The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,193
Default Asian grass carp found in 3 of the Great Lakes, reproducing

The gist of the story is that Asian grass carp have been found in Lakes Michigan, Erie and Ontario. Some of these carp are fertile and there is evidence that they are reproducing.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...akes/97165580/

The study behind this newspaper story was published by our friends in Canada, but is part of a Canada/US joint effort to study the threat of Asian carp in the Great Lakes . Here is a link to a report summary. A link to the full document is at the bottom of the summary.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...16_057-eng.pdf

Here is a link to an update, including the names of the contributors.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...16_049-eng.pdf

The confirmation of reproducing Asian carp in the Great Lakes is something that Great Lakes anglers have been dreading. We're hoping (because hope seems to be the only plan of action) the electronic barrier in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal will prevent other Asian carp in the Mississippi River system, namely the silver and bighead, from also entering the Great Lakes, but it appears the barrier did not stop the grass carp.
yarcraft91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
The gist of the story is that Asian grass carp have been found in Lakes Michigan, Erie and Ontario. Some of these carp are fertile and there is evidence that they are reproducing.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...akes/97165580/

The study behind this newspaper story was published by our friends in Canada, but is part of a Canada/US joint effort to study the threat of Asian carp in the Great Lakes . Here is a link to a report summary. A link to the full document is at the bottom of the summary.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...16_057-eng.pdf

Here is a link to an update, including the names of the contributors.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...16_049-eng.pdf

The confirmation of reproducing Asian carp in the Great Lakes is something that Great Lakes anglers have been dreading. We're hoping (because hope seems to be the only plan of action) the electronic barrier in the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal will prevent other Asian carp in the Mississippi River system, namely the silver and bighead, from also entering the Great Lakes, but it appears the barrier did not stop the grass carp.
I figured it would inevitable that they would get into all of the Great Lakes. What would stop someone from planting carp into the lakes just to say they did it?
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,456
Default

Makes me nauseous. Figured it would happen. Took the feds forever even to react to the concern. Too busy pushing for windmills and battery production.
Stand By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,854
Default

The economical and environmental impact this will eventually have on the Great Lakes in unimaginable. Glad I'm old but I feel bad for the younger generations and the generations yet to come.
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Providing for grubers
Posts: 3,099
Default What to wear while boating on Lake Erie

Fine apparel coming to a location near you soon!!




SalmonDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 1,854
Default

Hey maybe we can take shot guns out on the water with us! Could be a bit dangerous though...

Not to get off of the subject but has anyone seen the you tube videos on snakeheads? They're in fresh water rivers on the east coast. Nasty busterds.
Walleye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paradise
Posts: 10,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonDaze View Post
Fine apparel coming to a location near you soon!!





Different slant on going fishing.
brockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paradise
Posts: 10,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stand By View Post
Makes me nauseous. Figured it would happen. Took the feds forever even to react to the concern. Too busy pushing for windmills and battery production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Guy View Post
The economical and environmental impact this will eventually have on the Great Lakes in unimaginable. Glad I'm old but I feel bad for the younger generations and the generations yet to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Guy View Post
Hey maybe we can take shot guns out on the water with us! Could be a bit dangerous though...

Not to get off of the subject but has anyone seen the you tube videos on snakeheads? They're in fresh water rivers on the east coast. Nasty busterds.

This bothers me to no end, as you say it took them long enough to react...the question now is how long is it going to take them to do something.

When they were just in Lake Mchigan, I'm sure there could have been something done to eradicate the damn flying fins, but now that they are in Eire & Ontario it's going to be much harder to do something.

Plus on top of everything else, there is the two governments who will argue as to who should be doing what and who should be paying for what.

And they'll have to set up various committees on both sides to determine what, who, how, when why, etc.

I'm in the 1000 Islands, but go to Lake Ontario pretty frequently and if we see one, that will end my wife's swimming and probably everybody she tells the exaggerated story to as time goes on.


Last edited by brockville; 02-17-2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
brockville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,456
Default

I don't know if the lakes thselves will be the real issue. Lakes being too deep to be of much use for them. I worry about them using the lakes to get to all the rivers and then pushing out the local fish and interfering with anadromous species trying to spawn.
Stand By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 392
Default

why don't we just eat them? They're a delicacy in China
offtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 PM   #11
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,255
Default

This is typical of the media to push more fake news down gullible gullets. The fact is that ODNR biologists have been tracking Asian grass carp in Lake Erie since 1984 or so. These are not the same carp that have descimated the Illinois River. Those are the Silver Carp and the Big Head Carp. These carp are filter feeders that suck up all the small plankton. Travis Hartman the Chief ODNR biologist spoke of this non epic infiltration of Asian Carp in the Sandusky river today at the South Shore walleye seminar today.
mkalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.