Notices
Gulf Coast
 Houghtalinglaw

Rewiring a boat?

Old 11-21-2020, 07:44 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 11,191
Received 951 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

60 hours @ $125 an hour.

maybe I should start rewiring boats again.
Likes:
Old 11-22-2020, 04:29 AM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 7,479
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Default

Here’s what $125 per hour gets you. This is a mix of jobs that range from completely stripping and rewiring, full electronics jobs and additional components added to existing factory rigging. Can you spot our work vs. factory rigging?

Freeman 34

Onslow 27


Cayo 26

Invincible 40 Cat

Fountain 38

Yellowfin 36

SeaVee 390

Gravois 26

Cape Horn 32


Yellowfin 32

Lake & Bay 20


Here’s some shots of our work directly next to some work by a local audio/wanna-be rigging shop who could “do it cheaper”. You always get what you pay for.



Likes:
Crew400, deckape, Frigate Sales, GulfRegulator23, murfpcola, westbootie and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:51 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 11,191
Received 951 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

Talk about some chaffing thats gonna happen on the aluminum boat..wow
Old 11-30-2020, 05:34 AM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 12
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
Here’s what $125 per hour gets you. This is a mix of jobs that range from completely stripping and rewiring, full electronics jobs and additional components added to existing factory rigging. Can you spot our work vs. factory rigging?


Here’s some shots of our work directly next to some work by a local audio/wanna-be rigging shop who could “do it cheaper”. You always get what you pay for.
Very impressive work!
Old 12-01-2020, 01:59 PM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisissippi
Posts: 357
Received 107 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

I called Metro Boats on the West Bank. I found my quote to be easy on the pocket book. Granted, it was just a ballpark figure to wire a Blackjack.

Metro does some tight clean work though. I will be bringing mine in this winter to clear the rats nest.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:41 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 11,191
Received 951 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by _TidewateR_ View Post
I called Metro Boats on the West Bank. I found my quote to be easy on the pocket book. Granted, it was just a ballpark figure to wire a Blackjack.

Metro does some tight clean work though. I will be bringing mine in this winter to clear the rats nest.
Great place to have work done.

Make sure to bring them some Tupelo Bananas as a gift.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:15 AM
  #27  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by default_user8 View Post
The wiring on my boat is a total rats nest. I mean I get it my boat is 16 years old and I'm the 3rd owner. Has anyone in the Baton Rouge area just said screw it and paid someone to rewire everything on their boat. Just wondering how much it would cost to have it done. I'm fully capable of doing it, but seems like every minute of my life is pretty much accounted for until my he was date.😂 And it's hard enough to squeeze in time to take the boat out, and seems like stuff that needs to be addressed keeps piling up.

Wiring is not expensive to do yourself but it is very expensive to have someone else do it. That being said, it's a huge headache to do yourself so you are purely paying someone else to deal with your headache. Wiring jobs are very expensive but just keep that in mind. They are having to take on your headache and make it their own. I've seen wiring jobs cost thousands and thousands of dollars which more often than not ends with a pissed off customer who feels they were taken advantage of because the cost of materials wasn't near what the bill was for. In my opinion guys who can do a good wiring job that is organized and looks pretty are worth every penny. If you don't have the money to pay for it, just do it yourself.

Just my $0.02
Likes:
Ruk
Old 12-03-2020, 02:56 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 11,191
Received 951 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thaechten View Post
Wiring is not expensive to do yourself but it is very expensive to have someone else do it. That being said, it's a huge headache to do yourself so you are purely paying someone else to deal with your headache. Wiring jobs are very expensive but just keep that in mind. They are having to take on your headache and make it their own. I've seen wiring jobs cost thousands and thousands of dollars which more often than not ends with a pissed off customer who feels they were taken advantage of because the cost of materials wasn't near what the bill was for. In my opinion guys who can do a good wiring job that is organized and looks pretty are worth every penny. If you don't have the money to pay for it, just do it yourself.

Just my $0.02
It's very time consuming. That's where the costs comes from.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:44 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 1,135
Received 361 Likes on 142 Posts
Default

Beautiful work David Wade Marine
Old 12-04-2020, 06:01 PM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 3,636
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thaechten View Post
Wiring is not expensive to do yourself but it is very expensive to have someone else do it. That being said, it's a huge headache to do yourself so you are purely paying someone else to deal with your headache. Wiring jobs are very expensive but just keep that in mind. They are having to take on your headache and make it their own. I've seen wiring jobs cost thousands and thousands of dollars which more often than not ends with a pissed off customer who feels they were taken advantage of because the cost of materials wasn't near what the bill was for. In my opinion guys who can do a good wiring job that is organized and looks pretty are worth every penny. If you don't have the money to pay for it, just do it yourself.

Just my $0.02
Agreed....headache and a massive backache. 12V DC wiring doesn't require a rocket surgeon. Nearly anyone can make all the hook ups. But it takes a ton of planning, forethought and trial and error to get it all laid out neatly and tied down tight.. Most people don't really care to have a work of art. A functional setup can be attained with a little time spent.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:14 PM
  #31  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 76
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

I just had mine totally rewired. Everything. It was a total rat's nest before..
Old 12-06-2020, 11:25 PM
  #32  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: The Rigolets, LA
Posts: 108
Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by westbootie View Post
Beautiful work David Wade Marine
No doubt. Who know wires could be so sexxxy,
Old 12-07-2020, 03:26 AM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 7,479
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by westbootie View Post
Beautiful work David Wade Marine
Originally Posted by Boatbutcher View Post
No doubt. Who know wires could be so sexxxy,
Thanks y’all.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:15 PM
  #34  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 76
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Wow. Super impressive. Someone or some people are really talented. Those are some works of art!
Old 12-07-2020, 12:45 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Saint Francisville, LA
Posts: 1,880
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

old 90's era regulators came from the factory with a birdnest. yours looks great
Old 12-07-2020, 12:52 PM
  #36  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Fairhope, AL
Posts: 76
Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Yea, I came from the factory messy. I switched electronics about 10 years ago and it became even more of a nightmare. This time, I had it done right!
Old 12-11-2020, 05:55 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Galliano / Pointe Fourchon, La.
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Im procrastinating re wiring my 25 seachaser bayrunner LX. freakin bayboat with 18 switches. Ive fished on very nice offshore boats that dont have 18 switches. ill prolly redo it myself and go down to 8 or 9 switches and still have a couple spares. need to make a new panel to mount them though.
David Wade is doing a helluva job on a 35 Everglades that ill get to polish and wax this spring.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:08 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 401
Likes: 0
Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post
Thanks y’all.
awesome work. you get what you pay for.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:13 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 11,191
Received 951 Likes on 679 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TMC10 View Post
Im procrastinating re wiring my 25 seachaser bayrunner LX. freakin bayboat with 18 switches. Ive fished on very nice offshore boats that dont have 18 switches. ill prolly redo it myself and go down to 8 or 9 switches and still have a couple spares. need to make a new panel to mount them though.
David Wade is doing a helluva job on a 35 Everglades that ill get to polish and wax this spring.
dang...that's a lot of switches.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.