Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > Gulf Coast
Reload this Page >

Orange Beach Fishing/Beach Trip...couple of questions

Notices
Like Tree8Likes

Orange Beach Fishing/Beach Trip...couple of questions

Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 300
Default Orange Beach Fishing/Beach Trip...couple of questions

Bought my 24' bay boat late summer/early fall, and I'm about to haul it to the Gulf for the first time in two weeks. Taking the entire family, as it's spring break for our kids. I've had it in saltwater before, but in Georgia's intercostals. So, completely different conditions. I planned a fall trip to christen the boat in Orange Beach, but my dad passed away, so I had to cancel the trip. Anyway, we have a week booked at Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. Pools for the kids, indoor pools if it's too cool, right at the pass to get to open water and cruise the beaches, and docks at the resort included with water and power for charging the trolling motor batteries. Also, the marina is right next door. I hope it's nice. It looks like the perfect setup for a family fishing trip. I also have a local captain booked for a few days to go out on my boat with me alone to teach me some things I want to learn, in addition to putting me on some fish. The other days I'll try to replicate with the wife and kids....hopefully adding up to a fun week.

So, onto my questions:

1) I know there are ramps in the area. For those familiar, if you were staying at Caribe, what ramp would you use to put the boat in for a quick run to the resort? There is trailer parking included at the resort, too. So, that is covered. I just need a good, deep launch point that isn't too far from the resort.

2) I'll need to clean the boat after a week in the water. After pulling it out of the water, where should I clean it before hauling home? I'd love to find a marina that had a lift and could clean the boat for me, so I didn't sacrifice family/vacation time, but I'm not sure there is anything like that in Orange Beach. If so, I'd be interested in pricing it out.

3) While we are there, I'd like to take the boat on a few evening cruises to dinner with the family. Any suggestions? I see that Louisiana Lagniappe and Gulf Shores Steamer are on the water. Are those both still really good, or are there better places where we can dock the boat and walk into dinner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. I'm new to this, but I've been working toward being able to do this with the family for years. Can't wait to make this trip.
Mayberry32 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:43 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 857
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
Bought my 24' bay boat late summer/early fall, and I'm about to haul it to the Gulf for the first time in two weeks. Taking the entire family, as it's spring break for our kids. I've had it in saltwater before, but in Georgia's intercostals. So, completely different conditions. I planned a fall trip to christen the boat in Orange Beach, but my dad passed away, so I had to cancel the trip. Anyway, we have a week booked at Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. Pools for the kids, indoor pools if it's too cool, right at the pass to get to open water and cruise the beaches, and docks at the resort included with water and power for charging the trolling motor batteries. Also, the marina is right next door. I hope it's nice. It looks like the perfect setup for a family fishing trip. I also have a local captain booked for a few days to go out on my boat with me alone to teach me some things I want to learn, in addition to putting me on some fish. The other days I'll try to replicate with the wife and kids....hopefully adding up to a fun week.

So, onto my questions:

1) I know there are ramps in the area. For those familiar, if you were staying at Caribe, what ramp would you use to put the boat in for a quick run to the resort? There is trailer parking included at the resort, too. So, that is covered. I just need a good, deep launch point that isn't too far from the resort.

2) I'll need to clean the boat after a week in the water. After pulling it out of the water, where should I clean it before hauling home? I'd love to find a marina that had a lift and could clean the boat for me, so I didn't sacrifice family/vacation time, but I'm not sure there is anything like that in Orange Beach. If so, I'd be interested in pricing it out.

3) While we are there, I'd like to take the boat on a few evening cruises to dinner with the family. Any suggestions? I see that Louisiana Lagniappe and Gulf Shores Steamer are on the water. Are those both still really good, or are there better places where we can dock the boat and walk into dinner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. I'm new to this, but I've been working toward being able to do this with the family for years. Can't wait to make this trip.
1) I am sure you have already rented your slip from Caribe Marina. If not call today.
2) Launching will suck. Cotton Bayou will be the obvious choice but unfortunately it will also be the only one open in OB as Boggy Point is closed for repairs until later this summer...…..next closest is in Josephine on the north side of the bay or Big Lagoon over in Florida.
3) for restaurants Tacky Jacks while not fine dining I think it is decent, fun and kid friendly......another in that line would be Lulus but that is a run. There is a restaurant at Sportsman's Marina no opinion if it is any good. There is also one at Orange Beach Marina that is pretty good last time I ate there. It is casual dining downstairs and fine dining upstairs. If you want to do a lunch cruise Pirates Cove is fun for the kids and has great Cheese Burgers. Flora-Bama BEACH CLUB is a fun day run also but may possibly be a little to wild during spring break.
4) clean up??? I got nothing for you
xl883lo is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:45 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,215
Default

Car wash on canal by Pep Boys.
pjsmithiii likes this.
Gary999 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:23 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 300
Default

Thanks for the answers. As for slip rental, when you rent through Caribe Resort, you get a slip for free included at the resort, right beside the marina. So, that's covered.
Mayberry32 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mobile/Orange Beach
Posts: 457
Default

The carwash mentioned above...its used for boats as much as cars.

Google these places and see if they meet your needs. Some are a lot better than others, but i can have fun going to any of them. In no particular order: Tacky Jacks OBA, Fishers (upstairs fine dinning, down casual), Flora-Bama Yacht Club(you can dock or beach your boat), Tiki @ Sportsman, Playa at Sportsman, Salt @ SanRoc Cay, Sunset Grille (Perdido Key), Oyster Bar Marina (Perdido Key), Hub Stacey's at the Point (you have to Beach your boat and walk about 100 yards away...very limited area to beach your boat its kinda funky and tight spot to beach it, if you aren't comfortable beaching your boat skip this one), Pirates Cove, GT's (they have a pier w/a few slips), Flippers @ Bear Point Harbor.

Im not sure if these are worth the trip, but you can always take your boat to The Wharf...(lame), if you're going that far id go to Lulu's or the Tacky Jacks in Gulf Shores on the ICW.
hmossy is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:54 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 300
Default

As for boat cleaning, I just spoke with a manager at Caribe Marina. He said it's not something they do all the time, but it's a service they do offer when asked. He said when I pulled the boat out of the water, they would wash it on the trailer for me for a really low cost, including flushing the motor and cleaning all the seats in the boat. I'd normally clean my own boat, but I tend to get a little OCD and I know I'd be gone for 2-3 hours at least the night before we head home. This will, at least, allow me to spend the last night of vacation with the family instead of fiddling with the boat.
Mayberry32 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:58 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 857
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
As for boat cleaning, I just spoke with a manager at Caribe Marina. He said it's not something they do all the time, but it's a service they do offer when asked. He said when I pulled the boat out of the water, they would wash it on the trailer for me for a really low cost, including flushing the motor and cleaning all the seats in the boat. I'd normally clean my own boat, but I tend to get a little OCD and I know I'd be gone for 2-3 hours at least the night before we head home. This will, at least, allow me to spend the last night of vacation with the family instead of fiddling with the boat.
Sounds like a winner. And then you can hit it again when you get home and get the road grunge off.
xl883lo is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:09 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 300
Default

That's fine. I'm sure I'll clean it deeper than they would anyway. But, to not have to worry about getting all the salt off before I leave frees up a ton of time for me. Well worth the few dollars he said they'd charge me for cleaning it.
Mayberry32 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
Bought my 24' bay boat late summer/early fall, and I'm about to haul it to the Gulf for the first time in two weeks. Taking the entire family, as it's spring break for our kids. I've had it in saltwater before, but in Georgia's intercostals. So, completely different conditions. I planned a fall trip to christen the boat in Orange Beach, but my dad passed away, so I had to cancel the trip. Anyway, we have a week booked at Caribe Resort in Orange Beach. Pools for the kids, indoor pools if it's too cool, right at the pass to get to open water and cruise the beaches, and docks at the resort included with water and power for charging the trolling motor batteries. Also, the marina is right next door. I hope it's nice. It looks like the perfect setup for a family fishing trip. I also have a local captain booked for a few days to go out on my boat with me alone to teach me some things I want to learn, in addition to putting me on some fish. The other days I'll try to replicate with the wife and kids....hopefully adding up to a fun week.

So, onto my questions:

1) I know there are ramps in the area. For those familiar, if you were staying at Caribe, what ramp would you use to put the boat in for a quick run to the resort? There is trailer parking included at the resort, too. So, that is covered. I just need a good, deep launch point that isn't too far from the resort.

2) I'll need to clean the boat after a week in the water. After pulling it out of the water, where should I clean it before hauling home? I'd love to find a marina that had a lift and could clean the boat for me, so I didn't sacrifice family/vacation time, but I'm not sure there is anything like that in Orange Beach. If so, I'd be interested in pricing it out.

3) While we are there, I'd like to take the boat on a few evening cruises to dinner with the family. Any suggestions? I see that Louisiana Lagniappe and Gulf Shores Steamer are on the water. Are those both still really good, or are there better places where we can dock the boat and walk into dinner?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. I'm new to this, but I've been working toward being able to do this with the family for years. Can't wait to make this trip.
1. Cotton Bayou. It isnt far from you at all and easy to get to caribe from there.
2. Just go to a car wash place. There are some on canal road and some along the beach highway. I'd just hit it with freshwater and do the real clean when you get back home.
3. There are a ton of places to eat. Be careful at night on the boat. There is a ton of dredge equipment just sitting out all over OBA right now. Last Saturday they had a huge thing of it just sitting down by Bear Point, a bunch in front of Caribe, etc. Also, there are no motor zones and rock jett's around Ono to be aware of. . As for on the water to get to by boat, this is my opinion based on being there for 36 years. Stay away from everything at San Roc, food is trash. Tacky Jacks food sucks but the view is good. OBA Marina has fishers upstairs (high end and good) and downstairs (more casual). Both are good. Anchor Bar and Grill in Terry Cove has a limited menu but most people really like it. Parking can be tight. Playa is at Sportsman marina now, I like it, some don't. It has a mexican type southwest flair to it. Tiki hut at sportsmans is okay, more of a beer drinking place. Flippers at Bear Point Marina sucks. Lulu's is a tourist trap so avoid. The wharf has a bunch of different restaurants. Villagio is only one worth going to IMO. Pirates Cove is great for burgers, fries but that is it. Dont expect it to be quick, dogs everywhere and a ton of people by boat. I love that place. Sunset Grille at Holiday harbor a lot of people like, I don't but dont let that dissuade you from going. Flora-Bama Yacht club has really good food. Flora-bama, not so much. Ole River Grill is okay but if you are going, I would do yacht club. Cobalt is right by you and has good food. It is the sister restaurant of Cosmo's which is also good. There are a few other places you can go like wolf bay lodge at Zeke's which I would avoid, GT's on the bay (avoid).

OBA is a great place to visit because there is so much to get to by boat. Feel free to ask any questions, I can point you in the right direction. (or at least what I think is the right direction).
sea hoss and pjsmithiii like this.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
As for boat cleaning, I just spoke with a manager at Caribe Marina. He said it's not something they do all the time, but it's a service they do offer when asked. He said when I pulled the boat out of the water, they would wash it on the trailer for me for a really low cost, including flushing the motor and cleaning all the seats in the boat. I'd normally clean my own boat, but I tend to get a little OCD and I know I'd be gone for 2-3 hours at least the night before we head home. This will, at least, allow me to spend the last night of vacation with the family instead of fiddling with the boat.
I'd clean it when you get home. You are about to pull it back on the highway with bugs, road trash and god knows what else hitting it. Give it a quick bath and then flush and really clean when you get home.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:17 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 659
Default

Keep in mind it is a no wake zone pretty much anywhere on the north side of the bridge. Best fried seafood we had when down at new year was Acme oyster house. Car wash on canal is very accessible with a boat and has seperate hoses for flushing the engines. The current rips through the Caribes marina on the outgoing and incoming tides. There are lots of reefs within 10 miles of the pass just make sure you download them in to your bottom machine from fishing status or one of the other website. Those should be holding enough fish to keep the family reeling. Be careful and enjoy your trip.
sea hoss is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 08:01 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 857
Default

Originally Posted by sea hoss View Post
Keep in mind it is a no wake zone pretty much anywhere on the north side of the bridge. Best fried seafood we had when down at new year was Acme oyster house. Car wash on canal is very accessible with a boat and has seperate hoses for flushing the engines. The current rips through the Caribes marina on the outgoing and incoming tides. There are lots of reefs within 10 miles of the pass just make sure you download them in to your bottom machine from fishing status or one of the other website. Those should be holding enough fish to keep the family reeling. Be careful and enjoy your trip.
And there is a "No Motor" zone North of the channel between Caribe and Robinson/Bird Islands (little bitty signs on skinny poles). There are protected Sea-grass beds there and also if you go to the islands stay on the beach as the vegetated interiors are bird sanctuaries. Mess with either one and Fish & Game will get you.

xl883lo is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Default

If heading to Big Lagoon and the sand dunes we stop, eat and have drinks at the Oyster Bar and Restaurant at the bridge. Also Sunset point is ok for casual food and you can fuel up there as well. As for launching Cotton bayou is shortest by auto but the one at the end of Marina drive is just across from Robinson Is and Caribe. If that is Boggy Point sounds like it may be close as per earlier poster.
MSchwartz is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by MSchwartz View Post
If heading to Big Lagoon and the sand dunes we stop, eat and have drinks at the Oyster Bar and Restaurant at the bridge. Also Sunset point is ok for casual food and you can fuel up there as well. As for launching Cotton bayou is shortest by auto but the one at the end of Marina drive is just across from Robinson Is and Caribe. If that is Boggy Point sounds like it may be close as per earlier poster.
That is boggy point. It is currently closed cause the pilings were rotting under the water line.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Default

Originally Posted by KimmerIII View Post
That is boggy point. It is currently closed cause the pilings were rotting under the water line.
Thanks for that heads up, will be heading over in a week or so and was going to launch at Boggy Point.
MSchwartz is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by MSchwartz View Post
Thanks for that heads up, will be heading over in a week or so and was going to launch at Boggy Point.
No problem. Cotton Bayou is the closest to that to use.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 300
Default

Originally Posted by KimmerIII View Post
Stay away from everything at San Roc, food is trash.
So, you don't like either Louisiana Lagniappe or Gulf Shores Steamer? We have eaten at Louisiana Lagniappe in Destin and have always been happy, even though it's a chain. As for Gulf Shores Steamer, I haven't eaten there since it was actually in Gulf Shores 7-8 years ago. But, it was excellent then. Was hoping it would still be the same. I still remember the royal reds we had there and how they were probably the best shrimp I've ever eaten.
Mayberry32 is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:11 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 367
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
So, you don't like either Louisiana Lagniappe or Gulf Shores Steamer? We have eaten at Louisiana Lagniappe in Destin and have always been happy, even though it's a chain. As for Gulf Shores Steamer, I haven't eaten there since it was actually in Gulf Shores 7-8 years ago. But, it was excellent then. Was hoping it would still be the same. I still remember the royal reds we had there and how they were probably the best shrimp I've ever eaten.
No, I think you can get better food other places but also I go certain places for certain things. Compared to what else is available, I think both those places are pretty low on the totem pole but that is just me. I prefer Fin & Fork, Yacht Club, Cosmo's, Big Fish, Voyagers, Fisher's (up and down), Fisherman's Corner, Cobalt, Master Joe's, and Doc's if I am eating out.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 17
Default

not one of your questions but check if the blue angles works in your schedule you can run down the intercostal and watch from the bay. its a fantastic time.

Blue Angels Release 2018 Pensacola Practice Schedule ? AirshowStuff
steveintn is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 01:27 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 212
Default

Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
So, you don't like either Louisiana Lagniappe or Gulf Shores Steamer? We have eaten at Louisiana Lagniappe in Destin and have always been happy, even though it's a chain. As for Gulf Shores Steamer, I haven't eaten there since it was actually in Gulf Shores 7-8 years ago. But, it was excellent then. Was hoping it would still be the same. I still remember the royal reds we had there and how they were probably the best shrimp I've ever eaten.
Gulf Shores Steamer is without a doubt the worst dining experience I have had in Orange Beach.
tnhntr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread