Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Garmin echoMap 74sv

Old 04-19-2021, 07:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Garmin echoMap 74sv

I have a “first Gen” echoMap, the one that snaps into the mount and has three different plugs that sit in the back of the mount.

I know one is power cable, but can anyone explain what the middle and right cable is for?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:00 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,813
Likes: 0
Received 1,688 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

On many of the older units you will have power, transducer and NMEA 1083.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:06 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by semperfifishing View Post
On many of the older units you will have power, transducer and NMEA 1083.
It is the older non-chirp, non-plus unit.. so if I got ANOTHER echoMap unit of the same era and model (used obviously,) would they be able to share sonar and mapping data with each other? Someone told me on another forum that the original echoMaps can’t share data, but I thought that’s what that 3rd cable was for in the back of the unit....
Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,338
Received 1,600 Likes on 1,218 Posts
Default

Garmin makes many different transducers,
some wired with 4 pins, some 8, some 12
depending on their range of function.

The original Echomap has two 4-pin transducer connectors -
"XDCR" and "SIDEVU"
and shipped with two adapter cables
to connect either a 4, 8, or 12 pin compatible transducer
  • 12-pin transducer to dual 4-pin sounder adapter y-cable
  • 8-pin transducer to 4-pin sounder adapter cable
There is no ability for sharing with another unit.

Name:  back-of-echomap.png
Views: 80
Size:  382.2 KB
Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fwpratt View Post
Garmin makes many different transducers,
some wired with 4 pins, some 8, some 12
depending on their range of function.

The original Echomap has two 4-pin transducer connectors -
"XDCR" and "SIDEVU"
and shipped with two adapter cables
to connect either a 4, 8, or 12 pin compatible transducer
  • 12-pin transducer to dual 4-pin sounder adapter y-cable
  • 8-pin transducer to 4-pin sounder adapter cable
There is no ability for sharing with another unit.

Attachment 1125875
okay, in that case, what are the extra blue and brown wires for on my power harness? My thought was that these connected to the blue and brown of another unit to share map and sonar info with each other.. garmins site also shows the original echoMap to have NMEA 0183 capability

im not doubting what y’all are saying by the way, I’m just confused because I always thought they could share. Educate me (:
Old 04-20-2021, 07:13 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,338
Received 1,600 Likes on 1,218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
what are the extra blue and brown wires for on my power harness? . garmins site also shows the original echoMap to have NMEA 0183 capability
They do "have NMEA 0183 capability";
that is the blue and brown wires,
but that is limited to some specific numeric data.

So being fully accurate,
there IS something that they can "share"
but I doubt it is what you are hoping to have...

below are the lists of the NMEA 0183 "sentences"
that the unit can transmit and receive;
any data that is both transmitted and received
can be 'shared' between two units.

So, for instance,
if you have only one transducer, and it is connected to one unit,
and you have a second unit connected via NMEA 0183,
the transducer-less unit can display the numeric depth value
and the water temperature
but you won't see any sonar 'picture'.

Name:  left.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  76.1 KB

Name:  right-side.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  61.8 KB

Last edited by Fwpratt; 04-20-2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:06 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fwpratt View Post
They do "have NMEA 0183 capability";
that is the blue and brown wires,
but that is limited to some specific numeric data.

So being fully accurate,
there IS something that they can "share"
but I doubt it is what you are hoping to have...

below are the lists of the NMEA 0183 "sentences"
that the unit can transmit and receive;
any data that is both transmitted and received
can be 'shared' between two units.

So, for instance,
if you have only one transducer, and it is connected to one unit,
and you have a second unit connected via NMEA 0183,
the transducer-less unit can display the numeric depth value
and the water temperature
but you won't see any sonar 'picture'.

Attachment 1125877

Attachment 1125878
Im putting the 2nd unit on the bow of my boat for bass fishing. It will have its own transducer on the trolling motor

really all I’m trying to figure out is if say I mark a waypoint on the bow graph when I find some structure I like while using the trolling motor....

Will that bow unit send the waypoint info to the console unit and show the waypoint on the console unit? That’s really all I’m concerned with is waypoint sharing. If I’m reading your chart correctly, it appears that they would be capable of doing so...?

Thank you for the chart by the way
Old 04-20-2021, 08:09 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,338
Received 1,600 Likes on 1,218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
Will that bow unit send the waypoint info to the console unit and show the waypoint on the console unit?
ahh.
Well "WPL" is both transmitted and received -
so while I've never tried it,
here's what Garmin says:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...7A0077081.html

You can share waypoint and route data
between two compatible chartplotters installed on your boat.
You must turn on user data sharing for both devices to share data.


Select User Data > User Data Sharing > On
on both devices.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,349
Received 302 Likes on 204 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fwpratt View Post
ahh.
Well "WPL" is both transmitted and received -
so while I've never tried it,
here's what Garmin says:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...7A0077081.html

You can share waypoint and route data
between two compatible chartplotters installed on your boat.
You must turn on user data sharing for both devices to share data.


Select User Data > User Data Sharing > On
on both devices.
Great info! Thank you! So basically from the looks of it, if I connect the brown and blue wires from each unit together so long as they are compatible, waypoint sharing shouldn’t be an issue

I do have a Striker 4 I use on my little pond boat that has the same blue/brown wires. I guess i could connect them on the big boat and see how it works

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.