Notices
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ChrisW21
  • 1 Post By dons2346
  • 1 Post By savedbygrace6868
  • 1 Post By Mark Y

Calamari

Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,361
Default Calamari

My wife and I love it and always order it if it's on the menu at a restaurant. We've eaten it at restaurants from the east coast to the west coast and Hawaii. I just haven't had much success cooking it. Any suggestions, good recipes?
FishLife is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 1,133
Default

Recipe options are practically endless, as calamari takes on most flavors well. Scampi, pesto, tomato, fried, chowder, Mediterranean style, etc. They're all good if cooked right.

And cooking is the key. Either hot and fast like 30 seconds to 2 minutes (break out the wok), or slow and low like a braise for 30 minutes or longer. Anything in between and you get rubber bands.
Mark Y likes this.
ChrisW21 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:05 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,126
Default

Always been a fan of stuffing it and grilling it.
TorFed is online now  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:34 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 244
Default

Cook in like razor clams. Dust with seasoned flour and into hot oil for 30 seconds, flip for another 30 seconds and you are done. More than that it is tough and tastes treeible.
Mark Y likes this.
dons2346 is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 05:00 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Down the bayou, south Louisiana
Posts: 208
Default

Routeed Calamari

Clean calamari and slice into rings. Put rings and tentacles in a heavy pot with a little water to boil until almost tender and no more water in pot. Add a chopped onion, Tony’s Chacherie’s and 4 tablespoons of salted butter and cook till tender. Eat over rice.
Mark Y likes this.
savedbygrace6868 is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pismo Beach, Ca.
Posts: 3,826
Default

Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Cook in like razor clams. Dust with seasoned flour and into hot oil for 30 seconds, flip for another 30 seconds and you are done. More than that it is tough and tastes treeible.
This. Don't over think it. Hot and fast or it could end up like chewing rubber.
Mark Y is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pismo Beach, Ca.
Posts: 3,826
Default

Originally Posted by savedbygrace6868 View Post
Routeed Calamari

Clean calamari and slice into rings. Put rings and tentacles in a heavy pot with a little water to boil until almost tender and no more water in pot. Add a chopped onion, Tony’s Chacherie’s and 4 tablespoons of salted butter and cook till tender. Eat over rice.
Never heard of this, may need to give it a go, thank you.
savedbygrace6868 likes this.
Mark Y is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,361
Default

Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Cook in like razor clams. Dust with seasoned flour and into hot oil for 30 seconds, flip for another 30 seconds and you are done. More than that it is tough and tastes treeible.
Originally Posted by Mark Y View Post
This. Don't over think it. Hot and fast or it could end up like chewing rubber.
You seem to be referring to pan-frying, how about deep frying or sauteing? What would be best? I'm just trying to duplicate a plate of it we had at a restaurant in downtown Seattle a couple of years ago. Absolutely the best we've ever eaten, I just can't remember the name of the restaurant.
FishLife is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 04:19 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 6,335
Default

Calamari rings are typically deep fried quickly and simply served with a cocktail dip and some hot pepper slices , or deep fried then tossed with an olive oil sauté with pepper rings, or calamari olives or both. The latter is my favorite. The coating gets a little gooey with the olive oil, a little punch from the hot peppers and the olives are good as well.
BACKTOTHESEA is online now  
Old 03-18-2019, 03:44 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 6
Default

Calamari rings are nice and fried
I love calamari just simple with salt and pepper and a nice glass of wine
rammy is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,361
Default

Originally Posted by BACKTOTHESEA View Post
Calamari rings are typically deep fried quickly and simply served with a cocktail dip and some hot pepper slices , or deep fried then tossed with an olive oil sauté with pepper rings, or calamari olives or both. The latter is my favorite. The coating gets a little gooey with the olive oil, a little punch from the hot peppers and the olives are good as well.
This might just be the ticket. Ones we've liked the best always have the pepper rings and Kalamata olives (which are my favorite olive), but I haven't tried tossing the calamari with sauteed peppers and olives.*
FishLife is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Down the bayou, south Louisiana
Posts: 208
Default

Restaurants here serve the deep fried tossed in a mixture of sweet Thai chili sauce, mayo and Sriracha sauce. Also known as Bang Bang sauce.
savedbygrace6868 is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread