Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > Gulf Coast
Reload this Page >

New, all kids rodeo in Grand Isle--for a good cause!

Notices
Like Tree9Likes

New, all kids rodeo in Grand Isle--for a good cause!

Reply

Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,519
Default New, all kids rodeo in Grand Isle--for a good cause!

I'm sure most of you guys are unaware that one of my daughters was involved in a very serious accident a couple of years ago. She was left with multiple life threatening and limb threatening injuries. She spent quite some time on life support, endured many, many surgeries and 18 months of more surgery, therapy and recovering. Her initial outlook was beyond bleak, yet the trauma team at OLOL Children's Hospital poured their heart, soul and resources into saving her. We will be forever thankful to them, and in that spirit we have committed to funding the Trauma Room in the ER of the new OLOL Children's Hospital being constructed now. I'm not quite able to fund the entire thing on my own, so I thought what better way to raise the money than an all kids fishing rodeo!

So we created the Salty Kids Fishfest. It's going to be at the Sand Dollar on Grand Isle, LA Aug 3-4----the week after the tarpon rodeo. I'd love to see some of you guys there to help us support this mission. We have some great sponsors onboard that are sure to make this an event to remember. The food and prizes should be awesome.

Please pencil in the dates and make this a weekend for your kids. Participation at any level is welcomed--come fish and eat, but let me know if you'd like to sponsor.

The website is under construction but the basics are listed there. There will be Three divisions:
Inshore(trout, white trout, redfish under 27, flounder, sheepshead, and catfish)
Offshore(yf,bf, dolphin, red snapper, mangrove snapper, and cobia).
Family Challenge(three fish aggregate--there will be an inshore and offshore family champion)

Register here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/salty-k...070816?aff=es2


The website is here
https://www.saltykidsfishfest.com/

The first 75 kids entered get a free Southern Marsh shirt in addition to their regular rodeo shirt!


Here's a little news clip of my girl:



and here she is last weekend wearing out the red snapper!




Last edited by MakoMyDay; 06-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:47 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 1,073
Default

Sounds like a good time!
hthoang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,051
Default

That sounds like a good tournament!
LATROUT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 166
Default

Sounds great, I may register my 7 year old. If you need some help, I can ask the teens from my Scout group if they would like to volunteer. They are all needing service hours.
snapperkiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 1,546
Default

Can't wait. Gonna be a fun weekend.

Molly is one of my true life heroes.
RUDE Attitude is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:03 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houma, LA
Posts: 149
Default

Pretty sure I'll be in for this one. My kids are little but gonna get em started.
Cajun Squealer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:12 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,519
Default

Originally Posted by Cajun Squealer View Post
Pretty sure I'll be in for this one. My kids are little but gonna get em started.
awesome. I don’t want to over commit on specifics, but I just say they’ll get TONS of goodies for their $35 entry. The sponsors have been generous. And they can catch a gafftop right of the dock at the marina and potentially win a category.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM
  #8  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SE LA
Posts: 4,836
Default

I will definitely try to get my two boys down to fish it.
Gmack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cajun Land
Posts: 1,124
Default

What an awesome idea. Wish I could make it, but we will be out of town on the 4th.
meaux fishing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:40 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,357
Default

Gonna try to make it Ryan! I think Lillian would enjoy this.
redfishray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Destin to Cocodrie
Posts: 199
Default

Good job on the interview I didn't see that. Can't wait for the tourney.
cuzzon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:28 AM
  #12  
tam
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: lafitte, la
Posts: 605
Default

Let us know when we can sign the kids up,
thanks
todd
tam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,519
Default

Originally Posted by tam View Post
Let us know when we can sign the kids up,
thanks
todd

You can sign up online now!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/salty-k...070816?aff=es2
tam likes this.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 77
Default

I'll do my best to make it over there with part of our crew. It may be tough since its at the exact same time as the Blake Terry Rodeo in Fourchon. As a diver, that one is near and dear to our community.
Catspearos is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:16 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 3,484
Default

Let me know if there’s anything we can hang up at the shop or post on our Facebook and Instagram pages to advertise the rodeo. Sitting in the OLOL Children’s Hospital right now while Carter has a 24 hour EEG for random seizures that began a few weeks ago. Everyone at the hospital has been great during our two visits over the last year. Can’t really help out financially since they’ve taken a good portion (great care ain’t cheap) but I will do all I can to get the word out to those who are able to. There’s a special place in Heaven for people who support causes like this.

If there’s any corporate sponsorships available, we can also pass the word along to some local business owners and executives.
davidwademarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:24 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,246
Default

Originally Posted by MakoMyDay View Post
I'm sure most of you guys are unaware that one of my daughters was involved in a very serious accident a couple of years ago. She was left with multiple life threatening and limb threatening injuries. She spent quite some time on life support, endured many, many surgeries and 18 months of more surgery, therapy and recovering. Her initial outlook was beyond bleak, yet the trauma team at OLOL Children's Hospital poured their heart, soul and resources into saving her. We will be forever thankful to them, and in that spirit we have committed to funding the Trauma Room in the ER of the new OLOL Children's Hospital being constructed now. I'm not quite able to fund the entire thing on my own, so I thought what better way to raise the money than an all kids fishing rodeo!

So we created the Salty Kids Fishfest. It's going to be at the Sand Dollar on Grand Isle, LA Aug 3-4----the week after the tarpon rodeo. I'd love to see some of you guys there to help us support this mission. We have some great sponsors onboard that are sure to make this an event to remember. The food and prizes should be awesome.

Please pencil in the dates and make this a weekend for your kids. Participation at any level is welcomed--come fish and eat, but let me know if you'd like to sponsor.

The website is under construction but the basics are listed there. There will be Three divisions:
Inshore(trout, white trout, redfish under 27, flounder, sheepshead, and catfish)
Offshore(yf,bf, dolphin, red snapper, mangrove snapper, and cobia).
Family Challenge(three fish aggregate--there will be an inshore and offshore family champion)

Register here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/salty-k...070816?aff=es2


The website is here
https://www.saltykidsfishfest.com/

The first 75 kids entered get a free Southern Marsh shirt in addition to their regular rodeo shirt!


Here's a little news clip of my girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fSQdprCAQ8&t=4s


and here she is last weekend wearing out the red snapper!



I typically frown on drama but that video caused a bit of eye water for me this morning. In this case thank GOD it was a combo of joy and admiration for a great kid, family and medical professionals doing excellent work.

Thanks for sharing, fantastic story......
Mpellet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 AM
  #17  
KDM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
KDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 5,130
Default

Ryan,
We will plan to attend. Sound like an awesome time for the kids.
KDM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 2,868
Default

We would be interested in a sponsorship to help out.
Striker Tackle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 8,519
Default

Originally Posted by Catspearos View Post
I'll do my best to make it over there with part of our crew. It may be tough since its at the exact same time as the Blake Terry Rodeo in Fourchon. As a diver, that one is near and dear to our community.
would love to have you but I certainly understand!

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
Let me know if there’s anything we can hang up at the shop or post on our Facebook and Instagram pages to advertise the rodeo. Sitting in the OLOL Children’s Hospital right now while Carter has a 24 hour EEG for random seizures that began a few weeks ago. Everyone at the hospital has been great during our two visits over the last year. Can’t really help out financially since they’ve taken a good portion (great care ain’t cheap) but I will do all I can to get the word out to those who are able to. There’s a special place in Heaven for people who support causes like this.

If there’s any corporate sponsorships available, we can also pass the word along to some local business owners and executives.
We will never run out of corporate sponsorship opportunities! Pass the word along please. We can drop a couple flyers by the shop for y’all this week. Coco crazy likes to go there and drool on the new mercs so I can send some with him

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post


I typically frown on drama but that video caused a bit of eye water for me this morning. In this case thank GOD it was a combo of joy and admiration for a great kid, family and medical professionals doing excellent work.

Thanks for sharing, fantastic story......
It would be even tougher to watch if you knew her, but she’s doing pretty awesome. Unbelievable really. Leaving in the morning- she’s playing in the AAU Volleyball National tournament in Orlando. Nobody could’ve predicted a come back of this magnitude. Amazing little girl. Toughest human I’ve ever seen.

Originally Posted by KDM View Post
Ryan,
We will plan to attend. Sound like an awesome time for the kids.
Hope you guys make it Doug. I’ll buy you guys a round at the tiki bar.

Originally Posted by Striker Tackle View Post
We would be interested in a sponsorship to help out.
thanks!! I’ll send you a pm in the next day or so. Much appreciated!
KDM and Coco Crazy like this.
MakoMyDay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:13 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,330
Default

Awesome Ryan, looks like it’ll turn out very well.
Big Iron is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: