Notices

Another Boating Question

Old 03-03-2020, 01:52 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Another Boating Question

Is Lake Erie to Lake Michigan navigable to pleasure boats right now?

If not, when could I reasonably expect them to be?

I have a friend up there looking at a boat tomorrow in Marblehead, OH, and if he buys it, he’ll want me to bring it South via the rivers. Problem is, my plate is full from May 1 until at least the second week in June. Then we have the Illinois closure beginning July 1. Not sure how long the survey process would take, but I’m just trying to get an idea if a late March departure would be feasible. 53MY Hatteras, so at least I’ll have a heated pilothouse. I’m guessing wind/waves could and probably would be brutal. The other obvious concern would be ice.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-03-2020, 02:34 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,300
Likes: 0
Received 330 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

End of March might be a little iffy especially going through the straits of Mackinaw. Not sure when the icebreakers open things up for shipping but the CG probably has that info online. Meanwhile the ice coverage maps are here: https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/#currentConditions . I don’t see many pleasure craft out on the lake much before mid April and even then it is usually just the storage places moving things back to the marinas. Weather in the northern part of your route can be ugly well into April, that being said it has been a weirdly mild winter this year.
Likes:
Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by txj33p View Post
End of March might be a little iffy especially going through the straits of Mackinaw. Not sure when the icebreakers open things up for shipping but the CG probably has that info online. Meanwhile the ice coverage maps are here: https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/#currentConditions . I donít see many pleasure craft out on the lake much before mid April and even then it is usually just the storage places moving things back to the marinas. Weather in the northern part of your route can be ugly well into April, that being said it has been a weirdly mild winter this year.
Thanks for your input. Guess weíll just have to wait and see. Iíll know tomorrow if this boat measures up, but this moving issue may affect his purchase decision. I donít think the boat has been used much recently, and it would absolutely suck if we had some sort of problem moving it in June. It would be stuck above the Illinois until after October 29th when the river reopens.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 PM
  #4  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 645
Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Where is the boat now? Just bring it up the river and park it on MI till may. Going around the top this time of year is no bueno. Even Erie can be brutal with freezing spray in an April cold snap. Have pics from tournament walleye fishing to prove it!
Old 03-04-2020, 07:24 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Just heard from my friend, and the boat is a POS. Broker (who lives in Florida) said she hadn’t seen the boat in four years. At least it sounds like she’s stepping up and covering his expenses for the wasted trip, so I have to commend her for that. She even flew up to show him the boat.

The search continues.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:49 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

Bummer. I wonder if he's looked at the 1975 currently listed in Harbor Springs Mich. (NW area of the lower peninsula)

She's currently named Mojo, previously Transit. She was in our marina for a long time as Transit. The owner back then kept her in immaculate condition, including a full repaint in navy / silver.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
Bummer. I wonder if he's looked at the 1975 currently listed in Harbor Springs Mich. (NW area of the lower peninsula)

She's currently named Mojo, previously Transit. She was in our marina for a long time as Transit. The owner back then kept her in immaculate condition, including a full repaint in navy / silver.
If itís on Yachtworld, Iíve seen the listing. His budget ($120K) keeps him out of range for most of the nicer ones, but some are just unrealistically priced.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:08 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

It's under $130k I think - she just showed-up on my feed about a week ago, so it may be a new listing. I can't imagine anyone not being intrigued by the photos. It looks like the current owners have been caring for her like the original guy did. Maybe make sure he's done a recent search?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:10 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 984
Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...yacht-3498642/
Old 03-04-2020, 09:24 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
I had seen that listing, but I donít think it was priced at that then. As best I remember, someone on the HOF commented about having looked at it, and it had issues. Might be worth checking into, but then Iím back to getting it to the Gulf coast.

I found a nice one thatís not on the market. Long story, but the owner isnít a US citizen and wonít be back until mid-April or so. Itís in Florida, so my buddy may just have to wait. Their boat burned in December, and they were liveaboards. Theyíre trying to find something quick.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:46 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,300
Likes: 0
Received 330 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

Freebird, check your pm's
Likes:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:38 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Got it. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:48 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,475
Received 944 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
Bummer. I wonder if he's looked at the 1975 currently listed in Harbor Springs Mich. (NW area of the lower peninsula)

She's currently named Mojo, previously Transit. She was in our marina for a long time as Transit. The owner back then kept her in immaculate condition, including a full repaint in navy / silver.
Just updating this thread. I negotiated a deal on that boat for my friends, and it's being surveyed as we speak. Hull survey will be finished today, but it's still a bit up in the air as to when they can splash the boat for a sea trial and engine survey. Even more up in the air is when I'll be moving this thing south. Neither of us have seen the boat in person, so it's a bit of a different deal, thanks to all this virus mess. They will drive up when the boat is ready to splash, and the plan at this point is that they will live on it until such time I can move it south.

That 60MY Hatteras delivery is still on beginning the first week of May, but given The Welland is closed to pleasure boats until further notice, we may end up having to run up the river system. If we are able to keep the original plan of running up the east coast and across the Lakes, I'll jump ship in Cheboygan where this boat is located, and the owner will take it on to Racine while I take this one to Kentucky. My friends who bought it can take it from there to Biloxi. If we run the 60 up the river, I'll just have to figure out the best way to get to Cheboygan from there. This sure is a crazy time to be doing this, but it just is what it is.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.