The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Gulf Coast (https://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast-31/)
-   -   Fishing out of Venice in April (https://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast/821443-fishing-out-venice-april.html)

tunanut 02-16-2017 06:34 AM

Fishing out of Venice in April
 
Thinking about a fishing trip with my son over Easter week April 8-15. Everything I'm reading on the internet says April is kinda between seasons there. What can I expect to be around inshore and offshore during that time period?

cwhite6 02-16-2017 08:10 AM

Wind!! The fishing is good, but offshore trips get blown out alot (at least in my experience). Offshore the tuna will probably be transitioning depending on the temperature and water. You can always catch stuff though.

tunanut 02-17-2017 03:44 AM


Originally Posted by cwhite6 (Post 9977519)
Wind!! The fishing is good, but offshore trips get blown out alot (at least in my experience). Offshore the tuna will probably be transitioning depending on the temperature and water. You can always catch stuff though.

Yeah, the wind is always the enemy. Appreciate the response. Guess we'll bring an offshore boat, a backwater boat, rent a houseboat in Venice and play the hand that mother nature deals us. I was hoping for some direction as to what was likely to be around to target.

cwhite6 02-17-2017 06:02 AM


Originally Posted by tunanut (Post 9980560)
Yeah, the wind is always the enemy. Appreciate the response. Guess we'll bring an offshore boat, a backwater boat, rent a houseboat in Venice and play the hand that mother nature deals us. I was hoping for some direction as to what was likely to be around to target.

Last year I remember fishing in Tiger Pass and watching 4 or 5 30' + Contenders, Yellowfins, and others redfishing. The wind blew up out of nowhere and the seas went to heck overnight. As far as offshore fish, the tuna will be around. The will probably be transitioning to the shelf rigs, but folks on here can update around then. The snapper and other bottom fish are always there. There will probably not be a weedline yet, no probably no dolphin.

capthoop 02-17-2017 06:08 AM


Originally Posted by cwhite6 (Post 9980993)
Last year I remember fishing in Tiger Pass and watching 4 or 5 30' + Contenders, Yellowfins, and others redfishing. The wind blew up out of nowhere and the seas went to heck overnight. As far as offshore fish, the tuna will be around. The will probably be transitioning to the shelf rigs, but folks on here can update around then. The snapper and other bottom fish are always there. There will probably not be a weedline yet, no probably no dolphin.

X2

tunanut 04-21-2017 10:34 AM

This trip gave me
 
7 Attachment(s)
an underpowered complex. My God the boats down there need stables to house all that horsepower. Fortunately we had some good days and even after being beat badly to the rigs, there were still some fish left for us to catch. Can't tell you the names of the rigs cause I don't know them, but we basically headed out of NE, caught pogies, then headed out. While pulling into some rigs out of south pass on the first day to look for snapper we got a visit and boarding from Louisiana's finest. They were very profesional, checked my permits, licenses, and fish box, then sent us on our way. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip with my dad and son, I know the days of having all 3 generations on the boat at once are numbered. Enjoy the pics

Attachment 869922
Attachment 869923

Attachment 869924
Attachment 869925
Attachment 869926
Attachment 869927

Attachment 869928

BananaTom 04-21-2017 12:53 PM

NIce

s1mplee 04-22-2017 06:09 PM

Nice work! Is that a 26 Regulator?

tunanut 04-23-2017 05:10 AM


Originally Posted by s1mplee (Post 10199200)
Nice work! Is that a 26 Regulator?

Yes sir, with a couple 200 hpdi's. That run down the river really exposed how slow it really is, or how fast those quad freeman's are. I should have videoed them blowing by us every morning, but I was too butt hurt. I smell a set of white 300 Suzuki's in the near future for her.

capthoop 04-23-2017 07:14 PM

Looks like you were at Elf and 109.

fkjunkin 04-23-2017 10:00 PM

Any suggestions on where to try for a tuna in mid May?

Will be my first trip targeting them but as everything else is closed I thought I may give it a shot.

Thinking the VK are might be what I go for and run from Biloxi, would this be a decent plan?

I can trailer to Venice but not sure i want to, range is not an issue.

tunanut 04-24-2017 04:33 AM


Originally Posted by fkjunkin (Post 10202436)
Any suggestions on where to try for a tuna in mid May?

Will be my first trip targeting them but as everything else is closed I thought I may give it a shot.

Thinking the VK are might be what I go for and run from Biloxi, would this be a decent plan?

I can trailer to Venice but not sure i want to, range is not an issue.

I trailered down from NC. NOLA and Atlanta were my biggest headaches. Can't say I enjoyed towing threw NO, but it's probably better than than a long run in an angry gulf. We really didn't have a plan other than catch bait. We just bounced rig to rig, dropping some pogy chunks, one with a hook and another with a swimmer on it. It doesn't take long to find out if the rig is holding tuna. Live bait was more effective, but we did catch quite a few on the chunks. We caught tuna on the rigs(green water) in 300ft east out of NE out to the rig in 3000ft(blue water) 22nm south(150)' out of South pass. I also found a bump a couple miles out of south pass in 120' that held all the snapper we could catch. My dad couldn't believe that we didn't fish the rigs for snapper. For never fishing down there before, I think we did OK. Sure learned a lot.

Thanks Capthoop for that, good to put a name to them.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.