Notices

Can you carry a gun on a boat

Old 06-28-2020, 12:38 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: englewood, florida
Posts: 5,841
Received 669 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
Is there a gulf coast state covered by this forum that does not allow open carry?
florida allows it when travelling to and from or participating in fishing, hunting, camping and range activities only...

Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post
Be a man and gaff the damn fish.
you still pull start your engine...dont you?...
Old 06-28-2020, 01:05 PM
  #42  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Furbird View Post
Why? Because criminals know no bounds. Carrying on a boat is the same as carrying in your car; it's your vehicle and your property, you have every right to protect it. If somebody pulls up next to you seemingly of no threat then all of a sudden jumps on your boat and attacks you because they want your GPS or fish finder. Disables your vessel and kidnaps one of your children. Holds you at gunpoint and rapes your wife.
YIKES. I don't want to boat where you boat...
Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 544
Likes: 0
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

From a federal standpoint there are no laws that preclude a legal person from having a legal gun on board their vessel.
I used to get this question a lot when I worked in the Coast Guard Office Of Boating Safety. Doug answered it pretty succinctly. All the arguments and reasons given for carrying one are irrelevant to the OPs question. But what has not been said is state and local laws may prohibit it. So you better check with your state or local LEOs before doing it, especially in New York.

Also you need to consider what your plans are? Are you going to the Bahamas, Canada, Mexico. Take a gun to those places and you may well end up a long term guest of the local justice system, especially in Mexico, even if you inadvertently enter their waters with no intention of making a landfall.. So if you are planning a trip outside U.S. or international waters check ahead to find out the rules.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM
  #44  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 9
Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mdees88 View Post
Hmmmm, as a responsible gun owner, would it be better to.....

1) Leave my firearm in an unattended vehicle at a public boat ramp for half a day

or

2) Bring it on the boat so it stays in my possession?

.
This......exactly...
Likes:
Old 06-29-2020, 08:40 AM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,603
Received 1,193 Likes on 649 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Texdoc8953 View Post
YIKES. I don't want to boat where you boat...
think you and many others would be surprised how many boaters are ambushed, robbed and even killed at boat ramps and other locations all over the US. Ramps in general tend to be some high crime areas, from break ins to all other. Fishermen are often alone, late in the night or early morning, carrying high dollar equpiment that is easy to pawn. Besides Gulf coast states allow open carry, so of course you can carry on your boat. Not even sure where most of these people are from posting on this thread that claim you can not. Activities like cast n blast are a staple in many gulf coast states.

The shootout and robber being killed by a man crabbing happened two months or so ago not to far from where I launch from. I have in the past years crabbed the same location. You can find stories like this from any location where people fish, some end in the fishermen being the victim.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...c-aa31f9d0113c

Last edited by Jeepman; 06-29-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Likes:
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 AM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 544
Likes: 0
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the last time I heard of fisherman shooting at each other was over native american fishing rights back in the 70's, after the Boldt decision handed 50% of the commercial salmon catch to native Americans. Lately some fisherman have been shooting seals but not each other. Haven't seen any reports here of people being robbed at boat ramps, some car prowls and break-ins but no shootings.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:13 AM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dauphin Island,Al.
Posts: 2,662
Received 489 Likes on 290 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PeterDE View Post
Here in the Pacific Northwest, the last time I heard of fisherman shooting at each other was over native american fishing rights back in the 70's, after the Boldt decision handed 50% of the commercial salmon catch to native Americans. Lately some fisherman have been shooting seals but not each other. Haven't seen any reports here of people being robbed at boat ramps, some car prowls and break-ins but no shootings.
I guess Seattle is the norm out that way also???
Likes:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 544
Likes: 0
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts
Default

What's going on in Seattle has nothing to do with boating or fishing. It would take a whole page to explain demographics of Washington and Oregon especially as it applies to fishing and boating, suffice it to say both states have a split personality politically and socially.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:13 AM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central, FL
Posts: 13,077
Received 3,107 Likes on 1,459 Posts
Default

The thing is, You don't really need a gun..........

......Until you do!

Assaults happen to people everyday that have never had anything happen to them before!

Old 06-29-2020, 03:58 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SWFL
Posts: 349
Received 170 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
The thing is, You don't really need a gun..........

......Until you do!

Assaults happen to people everyday that have never had anything happen to them before!

I dont plan on having a fire on the boat today....but there is a fire extinguisher on board just in case.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 PM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: englewood, florida
Posts: 5,841
Received 669 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

i find it funny that a lot of the same issues come up whenever this question is answered...by some of the cons responses you would think that gun owners that ask these questions are just itching to shoot something and cant help themselves...

the reality is, if this were even remotely true, there would be a hell of a lot more shit being shot than there is...and for some reason people just cant seem to wrap their head around that fact...there are countless guns carried everywhere they are allowed to be carried on a daily basis and most arent even aware they are carrying on a conversation with someone doing so in church, at the grocery store or in line at the movie theater...

we arent the problem...if we were you would know it...there is nothing wrong with carrying a gun where it is legal to do so and it says nothing about the one who chooses to carry other than they are prepared...thats all...some of us have open carried while fishing...why?...because we can...doesnt matter...some prefer to leave them in the car....fine...i know people who carry ar's on their boats, defensive shotguns (and yes some travel to faraway places with them-legally) and a multitude of pistols...some even enjoy shooting sports in international waters (the ricochet line was cheap and really a bullshit token attempt to discredit someone...all the same rules apply out on the water)....

put away your "holier than thou" and high horse bs...the answer to the question is simple...if your local laws and laws regarding where you plan to boat allow it, it is fine...period...how you choose to use it while youre on the water is governed by laws also...obey them...if you choose not to carry a gun at all or in places others choose to legally...youre fine...just dont try to push your agenda on those who choose to...you should know better by now...
Likes:
Fishman39, GETREEL II, horsepen40, Jus Teasin, mdees88, trejsic.mejsic, twindiesel and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 403
Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
think you and many others would be surprised how many boaters are ambushed, robbed and even killed at boat ramps and other locations all over the US. Ramps in general tend to be some high crime areas, from break ins to all other. Fishermen are often alone, late in the night or early morning, carrying high dollar equpiment that is easy to pawn. Besides Gulf coast states allow open carry, so of course you can carry on your boat. Not even sure where most of these people are from posting on this thread that claim you can not. Activities like cast n blast are a staple in many gulf coast states.

The shootout and robber being killed by a man crabbing happened two months or so ago not to far from where I launch from. I have in the past years crabbed the same location. You can find stories like this from any location where people fish, some end in the fishermen being the victim.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...c-aa31f9d0113c
Were they crabbing from shore or were they in a boat? Sounds like the bad guy was fleeing on land so I'm not sure how he would be a threat to a boater. When was the last time there was a violent crime committed offshore which involved an innocent party on a different vessel or an act of piracy in US waters?

If you feel like you need a gun on a boat to ensure your safety that's fine. But unless you're also wearing a PFD once you set foot on the dock, checking your bilge pumps before every outing, wearing a kill switch, filing a float plan, avoiding lightning by 10 miles, have a weather radar or satellite weather, having a first aid kit plus 2 tourniquets, trained in at least CPR, carrying an EPIRB plus a PLB for each person and not touching alcohol while underway then I don't think it's as much about staying safe as much as feeling like a bad ass. If you still want to carry then go ahead, but call it what it is IMO.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:02 AM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,603
Received 1,193 Likes on 649 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post
Were they crabbing from shore or were they in a boat? Sounds like the bad guy was fleeing on land so I'm not sure how he would be a threat to a boater. When was the last time there was a violent crime committed offshore which involved an innocent party on a different vessel or an act of piracy in US waters?

.
kinda don't find people when shit goes bad offshore, but anyone can google Mexican pirates if they so wish to find someone being killed on a Texas lake.

Guess you never use boat ramps, just a very recent example of a person on a rampage that involved a fishermen. You can also google boat ramp killings and find plenty of them also all over the US. Don't take much effort. I can only assume growing up with family living on rivers, and spending so much time around water I understand how much crime there is in these remote areas. Ignorance is bliss, guess until you find yourself being beat to death at a boat ramp at 4am without a gun.

https://www.ktts.com/2020/04/22/fish...stockton-lake/


Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post

If you feel like you need a gun on a boat to ensure your safety that's fine. But unless you're also wearing a PFD once you set foot on the dock, checking your bilge pumps before every outing, wearing a kill switch, filing a float plan, avoiding lightning by 10 miles, have a weather radar or satellite weather, having a first aid kit plus 2 tourniquets, trained in at least CPR, carrying an EPIRB plus a PLB for each person and not touching alcohol while underway then I don't think it's as much about staying safe as much as feeling like a bad ass. If you still want to carry then go ahead, but call it what it is IMO.
hahah we actually do all of that and more. Just experienced. Carry a tire tool and jack also, hope to never use them either, but they are tools that when needed are invaluable. Gun is the same, the fact you do not understand this does not change it. Hopefully you never find yourself in a situation where you need an invaluable tool and do not have it.

Last edited by Jeepman; 06-30-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 AM
  #54  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: englewood, florida
Posts: 5,841
Received 669 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post
Were they crabbing from shore or were they in a boat? Sounds like the bad guy was fleeing on land so I'm not sure how he would be a threat to a boater. When was the last time there was a violent crime committed offshore which involved an innocent party on a different vessel or an act of piracy in US waters?

If you feel like you need a gun on a boat to ensure your safety that's fine. But unless you're also wearing a PFD once you set foot on the dock, checking your bilge pumps before every outing, wearing a kill switch, filing a float plan, avoiding lightning by 10 miles, have a weather radar or satellite weather, having a first aid kit plus 2 tourniquets, trained in at least CPR, carrying an EPIRB plus a PLB for each person and not touching alcohol while underway then I don't think it's as much about staying safe as much as feeling like a bad ass. If you still want to carry then go ahead, but call it what it is IMO.
your opinion..of course...we all make decisions...the beauty of this country...whether you approve of it or not...regardless of the requirements you put on it...because your opinion doesnt really matter as much as you think....
Old 06-30-2020, 06:41 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 542
Received 140 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

I think Mr. Eastwood lays it all out here nicely.

Likes:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: texas coast
Posts: 1,161
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mudpuppy1 View Post
I have fished the Gulf of Mexico off the border of Texas and Mexico for 60 years, often trolling into Mexican waters and never, ever felt threatened in any way. I grew up fishing the mouth of the Rio Grande River and camping on Boca Chica Beach at the mouth of the Rio Grande River and have never, ever felt threatened. Hell, on U.S. holidays like the 4th of July we would sometimes go to the Mexican beach to avoid the crowds. Again, never felt threatened. The deal at Falcon lake, 100 miles inland may be different.
This is the 2nd time Falcon lake has been brought up ... there was a man out with his wife on jet skiis who drove across the lake to find some notable historic site on or near the Mexican side and were attacked and chased by the Mexican shooter (on a watercraft) the wife survived her husband died of gunshot wounds, this fellow was a high school friend of my son from Loveland Colorado and has been sorely missed ... I live on the Texas coast now for 10+ years. Recently (oct 2019) a couple from New Hampshire were killed on the lower Tx coast while they were beach camping (about 4-5 miles from my residence) ... their camper and truck were photographed crossing the border to Mexico a day or two after the couple had been murdered ... you never know when you'll need to protect yourself but for me, the closer I get to the southern border the likelier I am to carry ...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:08 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mobile
Posts: 111
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I admitted it, when I strap one of my many AR-15 with 60 round clip or street sweeper I kinda do feel like a bad ass. AR-15s are designed for one purpose, to wound and kill people, as are street sweepers as their name implies. I have fought against the commercial fishing industry for decades, they have keyed my car at the marina, flatten my tires, and threaten my life numerous times. There were many times I would have loved to settle it in in a Wild West Shootout on the water. But then I got older, and maybe wiser. So I am not taking anything but possibly a small pistol, maybe.

i actually have helped rescue Gill netters, before, as when we are on the water it’s us against fish and sea, and we grossly overmatched. That’s why we should always render aid to distressed boaters, (even though the Coast Guard doesn’t and will not not us legally required too) even if it’s people you personally dislike, or are clearly idiots.

i have been trying to get some of those medical rubber hoses to use as emergency Tourniquets, where can you get those. My doctor and nurse buddies refuse to give me any from the hospital. (Lol)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:11 PM
  #58  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,603
Received 1,193 Likes on 649 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mudpuppy1 View Post
I have fished the Gulf of Mexico off the border of Texas and Mexico for 60 years, often trolling into Mexican waters and never, ever felt threatened in any way. I grew up fishing the mouth of the Rio Grande River and camping on Boca Chica Beach at the mouth of the Rio Grande River and have never, ever felt threatened. Hell, on U.S. holidays like the 4th of July we would sometimes go to the Mexican beach to avoid the crowds. Again, never felt threatened. The deal at Falcon lake, 100 miles inland may be different.
What decade were you traveling to the Mexican beach and feeling safe? Between the drug runners, the people smuggling, the illegal fishing villages and the fact it is by far the quickest and easiest place to make someone disappear. The Mexican beach just south of Texas is one of the most dangerous places you can be. The US government does not issue those travel alerts for nothing.

The Gulf Cartel has open daylight street battles with the cops directly across from the Texas border. Having a hard time believing that you are talking about a time in this century. As a person who in my youth spent a lot of time in Mexico, it is not the same as it was and the violence is getting worse. No way I would cross the border now.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM
  #59  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mobile
Posts: 1,891
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default

I don’t know why I wouldn’t carry a gun on my boat.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stapleton, AL
Posts: 3,268
Received 1,291 Likes on 695 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jackfish2800 View Post
I admitted it, when I strap one of my many AR-15 with 60 round clip or street sweeper I kinda do feel like a bad ass. AR-15s are designed for one purpose, to wound and kill people, as are street sweepers as their name implies. I have fought against the commercial fishing industry for decades, they have keyed my car at the marina, flatten my tires, and threaten my life numerous times. There were many times I would have loved to settle it in in a Wild West Shootout on the water. But then I got older, and maybe wiser. So I am not taking anything but possibly a small pistol, maybe.
I think I would feel a little better having not read most of this but how are you wiser by thinking a small pistol is better for protecting your life than an AR? Certainly a small pistol would be preferred in regards to the ease of storing it on a boat.

Originally Posted by Jackfish2800 View Post
i have been trying to get some of those medical rubber hoses to use as emergency Tourniquets, where can you get those. My doctor and nurse buddies refuse to give me any from the hospital. (Lol)
Do you want to pretend you're saving someone's life or actually save someone's life? Buy the real thing and train with it.... https://www.narescue.com/combat-appl...uet-c-a-t.html

Last edited by mdees88; 07-02-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.