Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Marine Electronics Forum
Reload this Page >

Nobody's started a thread on this yet?!! CMAP Reveal

Notices
Like Tree8Likes

Nobody's started a thread on this yet?!! CMAP Reveal

Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,781
Default Nobody's started a thread on this yet?!! CMAP Reveal

Y'all are slacking.

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/simr.../c-map-reveal/
jheiii and MVFisherman like this.
coores14 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 582
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
I was leaning towards Garmin again but I think this makes me buy a simrad unit....
Schmaltz~Herring likes this.
JSJ05 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 1,495
Default

$299.... shit is it even worth renewing this Navionics Platinum+ card
ukadrianj likes this.
jheiii is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,699
Default

Has anyone used this or is it brand new? I think I am going to order one and see how it looks.
cp5899 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,706
Default

Does not look like it has any more coverage than the CMOR, at least around Louisiana.
Akgoff4 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 154
Default

Originally Posted by Akgoff4 View Post
Does not look like it has any more coverage than the CMOR, at least around Louisiana.
At half the price though if it gives the same coverage seems like a better deal.

I'll be waiting for them to work up the coast to me.
DangerZone201 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,781
Default

Originally Posted by cp5899 View Post
Has anyone used this or is it brand new? I think I am going to order one and see how it looks.
it has 5-star reviews on their site, but they're all from professional Captains (i.e. -- sponsored)

Originally Posted by Akgoff4 View Post
Does not look like it has any more coverage than the CMOR, at least around Louisiana.
unless there's a company out there dragging their own equipment and mapping the bottom, the best these companies can do is use the existing data that is technically available to anyone. So you won't see any real differences in coverage for most of this stuff. I believe StrikeLines does do their own surveying, though.
coores14 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by Akgoff4 View Post
Does not look like it has any more coverage than the CMOR, at least around Louisiana.
I got the opportunity to try the reveal map out and did a comparison on another thread. Resolution is similar- but CMOR is still the defined winner. Coverage is similar - but CMOR wins here too. Overall its really nice to see other cards coming out for the guys that cant afford the expensive stuff. If only garmin had their act together... really wish I could have CMOR on it.
YellowfinDanielSon is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hingham, MA
Posts: 597
Default

i dont think its the rest of us cant afford it...its more of we dont want to pay more for the same.

wheres the thread that shows how to get the NOAA stuff onto the plotter? seems as though it got deleted....
njk4o5 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

Originally Posted by YellowfinDanielSon View Post
I got the opportunity to try the reveal map out and did a comparison on another thread. Resolution is similar- but CMOR is still the defined winner. Coverage is similar - but CMOR wins here too. Overall its really nice to see other cards coming out for the guys that cant afford the expensive stuff. If only garmin had their act together... really wish I could have CMOR on it.
Garmin is also working on the same stuff. It'll be available soon.
JoseG is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,781
Default

Originally Posted by JoseG View Post
Garmin is also working on the same stuff. It'll be available soon.
more than what they just released?
coores14 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:36 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 558
Default

Just talked to them. The high definition images are only in the dark blue shaded areas. Just an fyi
tenacious1 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:04 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post
Just talked to them. The high definition images are only in the dark blue shaded areas. Just an fyi
Yes, like CMOR and the other companies out there.
JoseG is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post


more than what they just released?
Not sure what Gamin released
JoseG is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
it has 5-star reviews on their site, but they're all from professional Captains (i.e. -- sponsored)



unless there's a company out there dragging their own equipment and mapping the bottom, the best these companies can do is use the existing data that is technically available to anyone. So you won't see any real differences in coverage for most of this stuff. I believe StrikeLines does do their own surveying, though.
Unknown to most, some of this data was collected from a plane, not a vessel.... Technology is called Laser Aerial Depth Sounding. At least the data specific to Dade, Broward, WPB from 0' to 130-150ish..... I've had these data for over 10 yrs using it on Google Earth. The data was made available by a company called Florida Nearshore and sold at Dive Shops, nobody paid attention to it back then.... I did.

Here is a little info:



JoseG is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:59 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 558
Default

Originally Posted by JoseG View Post
Yes, like CMOR and the other companies out there.
sort of.
I had cmor but unfortunately moved up an inlet to a non covered area. (Psl to ft pierce).

I was hoping this chip would cover my area but unfortunately this new chip covers way less than cmor did in my case.

Im not knocking it at all, I was trying to buy it today until I saw that it doesnít cover the areas I primarily fish.

I inquired about a strikelines map card this week too & found the same results.

First one to get coverage in my area can have my money...




tenacious1 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,706
Default

I’ve seen this coming for a while. Why else would Simrad be giving out free C-map cards in addition to the $500 rebates?

Does anyone know whether the current N+ cards will be upgradeable?
Akgoff4 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 3,111
Default

Originally Posted by tenacious1 View Post


sort of.
I had cmor but unfortunately moved up an inlet to a non covered area. (Psl to ft pierce).

I was hoping this chip would cover my area but unfortunately this new chip covers way less than cmor did in my case.

Im not knocking it at all, I was trying to buy it today until I saw that it doesnít cover the areas I primarily fish.

I inquired about a strikelines map card this week too & found the same results.

First one to get coverage in my area can have my money...




this is the first release, Iím sure they will add more from the available data
JoseG is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 04:14 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 5,069
Default

Originally Posted by Akgoff4 View Post
Iíve seen this coming for a while. Why else would Simrad be giving out free C-map cards in addition to the $500 rebates?

Does anyone know whether the current N+ cards will be upgradeable?
I donít know about upgradeable, but our rep told us the new Reveal cards are a combo depth/navigation chart. Provides the same chart and contour detail as the N+ card, but also provides the high-resolution bathemetry images. If they can match the coverage and detail of CMOR, itís a great price ($299). There are 3 cards to cover the entire Gulf of Mexico. Depending on your location and where you fish, more than one card may be required. I think theyíre available to be purchased today (4/26).
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 662
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post


I donít know about upgradeable, but our rep told us the new Reveal cards are a combo depth/navigation chart. Provides the same chart and contour detail as the N+ card, but also provides the high-resolution bathemetry images. If they can match the coverage and detail of CMOR, itís a great price ($299). There are 3 cards to cover the entire Gulf of Mexico. Depending on your location and where you fish, more than one card may be required. I think theyíre available to be purchased today (4/26).
Did they make any mention as to whether the high res bathymetry would be a downloadable and free update as the new areas become available within your purchased Reveal area? If all the data is the same as the +N cards just adding the high res bath, it would be great to see a cheaper upgrade option for those who already have the +N cards.

Do C-Map cards need to renewed annually for updates like Navionics?
scrapper01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread