Notices

Water levels killing tourism

Old 03-05-2020, 08:12 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada & Marco Is, FL
Posts: 97
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Water levels killing tourism


.
Last year so many great places serving boaters we’re limping through what everyone hoped was the worst. One waterside restaurant (Craiganmore Point on Georgian Bay-Lake Huron) serving on a deck that was 5 inches under water. This picture was from the docks at Killarney. Look safe? I really fear for the welfare of all the places we love to visit every year if the water levels rise another 8 inches this year. And that’s nothing compared to the homes and property losses
Old 03-06-2020, 12:35 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 2,570
Received 872 Likes on 497 Posts
Default

It's really a problem for marinas with stationary docks for sure. I wonder if any marinas discounted dockage if they had this problem being the boat owners season was interrupted by the water levels (If I had to bet I'd say no). I trailer these days and didn't have too much of an issue at the ramps I used last season. Just wondering if this season will be worse at the ramps.

Being I've never had a boat that I had to use electric at any dock, is it a bit dangerous with the wires in the water like it shows in your picture? I would think not but you're not supposed to swim in marinas and walking through the water with those wires in the water makes me a bit concerned.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

Yes, it's dangerous. Last summer several local marina simply shut-off power to the docks.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I could be wrong but aren’t marinas with shore power supposed to have floating docks?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

Nope.
Likes:
Old 03-06-2020, 09:03 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada & Marco Is, FL
Posts: 97
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

It’s amazing how few regulations seem to apply.
the gas dock closest to me was barely above water last year. Can’t imagine what it’ll be like this year. Also marine supply store will be flooded this summer.
I really feel for anyone losing property(I lost a patio last fall - but not my house) but I also worry about all the seasonal businesses that make boating possible and/or fun.
anyone remember the “Stop the Drop” campaign?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:20 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 435
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

My boat is on Georgian Bay in a marina. Floating docks so that is not an issue, except last year the edges of the parking lot nearest the water were just starting to be under water. And this is the beach in front of our cottage. We have lost about 30 feet of properly this winter alone and another 40 ft over the past two years as water rose and wave action pounded away at the sand and dunes. For perspective, the waters edge is normally well to the right outside of the ice piles. That is west.


Old 03-07-2020, 12:16 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,829
Likes: 0
Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Creekwood View Post
My boat is on Georgian Bay in a marina. Floating docks so that is not an issue, except last year the edges of the parking lot nearest the water were just starting to be under water. And this is the beach in front of our cottage. We have lost about 30 feet of properly this winter alone and another 40 ft over the past two years as water rose and wave action pounded away at the sand and dunes. For perspective, the waters edge is normally well to the right outside of the ice piles. That is west.

Wow that is an angry shoreline.
I am curious, do you think the much greater tidal change as you get closer to the pole is why you are seeing this?

My waterfront in eastern MD has not changed at all in 35 years. I have almost 0 water so I am very aware of any changes.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:08 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada & Marco Is, FL
Posts: 97
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by muskrattown View Post
Wow that is an angry shoreline.
I am curious, do you think the much greater tidal change as you get closer to the pole is why you are seeing this?

My waterfront in eastern MD has not changed at all in 35 years. I have almost 0 water so I am very aware of any changes.
We’re talking Great Lakes here. There is no tide. And we’re not meaningfully closer to the pole. Although I did go snowmobiling today where I’ll be boating in July
Old 03-07-2020, 02:10 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

In MI it’s possible to go snowmobiling and boating on the same day.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:25 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 845
Received 934 Likes on 509 Posts
Default

Selling our lakefront cottage in Michigan because we don't want to deal with the high water issues.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:39 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 1,618
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Lakes Michigan and Huron, same lake as far as water levels, at their highest ever surpassing 1986.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,588
Received 296 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Won’t affect a thing on Erie. People will be coming from all over for the easy walleye pickings. Just more media scare tactics.
Likes:
Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

I'm afraid that's not true. It may not have a big impact to the guys that drop their fishing boat in at the ramp, run out to a reef and fish for a while, but they tend to participate less in tourism in the first place.

Marinas suffered last year, and it's looking like more suffering is ahead. We saw infrastructure costs as docks had to be built up, while transient boater traffic plummeted. Island businesses had a rough year last year, so they have every reason to be concerned now.

My pier was nearly 30% vacant last summer. There were many years that saw a wait list. Lots of boats that DID return sat largely unused until mid-season.

I'm wondering if our restaurant will even open. It flooded half a dozen times last year.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:02 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 845
Received 934 Likes on 509 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mkalink View Post
Won’t affect a thing on Erie. People will be coming from all over for the easy walleye pickings. Just more media scare tactics.
You're very uninformed.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,588
Received 296 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rickboat View Post
You're very uninformed.
You think so? Do you really think the high water will affect the the flow of money into The Walleye Capitol?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:44 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,588
Received 296 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
I'm afraid that's not true. It may not have a big impact to the guys that drop their fishing boat in at the ramp, run out to a reef and fish for a while, but they tend to participate less in tourism in the first place.

Marinas suffered last year, and it's looking like more suffering is ahead. We saw infrastructure costs as docks had to be built up, while transient boater traffic plummeted. Island businesses had a rough year last year, so they have every reason to be concerned now.

My pier was nearly 30% vacant last summer. There were many years that saw a wait list. Lots of boats that DID return sat largely unused until mid-season.

I'm wondering if our restaurant will even open. It flooded half a dozen times last year.

Not sure where you are docking but I have not witnessed anything that you say happening where I am at. Other than some sandbagging when the wind is blowing out or the north east and docks floating a little higher. All most all of the marinas in the Lakeside/Port Clinton areas are booming and turning people away. New marinas are being built and some of the old are enlarging and modernizing. I’m not denying the water level has risen, but it is not quite the crisis the media and the chicken littles are making it out to be.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:17 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

Where I dock is a secret code. No-one will ever figure it out.

Of Cedar Point's 12 floating piers, 11 of them had flooded entrances for the entire spring and into summer. The only one the didn't flood was the only one at capacity last year - no coincidence I assure you. The fuel pier, office, store and Famous Dave's flooded and had to be closed repeatedly. All sections of the gated parking lot flooded. Transient boating traffic was scarce.

Battery Park had to close more than half of Meigs pier for the ENTIRE season.

Seaway flooded repeatedly and their new docks became unstable. UMYC suffered severe damage. The Casino wasn't allowing dockage on the east and south walls. Portside suffered erosion and often couldn't dock boats on their crib. At PIB PPBC did pretty well, with only their small fixed docks flooding, but the new public piers spent the first half of the season underwater.

The Crew's Nest sent all members a letter begging us to visit and eat at the restaurant because dockage and revenues were so low.

Vermilion was a MESS.

The marinas you say are booming are doing so because of the ones that are struggling! Want to rent a dock at Cedar Point? Buy some waders and a 4x4 so you can make it through the parking lot and take your pick of docks. We have piers with literally DOZENS of open wells.
Likes:
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 14
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

is this from increased rain without enough rivers to drain?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:27 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,373
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,629 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by greylion View Post
Lakes Michigan and Huron, same lake as far as water levels, at their highest ever surpassing 1986.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missi...-Water-Levels/
And yet, just a couple years ago (and since the high water in 1986) folks were screaming that those same lakes were "drying up" because of the low water levels!!!
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.