Not sure if this pertains to your situation.
Caution
If you configure your fluid level for fuel, you will NOT be able to
get a fuel range reading. Fuel Range will NOT be calculated
with a fluid level sensor. It will only be calculated with an
engine interface, EP-10 Fuel Flow or EP-50 Storage Device.

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Lowrance today, they really don't have an answer. Unless you can get someone technical and willing to explore the real problem on the phone, it will never be resolved. I really think it's a problem with how they have the fuel mgmt screen set up (Since the fuel flow data shows up in the Info screens). The HDS-10 wants to "calibrate" it as if it's a fuel flow sensor, but it cannot be calibrated since it's data coming from the Yamaha engine.....not a sensor. You need to be able to use the fuel flow data without being forced to calibrate, then it would work. Guess I'll keep trying to resolve this via Tech Support. Wish I knew a tech on the inside that would be willing to help!

onemilehigh 03-08-2010 09:19 PM

racedad, would love to see how your fuel flow sensor is represented in the HDS. Could you post a pic? This is how my data is looking:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...0/shot%206.png

Capt.Popeye 03-08-2010 11:49 PM

Hds
 
Sorry to but into your post but I just bought an HDS 8 last summer and I friggin love it best 2-grand I ever spent. If you don't mind me asking, I have a 225 merc on my boat do I need a different sensor then you do or is it generic to the Lawrance? how much does it cost anyway? I got the seperate antenna with mine 5 updates a second is unreal.

Jim

onemilehigh 03-09-2010 04:33 AM


Originally Posted by Capt.Popeye (Post 2836860)
Sorry to but into your post but I just bought an HDS 8 last summer and I friggin love it best 2-grand I ever spent. If you don't mind me asking, I have a 225 merc on my boat do I need a different sensor then you do or is it generic to the Lawrance? how much does it cost anyway? I got the seperate antenna with mine 5 updates a second is unreal.

Jim

Lowrance makes their own fuel flow sensor, the EP-60R. http://www.lei-extras.com/store/add.asp?aon=120%2D39

Plugs into the NMEA 2000 network. If you don't have NMEA 2000 set up yet, you would need the starter kit too: http://www.lei-extras.com/store/add.asp?aon=124%2D69

racedad70 03-09-2010 06:37 AM


Originally Posted by onemilehigh (Post 2836770)
racedad, would love to see how your fuel flow sensor is represented in the HDS. Could you post a pic? This is how my data is looking:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_SryEg95ypUI/S5...0/shot%206.png

I will get a couple shots as soon as I can. Long hours this week at work.:mad: Its messing with my F*** off time.:rofl:

racedad70 03-09-2010 06:42 AM


Originally Posted by Capt.Popeye (Post 2836860)
Sorry to but into your post but I just bought an HDS 8 last summer and I friggin love it best 2-grand I ever spent. If you don't mind me asking, I have a 225 merc on my boat do I need a different sensor then you do or is it generic to the Lawrance? how much does it cost anyway? I got the seperate antenna with mine 5 updates a second is unreal.

Jim

Jim,

As onemile said, you need the 60r and NMEA starter kit to tie in your HDS 8 and fuelflow sensor.Its real easy. And I also have the LGC 4000 antenna that I installed. I just have not had the boat out to try all my new toys yet. Glad to here the updates though.
Butch

racedad70 03-09-2010 02:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
onemile,
Here are some shots! I could not stand it any longer and snuck out early..... I believe though if I hook up the cable to the engine, I will lose some functions of calibration.

onemilehigh 03-09-2010 02:22 PM

racedad, kudos for sneaking out AND snapping those pics. you def. have different data on your network than i do. it looks like your fuel sensor reports more than just fuel rate. guess i should just buy the darn sensor and be done with it. what's another 75 bucks and couple hours of my life :)

racedad70 03-09-2010 02:37 PM


Originally Posted by onemilehigh (Post 2838155)
racedad, kudos for sneaking out AND snapping those pics. you def. have different data on your network than i do. it looks like your fuel sensor reports more than just fuel rate. guess i should just buy the darn sensor and be done with it. what's another 75 bucks and couple hours of my life :)

onemile, You still may have the issue with calibration due to the unit reading your command link, fuel fill indicator. I will let you know once I get my cable from LEI and add it to the network and Yamaha. I dont mind setting the full fill option when cheking GPH and fuel used. From what I have read, once your NMEA detects a fuel level device the option goes away.;?

onemilehigh 03-09-2010 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by racedad70 (Post 2838198)
onemile, You still may have the issue with calibration due to the unit reading your command link, fuel fill indicator. I will let you know once I get my cable from LEI and add it to the network and Yamaha. I dont mind setting the full fill option when cheking GPH and fuel used. From what I have read, once your NMEA detects a fuel level device the option goes away.;?

Yes, please keep me posted on how things are working together. This has been an interesting learning experience. Would be great if they designed this to work with any fuel flow sensor, not just their own.

racedad70 03-09-2010 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by onemilehigh (Post 2838218)
Yes, please keep me posted on how things are working together. This has been an interesting learning experience. Would be great if they designed this to work with any fuel flow sensor, not just their own.

Will do! I agree, seems to me if they make a network cable for the Yamaha then they would make their units to recognize the engine devices as well.:thumbsup:

Capt.Popeye 03-09-2010 07:02 PM

thnx all

Dhuwest 03-11-2010 12:40 AM

I think this
 
I think this is what I have been asking the Suzuki and Lowrance dealer here in Perth/Australia that are about to fit my new DF175.
I have a HDS7M and was told I need to fit a LMF-400 or LMF200 with the EP-60R to get fuel management,but if I have read this right a couple of you guys have the EP-60R working direct with your HDS units via your NMEA network.
So please be kind but from what some of you guys have done is just used the EP-60R into your NMEA network and the HDS has read it, is that right.
I'm asking this like a knob because after a phone call to Lowrance Australia and Suzuki they have told me I have to wait for Suzuki to bring out there new cable in a few weeks because there is NO other way to have fuel managment other than buying there gauges being it Suzuki or Lowrance.

onemilehigh 03-11-2010 05:38 AM


Originally Posted by Dhuwest (Post 2842117)
I think this is what I have been asking the Suzuki and Lowrance dealer here in Perth/Australia that are about to fit my new DF175.
I have a HDS7M and was told I need to fit a LMF-400 or LMF200 with the EP-60R to get fuel management,but if I have read this right a couple of you guys have the EP-60R working direct with your HDS units via your NMEA network.
So please be kind but from what some of you guys have done is just used the EP-60R into your NMEA network and the HDS has read it, is that right.
I'm asking this like a knob because after a phone call to Lowrance Australia and Suzuki they have told me I have to wait for Suzuki to bring out there new cable in a few weeks because there is NO other way to have fuel managment other than buying there gauges being it Suzuki or Lowrance.

No need for the gauges (LMF-400/LMF-200) unless you want dedicated gauges to look at. With the EP-60R you will be able to see fuel flow and use the fuel management features of the HDS.

You might not even need the EP-60R once the new Suzuki cable comes out? From the looks of their discontinued cable it supplied the same data the EP-60R does. http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...ine-Interface/


Here is the HDS7 user guide, it clearly shows the fuel data:
http://mediabase.edbasa.com/kunder/navico/download.php?object_id=navidoc~54081227&f=/images/TIBE/device/navico/library/navidoc/navidoc/navidoc/j2009/m03/t31/0001248_2.pdf&fc=HDS-5M-7M-GPS_OM_EN_988_0176_02_B_w.pdf&type=download


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.