Notices
Marine Electronics Forum

Help: NMEA 2k + Garmin Network Question

Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Corte Madera, California
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: NMEA 2k + Garmin Network Question

Just set up a small NMEA 2K network with two Garmin devices also networked to each other.

Garmin 8610XSV
Garmin 741XS
Icom M506

When I have the 741 XS turned on by itself or the 741XS and the 8610XSV turned on together, the ICOM receives GPS position. But when I only have the 8610 turned on, it does not receive position. Any thoughts on why? Looking in the 8610 menu (with only the 8610 on), the radio does not show up in on the NMEA2K devise list.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 302
Likes: 0
Received 110 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Probably because the icom setup is set to receive gps location from the 741and not the 8610
Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 418
Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
Default

Is your back bone setup correctly?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:19 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Corte Madera, California
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by anthem-00 View Post
Probably because the icom setup is set to receive gps location from the 741and not the 8610

I didn't see any option in the ICOM menu to select a source.

Originally Posted by Jdow View Post
Is your back bone setup correctly?

I believe so. It's as follows.

Female End - 8610XSV - POWER - 741XS - ICOM - Male End

Old 07-07-2019, 12:54 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,754
Received 1,369 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Default

perhaps:

Name:  icom-1.png
Views: 219
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  Icom-2.png
Views: 219
Size:  107.5 KB
Likes:
Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Littleblue - I am upgrading my 741xs to the 8610xsv. Does the network allow you to work radar on both units? Can you work sonar on both units from the same transducer? I am interested in keeping both units on my boat. Thanks for any help you can provide.


Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
Just set up a small NMEA 2K network with two Garmin devices also networked to each other.

Garmin 8610XSV
Garmin 741XS
Icom M506

When I have the 741 XS turned on by itself or the 741XS and the 8610XSV turned on together, the ICOM receives GPS position. But when I only have the 8610 turned on, it does not receive position. Any thoughts on why? Looking in the 8610 menu (with only the 8610 on), the radio does not show up in on the NMEA2K devise list.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:52 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,617
Likes: 0
Received 269 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by littleblue View Post
Looking in the 8610 menu (with only the 8610 on), the radio does not show up in on the NMEA2K devise list.
then your network has an issue. Does it see the other Garmin? Does the other Garmin are all 3?

Where is the n2k powered from? Same switch as the small Garmin?


edit: Thanks for bringing back this old thread for a compleated unreladed question to original question and wasting my time. Next time pm the op.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:59 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

My bad. Sorry about that.


Originally Posted by smac999 View Post


then your network has an issue. Does it see the other Garmin? Does the other Garmin are all 3?

Where is the n2k powered from? Same switch as the small Garmin?


edit: Thanks for bringing back this old thread for a compleated unreladed question to original question and wasting my time. Next time pm the op.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.