Notices
Like Tree20Likes

Cooking Sheepshead

Reply

Old 12-05-2018, 06:14 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Down the bayou, south Louisiana
Posts: 162
Default

Hey Rob, is this it?
Harry Lee’s favorite fish is sheepshead and his favorite way to fix sheepshead is a Chinese recipe. Both gut and split the fish down the backbone into two halves or remove the filets as you would to grill a redfish. Either way, leave the scales and skin on one side. First parboil it and then coat the meat with a mixture of hot bacon grease, soy sauce and ginger. If you prefer your fish grilled, grill with skin and scales down, then season with the mixture.
savedbygrace6868 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:41 PM
  #22  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,788
Default

Originally Posted by savedbygrace6868 View Post
Hey Rob, is this it?
Harry Lee’s favorite fish is sheepshead and his favorite way to fix sheepshead is a Chinese recipe. Both gut and split the fish down the backbone into two halves or remove the filets as you would to grill a redfish. Either way, leave the scales and skin on one side. First parboil it and then coat the meat with a mixture of hot bacon grease, soy sauce and ginger. If you prefer your fish grilled, grill with skin and scales down, then season with the mixture.
that must be it

it was most def in the times picayune back in the day

I thought it called for green onions, but then again I like green onions so my mind may have added that

nice find

thanks!
savedbygrace6868 likes this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:25 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Biloxi,Ms
Posts: 345
Default

If you really want to get into sheepshead wait until March when they spawn. Only take what you need as they are getting hammered worse every year.
savedbygrace6868 likes this.
LivetoFish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:54 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida
Posts: 139
Default

Try this. Absolutely outstanding cold weather dish.

Sherpa stew! - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum
savedbygrace6868 likes this.
CuzzA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:08 AM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 397
Default

Set oven to 350F

Coat both sides of the fillet in olive oil and place in a glass baking dish

Shake Salt, Pepper, and a little garlic powder over the fillet and put in the oven

In the mean time, take a small bag or amount of kettle cooked (*must be kettle cooked) jalapeno potato chips and smash them into a consistent flake, don't powder them.

When the fillet is about halfway done, pull out of the oven and sprinkle the potato chips over the fillet and return to the oven until it's finished.


Hasn't failed me yet!
Finsinchessy likes this.
Dime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:17 AM
  #26  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: League City
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by Crooked Hook View Post
Grill them. If you are filleting, put Italian dressing and marinade. Grill and eat.
^^^ This has always been my go-to and the wife and kiddos devour it.
Haven't tried the Hoss filet knife, but I know you'll kill a Bubba Blade (ie need to resharpen it) after just two Sheepshead.
LandLocked42Long is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kingston, TN, USA and Plash Island, AL
Posts: 4,192
Default

The Hoss is a serrated blade on a reciprocating saw; the easiest (and probably safest) way is to fillet from the tail, zip right through the ribs, and come out. It will also do fine In the conventional (front to back) style, but you have better control coming from the front. I am dead serious about a cut-proof glove on the off hand, and when you watch it zip through the sheepie ribs, you will understand.
weatherman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM
  #28  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 8,788
Default

Originally Posted by LandLocked42Long View Post
^^^ This has always been my go-to and the wife and kiddos devour it.
Haven't tried the Hoss filet knife, but I know you'll kill a Bubba Blade (ie need to resharpen it) after just two Sheepshead.
bubba blades suck
airbrush and savedbygrace6868 like this.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,601
Default

Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
The Hoss is a serrated blade on a reciprocating saw; the easiest (and probably safest) way is to fillet from the tail, zip right through the ribs, and come out. It will also do fine In the conventional (front to back) style, but you have better control coming from the front. I am dead serious about a cut-proof glove on the off hand, and when you watch it zip through the sheepie ribs, you will understand.
Anyone ever try these?
https://filletzall.com/
fjmaverick is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 788
Default

If you are fishing in an area that is heavily pressured try getting your trolling motor or an anchor set that puts you in a position to drop a bait down into the eddy created by the current around the piling. Drop down a fiddler crab with a small splitshot about 2 feet up the line and hold on!! You have to be right up against the piling or it won't work. You can usually only fish two baits a time. "60 percent of the time it works everytime" lol
trejsic.mejsic likes this.
ashcreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kingston, TN, USA and Plash Island, AL
Posts: 4,192
Default

Fjmaverick, that looks exactly like the blade on a Hoss. Put it in a reciprocating saw, and hang on. The Rigid saw, which is what Hoss uses, has about the best combination of size and power that I have found. I have used the blade in my cordless saw, but the corded Rigis is much easier to handle, and I have power at the dock.
weatherman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:04 PM
  #32  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 21
Default

I have used the filletzall and have had better luck with the freshwater blade on sheepshead. The saltwater blade is harder to control. They will cut through anything you put in front of them so be careful.

I now mostly use fillet knives and keep them sharp with the trizor chef choice sharpener. It’s expensive but been worth every penny.

cdbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: