Notices

Destin area Cobia peak

Old 01-30-2017, 06:53 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Millry, AL / Destin , FL
Posts: 75
Default Destin area Cobia peak

If any of you guys could offer advice id greatly appreciate it. I bought a boat last spring and have gradually bought enough fishing equipment to start using the boat for what I bought it for, I would love to start out Cobia fishing this spring. When is the best month for me to start targeting them there, and can you offer any other helpful information?
Zuki is offline  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:37 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
Default

April
Bullboxer is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:10 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,442
Default

When you walk to your mailbox down the driveway and the fire ants start biting, that's when you should start looking.

April is good but I think everything is going to be early this year, so keep your ear to the ground.
Big Iron is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 05:53 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
Default

Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
When you walk to your mailbox down the driveway and the fire ants start biting, that's when you should start looking.

April is good but I think everything is going to be early this year, so keep your ear to the ground.
My fire ants never left this year. Dang things won't die after about 5 treatments of killer.
Bullboxer is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Millry, AL / Destin , FL
Posts: 75
Default

Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
When you walk to your mailbox down the driveway and the fire ants start biting, that's when you should start looking.

April is good but I think everything is going to be early this year, so keep your ear to the ground.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if the mild winter we've had might make things happen a little earlier. Now that I'm equiped and can go more frequently I can start logging weather patterns and fish activity myself but I needed a starting point idea. Again, thanks everyone.
Zuki is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dauphin Island,Al.
Posts: 2,046
Default

Dogwoods blooming...
dryhydro is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Destin, FL.
Posts: 728
Default

so the dogwoods blooming thing seems to be a common denominator with crappie fishing, turkey hunting and Cobia! nice
HuntersDad is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:29 AM
  #8  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,321
Default

Originally Posted by Bullboxer View Post
My fire ants never left this year. Dang things won't die after about 5 treatments of killer.
bifen I/T you're welcome!
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:58 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mobile & Orange Beach
Posts: 368
Default

Just look out there. Everyone in their brother will be out there once the first one is caught off a pier or by a lone wolf out there by themselves early in the season.
KimmerIII is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:56 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,125
Default

per PFF, one was caught like 3 days ago. maybe they are here early due to the screwy weather
Bullboxer is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:22 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,442
Default

Originally Posted by Bullboxer View Post
per PFF, one was caught like 3 days ago. maybe they are here early due to the screwy weather
Jesus I'm not ready yet
Big Iron is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 PM
  #12  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,321
Default

one here one there I've caught them off PCB nov, dec and jan fwiw

oh and FTR nobody will pay on the "first cobia of the year" in Novemeber!

and also fwiw they were all caught bottom fishing in about 100-120 feet the one in Nov came off the quonset hut
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,442
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
one here one there I've caught them off PCB nov, dec and jan fwiw

oh and FTR nobody will pay on the "first cobia of the year" in Novemeber!

and also fwiw they were all caught bottom fishing in about 100-120 feet the one in Nov came off the quonset hut
We caught one in nov bottom fishing this year too. But water was warm and I saw them coming into Venice pretty heavy in October. Not that far of a swim
Big Iron is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:51 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,442
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
one here one there I've caught them off PCB nov, dec and jan fwiw

oh and FTR nobody will pay on the "first cobia of the year" in Novemeber!

and also fwiw they were all caught bottom fishing in about 100-120 feet the one in Nov came off the quonset hut
We caught one in nov bottom fishing this year too. But water was warm and I saw them coming into Venice pretty heavy in October. Not that far of a swim.
Big Iron is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 2,489
Default

Originally Posted by Bullboxer View Post
per PFF, one was caught like 3 days ago. maybe they are here early due to the screwy weather
Several caught in Destin this week. All over inshore wrecks tho. With a mild winter like this year, it's not uncommon to have resident fish; usually smaller fish. The big dogs will be moving through in April (or perhaps sooner as Big Iron mentioned). Can't wait!
gamefish25 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:19 PM
  #16  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,321
Default

what you want is light SE winds (over an extended time period)

I always started to see the most when the water temp within a few miles of the beach hit 69F

you can watch the water move in on your fav sat imaging site

Hope yall slay them.

PS I ate a $4300 cobia one time (it was like 30-35 lbs iirc) . . . . sure wish I could do that one over lol

And I will say this: I will always have mad love for live eels but I had great luck with squid and fluoro (as well as other things but those would be my two first string baits)

ETA those are my fav baits for that area - not necessarily everywhere
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:39 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 2,489
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
what you want is light SE winds (over an extended time period)

I always started to see the most when the water temp within a few miles of the beach hit 69F

you can watch the water move in on your fav sat imaging site

Hope yall slay them.

PS I ate a $4300 cobia one time (it was like 30-35 lbs iirc) . . . . sure wish I could do that one over lol

And I will say this: I will always have mad love for live eels but I had great luck with squid and fluoro (as well as other things but those would be my two first string baits)

ETA those are my fav baits for that area - not necessarily everywhere
Dang Rob 30-35 pounder? We can't even weigh em in unless they are at least 40 haha

Just giving you shit. Touch base when you're in town. We still gotta have that beer. Hope you're doing well and in good health man.
gamefish25 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 04:45 PM
  #18  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,321
Default

I'll have to tell you about it sometime - there was only 1 (might have been 2 MAX) fish weighed, it was VERY rough and the water was chocolate milk from the pass at St Andrews all the way to East Pass. I wish I could remember what year that was.

B/c of the size we just went home figuring it wasn't worth the time/effort. I about died when I read the paper the next deer.

It was pretty good, though

I'm doing good and we will head over there about a month from now I'd say. Kinda busy.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 06:13 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Destin FL
Posts: 2,489
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
I'll have to tell you about it sometime - there was only 1 (might have been 2 MAX) fish weighed, it was VERY rough and the water was chocolate milk from the pass at St Andrews all the way to East Pass. I wish I could remember what year that was.

B/c of the size we just went home figuring it wasn't worth the time/effort. I about died when I read the paper the next deer.

It was pretty good, though

I'm doing good and we will head over there about a month from now I'd say. Kinda busy.
Ahhh gotcha. Figured it was something weather related. Can be crystal clear one day and nasty the next that time of year.. Glad you're doin good man <><
gamefish25 is offline  
Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 233
Default

So for guys going offshore Destin and Pensacola whats the typical strategy for catching Cobia? Fish offshore wrecks and reefs? What depth of water? Pinfish/live bait or artifical?
jwmd2010 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread