Notices
Like Tree17Likes

Opinion on satellite phones

Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 AM
  #21  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,947
Default

it's awesome too

it bluetooths to your cell phone

you type texts on your phone and it is bluetooth to the inreach which then sends it out via sat
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 4,747
Default

InReach and Rob says you just bluetooth to it and send a text to anyone in your phone contact list. You can have it *track* which it sends a GPS coordinate every few minutes, but, the more data you send back and forth the more of a plan you need. THe plan I have is only $15.95. A month. You can disable it if you want anytime and turn it back on as well.

There is also an SOS button on the device. But if fit hits the shan, I'd rather have an EPIRB activated.

You can use the InReach on land hiking, or anywhere so that's one of the big advantages of it. When it is on the battery lasts a long time too. It is a great peace of mind to know you can communicate back to land 100 miles offshore at any time. Heck one time I texted my cousion while offshore to stop by my house and pickup something I had forgotten since he was on the way to the fish camp.
keithelder is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM
  #23  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,947
Default

USCG Safe Boating D8 if you want to check out an InReach in person let's get together sometime after Friday, I got some feeesh for you too
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
USCG Safe Boating D8 if you want to check out an InReach in person let's get together sometime after Friday, I got some feeesh for you too
We really do need to meet up Rob. From a SAR standpoint, if you don't report back home on time, then the person you report to would need to have account info to access your account. Unless Garmin has an agreement with the CG to provide them the details that is. I am going to meet with some folks at Sector NOLA tomorrow. I'll ask them what inReach is like on their end.
USCG Safe Boating D8 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:12 PM
  #25  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,947
Default

Originally Posted by USCG Safe Boating D8 View Post
We really do need to meet up Rob. From a SAR standpoint, if you don't report back home on time, then the person you report to would need to have account info to access your account. Unless Garmin has an agreement with the CG to provide them the details that is. I am going to meet with some folks at Sector NOLA tomorrow. I'll ask them what inReach is like on their end.
You can give your login to someone listed as a contact on your epirb registration

matter of fact they could add that to the epirb reg (for those who want to)

My wife said sometimes when i send her a text she can click on the map and see where I'm at

Idk bc im always sending out not receiving from it
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 PM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Louisiana
Posts: 723
Default

[QUOTE
Idk bc im always sending out not receiving from it[/QUOTE]

Can you receive texts with the inreach or is it one way outbound communication only?
BAB75 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 PM
  #27  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,947
Default

Originally Posted by BAB75 View Post
[QUOTE
Idk bc im always sending out not receiving from it


Can you receive texts with the inreach or is it one way outbound communication only?
[/QUOTE]

It receives text also
BAB75 likes this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Gretna, LA, USA
Posts: 6,174
Default

C'mon, Rob. You always find ways for me to avoid keeping my money. Since you know cell service can be spotty even inshore, any my radio signal is currently questionable, you have peaked my interest in a Garmin Inreach.

I would likely get the basic plan because I would not use it unless really needed...I think. The basic plan allows 10 texts a month and only fifty cents per overage text. My concern is what happens on days when your phone blows up with texts? Are incoming texts charged against your plan? Should I start billing friends and family who try to text me when they know I am on the boat? Should I bill them anyway even if the Garmin plan does not penalize incoming, unsolicited texts?
trout25red is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:34 AM
  #29  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,947
Default

Originally Posted by trout25red View Post
C'mon, Rob. You always find ways for me to avoid keeping my money. Since you know cell service can be spotty even inshore, any my radio signal is currently questionable, you have peaked my interest in a Garmin Inreach.

I would likely get the basic plan because I would not use it unless really needed...I think. The basic plan allows 10 texts a month and only fifty cents per overage text. My concern is what happens on days when your phone blows up with texts? Are incoming texts charged against your plan? Should I start billing friends and family who try to text me when they know I am on the boat? Should I bill them anyway even if the Garmin plan does not penalize incoming, unsolicited texts?
It gived you a separate phone number

Just don't give it out too much

It is def worth having

Ill let you check mine out if you'd like
trout25red likes this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 73
Default

I had a good visit with the Sector Command Center this morning. They had an inReach case back in December. The Command Center got a call from a woman who was charged with tracking their friends on a boat and telling the CG if she lost track. Using the track and the float plan, the CG launched an aircraft and located the boat. All was well, but the device had tripped offline. They reset it and it started broadcasting again. Apparently the devices have a unique identifier number that the CG can use to get tracking data. That ID will also display if the SOS function is activated.

Since time may be of the essence in some SOS cases, I want to make sure Garmin knows the best numbers to call. I'll do a little homework with that today.
keithelder likes this.
USCG Safe Boating D8 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread