Notices
Like Tree63Likes

Venice reports

Old 02-15-2019, 02:39 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 132
Default Venice reports

Any Venice reports? I work on the Ms River and see the Mexican Gulf and other awesome boats come in every afternoon. Are they catching anything?
hornmtn is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 474
Default

King Mack's
cwhite6 likes this.
arczr2 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 78
Default

Wahoo bite has been good when it's not 5 foot seas
Frigate Sales likes this.
gov700 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:02 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 685
Default

There was a very serious boating accident in Baptiste Collette on Saturday. No fatalities but from what I heard one guy was pretty bad.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/t...a-0ef805c3b74b
drue is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dauphin Island,Al.
Posts: 2,046
Default

Hope everyone is ok...
dryhydro is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 771
Default

See Tow FB post said fog was a factor. Donít want to speculate but guessing no radar.
I think AIS is also something that doesnít get much mention. To me it is invaluable running the Mississippi and itís passes. Having your AIS vhf networked to your MFDís clearly depicts the exact location of targets and their heading. It may not help much with rec boats and charters, but all of the commercial boats have it.
Again no life jackets. Not sure if this collision wouldíve resulted in fatalities had it occurred in the river vs pass. With the continued drownings and collisions Iíve been looking to upgrade my A/M inflatable. It looks like Mustang make one that provides 32 lbs of buoyancy. Low end is 26lb, 28lbs mid. Anyway, know of anything better?
Does anyone provide/enforce their passengers to wear a life jackets when running normal conditions. I recommended to my regulars to buy an inflatable and wear when running. I set the example but donít enforce a standard ( referring to adults or as some would say grown ass men).

Prayers for those involved. Hopefully, through discussion and awareness we can all find a way to be safer.
davidwademarine likes this.
BAB75 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:24 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: League City
Posts: 174
Default

Originally Posted by BAB75 View Post
Does anyone provide/enforce their passengers to wear a life jackets when running normal conditions.
Our protocol changing incident occurred @ night in the Galveston Ship Channel.
Routine post-sunset return from calm-side jetty fishing.
One overboard, middle of the channel, solid 4' rollers (un-predicted...but we know it happens) and a 100T commercial freighter barreling down us, horn blazing (oblivious to the MOB situ), as we tried to drag his ass back in, with less than 1 minute to clear stand-on vessel's path.
It was way too close for comfort and could have gone south in a hurry- luckily 3 other experienced salt-rats on board and the MOB (seasoned as well), remained conscious and level-headed.
Now - daytime, less than 3'- optional for adults...pre-dawn/post-dusk, regardless of conditions- you're wearing a vest, or you ain't going!
ShawnQ and Conerly like this.
LandLocked42Long is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 54
Default

I left out Saturday morning from Venice at about 630 and the fog was fairly thick, was surprised by a bay boat sitting in the middle of the channel in front of Cypress Cove that didn't have radar... He tried to follow me as I guess he figured that was safer than running blind. He disappeared some in the middle of the river while we were heading to Bapiste Collete . We made it the lump and trolled and then chunked for about 3 hours with nothing but AJ, big sharks, and kings to show for it. Left and went to troll Ram Powell and a close by drill ship and nobody was home. We headed back at about 4 and the bay for the last 10 miles had the thickest fog I've ever seen down there. Pucker factor was way up in pitch black with nasty fog. I saw 2 work boats in Baptiste Collete on the bank and thought that to be very weird but makes a lot more sense now. Glad to hear everybody made it out alive from the collision.
prokat22 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:57 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 5,095
Default

Originally Posted by BAB75 View Post
See Tow FB post said fog was a factor. Donít want to speculate but guessing no radar.
I think AIS is also something that doesnít get much mention. To me it is invaluable running the Mississippi and itís passes. Having your AIS vhf networked to your MFDís clearly depicts the exact location of targets and their heading. It may not help much with rec boats and charters, but all of the commercial boats have it.
Again no life jackets. Not sure if this collision wouldíve resulted in fatalities had it occurred in the river vs pass. With the continued drownings and collisions Iíve been looking to upgrade my A/M inflatable. It looks like Mustang make one that provides 32 lbs of buoyancy. Low end is 26lb, 28lbs mid. Anyway, know of anything better?
Does anyone provide/enforce their passengers to wear a life jackets when running normal conditions. I recommended to my regulars to buy an inflatable and wear when running. I set the example but donít enforce a standard ( referring to adults or as some would say grown ass men).

Prayers for those involved. Hopefully, through discussion and awareness we can all find a way to be safer.
Talked with a customer who went out of Cypress yesterday. Running FLIR along with Simrad Halo radar and they said having the AIS tracker was maybe the best tool to have. Many people overlook something so simple that can be added with just a VHF radio replacement (depending on installed equipment). We add an AIS capable VHF to every electronics quote.

Hope all involved in the accident make it out ok. Saw some pictures of the aftermath. Didnít look good. They had radar, but that doesnít mean it was functioning or even operating.
BAB75 likes this.
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

I ran Sputh Pass back to Venice right at dark Saturday. Thickest fog Iíve ever seen. We passed 10-12 ships on the trip. To say radar and AIS were helpful is an understatement. AIS is a cheap feature to get and worth every penny. For any who have not seen what it does.....
all commercial vessel locations and direction of travel are overlayed in your GPS screen and your radar screen. It will also show boats that are anchored. Knowing the direction of travel for a 100T ship is very helpful.
2kZ71, BAB75 and RegulatorHHI like this.
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 05:17 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Biloxi, Mississippi
Posts: 653
Default

Originally Posted by Twin Vee 26 View Post
I ran Sputh Pass back to Venice right at dark Saturday. Thickest fog Iíve ever seen. We passed 10-12 ships on the trip. To say radar and AIS were helpful is an understatement. AIS is a cheap feature to get and worth every penny. For any who have not seen what it does.....
all commercial vessel locations and direction of travel are overlayed in your GPS screen and your radar screen. It will also show boats that are anchored. Knowing the direction of travel for a 100T ship is very helpful.

How was South Pass?
JohnM37 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:50 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 771
Default

Furuno makes a wireless radar that Bluetooths to tablet/Device. Only needs a power. Looks like it retails for $995. Probably easy to install or at least cost less to install.

To get on track TwinVee howíd yíall do fishing?
BAB75 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:10 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

South Pass was fine. Just stay on the east side of the channel all the way. I ran the east edge of the marked channel on my machine and had zero issues. The west side had pushed out and is shallow in numerous places
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:17 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

It is very nerve racking when one of those ships is a 100 yards from you and you cant see it at all. Then it blows that dang huge horn and you almost mess in your britches.... Gotta trust your equipment. Anytime you are running the River from pilot town to Venice stay on the East bank of the river and you will never be in the shipping channel. If you run the west side you will be in it A LOT. Run the East side all the way up and then cross once you get to the Jump if its clear. This is advice from a 2 Ship Pilots out of Pilottown. Be safe out there
2kZ71, Modge and RedMan02 like this.
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 335
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post


Talked with a customer who went out of Cypress yesterday. Running FLIR along with Simrad Halo radar and they said having the AIS tracker was maybe the best tool to have. Many people overlook something so simple that can be added with just a VHF radio replacement (depending on installed equipment). We add an AIS capable VHF to every electronics quote.

Hope all involved in the accident make it out ok. Saw some pictures of the aftermath. Didn’t look good. They had radar, but that doesn’t mean it was functioning or even operating.
Displaying AIS targets on your chart and radar screens is a huge plus as many have pointed out, especially in fog or at night. But like anything else it isn't infallible, I have encountered numerous commercial vessels, including ships, which were not broadcasting their position. Obviously, it's the ones you don't see that are most likely to kill you...Even with AIS, radar, and multiple sets of eyes and ears the fog still freaks me out.
KHappel likes this.

Last edited by nola 521dvx; 02-18-2019 at 01:28 PM.
nola 521dvx is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 05:19 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dauphin Island,Al.
Posts: 2,046
Default

I might get caught in it...
But NO fish is worth leaving in it, even with great equipment!!!
Be particular!!!
gov700, YF32Bay and HotQuit like this.
dryhydro is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 06:20 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 771
Default

Originally Posted by dryhydro View Post
I might get caught in it...
But NO fish is worth leaving in it, even with great equipment!!!
Be particular!!!
You nailed it! My equipment is for condition changes while Iím out. I have zero problem with crawling back in bed or drinking beer at the camp
2kZ71, dryhydro and HotQuit like this.
BAB75 is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

I will leave and run in it but I generally opt to take red pass to limit exposure.

FIsh report
1 65lb Wahoo (midnight lump)
2 70lb AJ (season closed)
1 big shark
all trolling

6 Mangrove snapper
5000000000000 endangered Red Snapper
6 big white trout
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 01:08 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Luling, Louisiana
Posts: 844
Default

Originally Posted by Twin Vee 26 View Post
I will leave and run in it but I generally opt to take red pass to limit exposure.

FIsh report
1 65lb Wahoo (midnight lump)
2 70lb AJ (season closed)
1 big shark
all trolling

6 Mangrove snapper
5000000000000 endangered Red Snapper
6 big white trout
Those snapper are like gnats, eh?
SuperDave4x4 is offline  
Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Dauphin Island, AL
Posts: 34
Default

I am with Dry Hydro all the way on this!
HotQuit likes this.
YF32Bay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread