Notices
Like Tree18Likes

Destin water is beautiful

Reply

Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 446
Default

Originally Posted by trejsic.mejsic View Post
Destin pass is much like a busy, congested regional airport where a quarter of the pilots are trained and licensed, flying in and among three quarters of aircraft where the pilots are - well, not.

Someday, somebody is gonna get hurt, and somebody else is gonna have their lives changed forever, in a bad way... Cheers, T.
There was at least one fatality there lastyear, happened while we were down there at our place in July I think it was. I was on the water, fishing there around Crab Island that morning in fact. Some drunk "ski pilot" did his best attempt to drive THROUGH the side of a boat there in or close to the no wake area around CI. It was covered here in another post back then. That same morning I was out in the MIDDLE of the bay, headed for the midbay bridge to fish and the only crafts around where a tribe of rental skis coming due south from the northern side of the bay & headed for the Destin bridge/Crab Island area. The first few ski's passed 100yds in front of me port to starboard (only after I had slowed from my typical 35ish cruise). Then a lone ski bringing up the rear about 100yds behind them, piloted by a teenaged looking girl with a total freakazoid looking hippie boy riding "bitch" behind her. She had tunnel vision, they never looked at me as both our crafts were on a destiny to impact at 90degs approx 50yds ahead and closing. I told my son and his bud to hang on and watch out, I could clearly see the two on the ski were oblivious to the 24ft white and red bay boat they were about to run into!

Yep they kept on the same course and I ended up having to wheel it over and throttle back to idle and slide off pad as the morons went by my bow about 30ft. Only as I jerked the wheel port to go behind them did the hippie boy on the back look up, smile and wave like everything was fine and everyone was having a great time on the water. The girl was solidly locked in on the ski's 100yds in front of her and never changed her course or even realized us and our big white boat was anywhere around, nevermind we could've DESTROYED her had I not yielded my course. It wouldn't surprise me to find out if any of those in that group were in that fatal accident later that day.
HatchieLuvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 182
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
There was at least one fatality there lastyear, happened while we were down there at our place in July I think it was. I was on the water, fishing there around Crab Island that morning in fact. Some drunk "ski pilot" did his best attempt to drive THROUGH the side of a boat there in or close to the no wake area around CI. It was covered here in another post back then. That same morning I was out in the MIDDLE of the bay, headed for the midbay bridge to fish and the only crafts around where a tribe of rental skis coming due south from the northern side of the bay & headed for the Destin bridge/Crab Island area. The first few ski's passed 100yds in front of me port to starboard (only after I had slowed from my typical 35ish cruise). Then a lone ski bringing up the rear about 100yds behind them, piloted by a teenaged looking girl with a total freakazoid looking hippie boy riding "bitch" behind her. She had tunnel vision, they never looked at me as both our crafts were on a destiny to impact at 90degs approx 50yds ahead and closing. I told my son and his bud to hang on and watch out, I could clearly see the two on the ski were oblivious to the 24ft white and red bay boat they were about to run into!

Yep they kept on the same course and I ended up having to wheel it over and throttle back to idle and slide off pad as the morons went by my bow about 30ft. Only as I jerked the wheel port to go behind them did the hippie boy on the back look up, smile and wave like everything was fine and everyone was having a great time on the water. The girl was solidly locked in on the ski's 100yds in front of her and never changed her course or even realized us and our big white boat was anywhere around, nevermind we could've DESTROYED her had I not yielded my course. It wouldn't surprise me to find out if any of those in that group were in that fatal accident later that day.
This was a female teenager... I do remember that. She collided with the side of a CC that an older gentleman was operating, I believe he was not on plane either IIRC.

There are several fatalities per year here. I have yet to read about one that was truly an unpreventable event. SMH.
Smitty_81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 369
Default Ain't that bad...

Originally Posted by Smitty_81 View Post


First... laughing at your mobile phone typing there.

but about your comment. That is a very small and concentrated area, there are tons of places to take the boat here where nobody will be near you. Come on down.
Very true.

A lot of venting - certainly by me - I'm just not used to the level of amateurism allowed, that's all. Smitty is entirely correct, you should come on down.

Here is a recap:

1) The water clarity is breathtaking.
2) Know your give way and stand on obligations.
3) Keep your head on a swivel when near Crab Island, and when entering/leaving the harbor and/or East Pass.
4) Assume no one else knows THEIR give way and stand on obligations until they demonstrate they do.
5) Do what you have to to keep your gelcoat intact.

6) Be in awe of how beautiful the water is...hurry on down before we get some rains which are gonna stain the water a little.

Cheers, T.
trejsic.mejsic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CLS. TX
Posts: 5,027
Default

Be there Sat
ono loco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:00 AM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 39
Default

Ill be there Saturday as well. I keep my boat very nearby and its an experience to behold on big holiday weekends. My SAFETY TIP!!!! Always stay away from any pontoon with a phone number on the side!!!!!!!!!!!!
No Quarter
SeahuntTriton 240
mgoody73 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CLS. TX
Posts: 5,027
Default

No boat this time for me.. motorhome and paddle boards only. am going to try and stay super tranquillo this time..
trejsic.mejsic likes this.
ono loco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:54 PM
  #27  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 93
Default


Originally Posted by trejsic.mejsic View Post
Very true.

A lot of venting - certainly by me - I'm just not used to the level of amateurism allowed, that's all. Smitty is entirely correct, you should come on down.

Here is a recap:

1) The water clarity is breathtaking.
2) Know your give way and stand on obligations.
3) Keep your head on a swivel when near Crab Island, and when entering/leaving the harbor and/or East Pass.
4) Assume no one else knows THEIR give way and stand on obligations until they demonstrate they do.
5) Do what you have to to keep your gelcoat intact.

6) Be in awe of how beautiful the water is...hurry on down before we get some rains which are gonna stain the water a little.

Cheers, T.
The Pass this week
bayfisher92 likes this.
Offshorepro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 127
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
There was at least one fatality there lastyear, happened while we were down there at our place in July I think it was. I was on the water, fishing there around Crab Island that morning in fact. Some drunk "ski pilot" did his best attempt to drive THROUGH the side of a boat there in or close to the no wake area around CI. It was covered here in another post back then. That same morning I was out in the MIDDLE of the bay, headed for the midbay bridge to fish and the only crafts around where a tribe of rental skis coming due south from the northern side of the bay & headed for the Destin bridge/Crab Island area. The first few ski's passed 100yds in front of me port to starboard (only after I had slowed from my typical 35ish cruise). Then a lone ski bringing up the rear about 100yds behind them, piloted by a teenaged looking girl with a total freakazoid looking hippie boy riding "bitch" behind her. She had tunnel vision, they never looked at me as both our crafts were on a destiny to impact at 90degs approx 50yds ahead and closing. I told my son and his bud to hang on and watch out, I could clearly see the two on the ski were oblivious to the 24ft white and red bay boat they were about to run into!

Yep they kept on the same course and I ended up having to wheel it over and throttle back to idle and slide off pad as the morons went by my bow about 30ft. Only as I jerked the wheel port to go behind them did the hippie boy on the back look up, smile and wave like everything was fine and everyone was having a great time on the water. The girl was solidly locked in on the ski's 100yds in front of her and never changed her course or even realized us and our big white boat was anywhere around, nevermind we could've DESTROYED her had I not yielded my course. It wouldn't surprise me to find out if any of those in that group were in that fatal accident later that day.
There was that accident, there was also a boat that hit a piling at speed after midnight that resulted in one person losing a limb and then bleeding to death, there was a boat being towed at night that was fortunately empty when another boat hit it at speed, I want to say there was one more fatality in the area too but I can't recall the specifics.

I usually stop at crab island for a dip and a bit of grilling when we get back from fishing, we anchor way to the north of the crowd so we don't get boxed in or drifted into. I think this summer we'll just find a stretch of quiet beach or hang out in a bayou instead. It's fun a couple of times but hey if you go there I guess there's the chance that a rental boat company might end up buying you a new boat!
bluescholar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,331
Default

Its not bad, here are some of my fondest memories, kudos to those who can pick up where these are taken from.

I dont know why my pictures dont work. One more try.



Last edited by bayfisher92; 05-15-2018 at 10:49 AM.
bayfisher92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 PM
  #30  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 2,423
Default

Originally Posted by bayfisher92 View Post
Its not bad, here are some of my fondest memories, kudos to those who can pick up where these are taken from.

I dont know why my pictures dont work. One more try.


destin pass
ECBC
Boshamps
Choctawhatchee Bay

what do I win?!?

haha great pics!
gamefish25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 AM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Halfmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 3,287
Talking

Originally Posted by gamefish25 View Post


destin pass
ECBC
Boshamps
Choctawhatchee Bay

what do I win?!?

haha great pics!


Nothing!

You forgot to mention "Norriego Point in the background"



,
Halfmoon is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: