Notices
Like Tree101Likes

1997 Sea Cat SL3 resto mod.

Reply

Old 12-06-2017, 02:16 PM
  #441  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by jmarshall28 View Post
Read on here that BOE was selling those units for a good price. I thought on the order of 400-600 bux?
Maybe two 840s..lol
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 PM
  #442  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 1,317
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
Maybe two 840s..lol
I don't know actually, I just recall them posting about selling them for cheap. Maybe drop them a PM or something to see if they can hook ya up.
jmarshall28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM
  #443  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by jmarshall28 View Post
I don't know actually, I just recall them posting about selling them for cheap. Maybe drop them a PM or something to see if they can hook ya up.
I'll send them a PM see what happens.

I need to measure first and see if they will fit.

Maybe 2 840s and then a 6-7" screen on the right side for engine data.


midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 PM
  #444  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 1,317
Default

iím not a button guy. i like the touchscreen models like the 741, 742 and 942 units. Isnít a 942xs about the same size as the 840? i realize they cost more but spending other peopleís money is easy.
jmarshall28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
  #445  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by jmarshall28 View Post
iím not a button guy. i like the touchscreen models like the 741, 742 and 942 units. Isnít a 942xs about the same size as the 840? i realize they cost more but spending other peopleís money is easy.
lol I'm trying not to spend more than the boat and engines cost
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM
  #446  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Screens for days
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM
  #447  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Metairie
Posts: 924
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
lol I'm trying not to spend more than the boat and engines cost
Says a guy that has less in his hull and engines! Spend spend spend
kyle_howie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:57 AM
  #448  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by kyle_howie View Post
Says a guy that has less in his hull and engines! Spend spend spend
haha....I can't argue with that.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM
  #449  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 8,446
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
haha....I can't argue with that.
Oh yes you can
HTJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM
  #450  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by HTJ View Post
Oh yes you can
What's funny is that I have to laugh at myself with wanting to get all of this fancy electronic wizardry is that for the longest time I fished with my dad offshore with the v23.

GPS consisted of a Magellan handheld on a ram mount and FF consisted of a Hummingbird monochrome fish finder.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM
  #451  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Metairie
Posts: 924
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
What's funny is that I have to laugh at myself with wanting to get all of this fancy electronic wizardry is that for the longest time I fished with my dad offshore with the v23.

GPS consisted of a Magellan handheld on a ram mount and FF consisted of a Hummingbird monochrome fish finder.
Haha thatís what i grew up fishing offshore with as well.. an arrow pointing toward the waypoint and a monochrome hummingbird.. on a 18í Boston Whaler 50 miles offshore
kyle_howie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM
  #452  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by kyle_howie View Post
Haha thatís what i grew up fishing offshore with as well.. an arrow pointing toward the waypoint and a monochrome hummingbird.. on a 18í Boston Whaler 50 miles offshore
lol...I remember that follow the arrow and check the compass to make sure you put in the right way point.

I remember thinking we were big time when we got the v23, because it had two engines and we were able to buy a brand new aluminum trailer for it.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM
  #453  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 8,446
Default

My first experiences going offshore were in my uncles 19' trihull with an 85 Chrysler circa 1977 or so out of Corpus Christi - that thing was a Freeman to a 13 year old from dry ass West TX Electroncs were a hummingbird flasher and an 8 track tape player. And fortunately the cowl was easy to remove on that old Chrysler 'cuz we did a bunch of that

Is all too easy to get spooled up over twin touch screens, $1000 transducers and open array radar and sure it looks cool but in reality the net effect is pretty miniscule for most of us most of the time. 99.99% Of my use is navigating out and back and finding the wreck or bottom contour I'm interested in or seeing where the clump of fish are around a rig - not rocket surgery.

But on Mids boat I would be all over a pair of 840's
HTJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 AM
  #454  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by HTJ View Post
My first experiences going offshore were in my uncles 19' trihull with an 85 Chrysler circa 1977 or so out of Corpus Christi - that thing was a Freeman to a 13 year old from dry ass West TX Electroncs were a hummingbird flasher and an 8 track tape player. And fortunately the cowl was easy to remove on that old Chrysler 'cuz we did a bunch of that

Is all too easy to get spooled up over twin touch screens, $1000 transducers and open array radar and sure it looks cool but in reality the net effect is pretty miniscule for most of us most of the time. 99.99% Of my use is navigating out and back and finding the wreck or bottom contour I'm interested in or seeing where the clump of fish are around a rig - not rocket surgery.

But on Mids boat I would be all over a pair of 840's
The price is right that's for sure.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 PM
  #455  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Would it look stupid to have two Garmin Units with a smaller Lowrance unit on the side for Engine Data?
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 PM
  #456  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 4,772
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
Would it look stupid to have two Garmin Units with a smaller Lowrance unit on the side for Engine Data?
Who really gives a crap? Get the Simrad GO7 for the engine data if you want something fancy.
cwhite6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
  #457  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 597
Default

I 2nd the Simrad GO7. I had one on my last boat and was an amazing MFD for 500 bucks. I liked it better than my Garmin 94sv that was in the same boat. You can configure the GO7 to show all your engine data in numeric form in either one or two of the side bars on the display and still have a map or sonar running. Of course it has designated engine screens that are configurable also. You can even display map, sonar and engine data all at the same time, but everything gets smaller and harder to read on a 7" display.
Dufrsp31 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:28 PM
  #458  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

Originally Posted by cwhite6 View Post
Who really gives a crap? Get the Simrad GO7 for the engine data if you want something fancy.
That is a really nice unit, since the whole thing is practically a screen.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM
  #459  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,339
Default

check this out guys lol



I'm digging it
HTJ and XCalibur like this.
midcap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:00 PM
  #460  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 4,772
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
check this out guys lol



I'm digging it
Nice. If you get Mercury or Yamaha motors and connect them to the NMEA backbone and such, the GO series has the Mercury Vessel View and the Yamaha Command Link Plus software already loaded on it.
cwhite6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: