Notices
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sea hoss
  • 1 Post By DotRotten
  • 2 Post By bluewater100
  • 2 Post By capthoop

First timer outa Venice on 235cc seapro

Reply

Old 10-12-2017, 04:10 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Carrollton Georgia
Posts: 130
Default First timer outa Venice on 235cc seapro

Any dos or dont's for planning a first time spring trip to Venice trailering my new to me sea pro 235cc.
My wife and me just want to fish oil rigs for hoos and tuna even if it's just black fin
How far out depends on conditions
Just wandering what would be a good week to book and if I should hire a guide to run the boat for me the first day if there are such guides.
April or may
I'm putting new 7" garmins with xm weather and an 18" hd radome.
I love to cast net live bait and own very few lures.
Is there a lure I shouldn't leave without for trolling?
I catch all the reds ( snapper and drum) and trout I want outa appalachicola
I'm hoping for some pelagics
My background is inshore and offshore outa Panama City and appalachicola. I used to put a lot of my fellow bass tournament friends on a lot of snapper and grouper before I broke my back and sold my old offshore rig with a divorce.
Thanks to all
Ron Young
Rcyfish is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 620
Default

Look up Capt. Hoop on here and let him take you the first day. He can also answer all your questions. Venice can be a dangerous place for someone with no knowledge of the area, but the fishing is so good it makes it all worth it
Myrtle Grove Bob likes this.
sea hoss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Metairie
Posts: 932
Default

So many options out of Venice and ways to mess up. I’d definitely hire Hoop
kyle_howie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,012
Default

Hire Capt Hoop. You will not regret it.There is way to many unknowns navigating the river.
Striker Tackle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:03 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,124
Default

I fish out Oregon inlet all winter and I think that place is safe compared to running that river. Hire a local capt.
Nolabama likes this.
DotRotten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 85
Default

If you really want the big Hoos February is the peak of the season. They are in close and eat just about anything but a lit cigarette.
capthoop and Nolabama like this.
bluewater100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SE Missouri (with a salt water habit)
Posts: 1,396
Default

Originally Posted by sea hoss View Post
Look up Capt. Hoop on here and let him take you the first day. He can also answer all your questions. Venice can be a dangerous place for someone with no knowledge of the area, but the fishing is so good it makes it all worth it
Concur. Later in may will be better than April in terms wind/offshore fish ability.

Capt Hoop 504-247-8459

Rent a houseboat in Venice Marina for full experience. I'd suggest any of Fred Lewis boats. Miss Princess, Miss Pelican, Miss Yellowing. Search them on VRBO.
mlanzotti is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 36
Default

February or Early March if you must would be the best time. I wouldn't worry with live bait that time of year, because sharks and kings will be thick at the shelf and lumps. Chunk with Red Meat for tuna, and troll Shakey Baits...take your pick, the Rapala, CD30 and others will work. Just be certain to change to hooks to Owner XStrong. I like Pink, and Purple. 2X on Hoop, he is a great guy who will get you there and back safe and he knows where they caught them the day before! Fog most likely will be thick or it will be cold!
TV Big Slick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Bay Ridge)
Posts: 14,535
Default

Originally Posted by sea hoss View Post
Venice can be a dangerous place for someone with no knowledge of the area, but the fishing is so good it makes it all worth it
I agree.

My first experience several years ago, in short.

Left Venice, fishing was great so we stayed too long and therefore came back too late.

Given the area is covered with water and most not the channel, dark, unfamiliar, went too far West, stuck, big time.

Eventually CG had to show, I put the gumby suit on, tied a rope to myself and pulled boat toward them until they were able to shoot a line and tow us out.

Add to all that, the crew boats that ran up and down the river which we were waiting for them to run right over us made for a great time, ha ha.

Good luck
Esuomm1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 294
Default

Originally Posted by bluewater100 View Post
but a lit cigarette.
Challenge accepted
CNBarron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:53 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Empire, La.
Posts: 1,654
Default

We can get together over the phone and set something up. Weather is a big factor in the spring as well as the fog. which is nothing like you have ever seen. 504-247-8459
latmont and Nolabama like this.
capthoop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:59 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by TV Big Slick View Post
February or Early March if you must would be the best time. I wouldn't worry with live bait that time of year, because sharks and kings will be thick at the shelf and lumps. Chunk with Red Meat for tuna, and troll Shakey Baits...take your pick, the Rapala, CD30 and others will work. Just be certain to change to hooks to Owner XStrong. I like Pink, and Purple. 2X on Hoop, he is a great guy who will get you there and back safe and he knows where they caught them the day before! Fog most likely will be thick or it will be cold!
I agree with his fishing strategy. I pull a 22 cc down from MI every April / May for a week and started doing it because of what I learned here. Navigation is tricky but if you know how to read a chart and use your gps/plotter you will be fine in the marked channels. Ten years later we know a lot more of the passes than I ever thought we would but I make sure everything is saved on two separate units, we would be in trouble without the chart plotters. Fishing around the near shore rigs is great if you don’t mind what you catch. We have had a lot of fun filling the boat with BF tuna and have yet to land a big YF. We were not saltwater fishermen prior to going to Venice but we learn a lot each trip. Nothing against any of the guides they all are very nice. We have been too cheep to hire one and we have yet to catch a big YF but man we have a great time. Maybe this will be the year. I just got a new setup that should do the trick. We are headed down next week to try it in the fall. If you go on your own study the chart stay between the markers and make some friends at the marina. It gets shallow and fogggy fast in the spring but the fishing is great. Have fun and be safe.
Reelalure is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:34 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orlando Fl
Posts: 422
Default

Reealure. What day are you in Venice? We may be there on 28 and 29 if weather permit.

Tim

Originally Posted by Reelalure View Post
I agree with his fishing strategy. I pull a 22 cc down from MI every April / May for a week and started doing it because of what I learned here. Navigation is tricky but if you know how to read a chart and use your gps/plotter you will be fine in the marked channels. Ten years later we know a lot more of the passes than I ever thought we would but I make sure everything is saved on two separate units, we would be in trouble without the chart plotters. Fishing around the near shore rigs is great if you don’t mind what you catch. We have had a lot of fun filling the boat with BF tuna and have yet to land a big YF. We were not saltwater fishermen prior to going to Venice but we learn a lot each trip. Nothing against any of the guides they all are very nice. We have been too cheep to hire one and we have yet to catch a big YF but man we have a great time. Maybe this will be the year. I just got a new setup that should do the trick. We are headed down next week to try it in the fall. If you go on your own study the chart stay between the markers and make some friends at the marina. It gets shallow and fogggy fast in the spring but the fishing is great. Have fun and be safe.
timwfm is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: