Notices
Like Tree33Likes

Choice of meat cut

Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 PM
  #1  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,498
Default Choice of meat cut

LOL for you sick %^^*.
Wife likes filets. So our local butcher shop (if there really is such a thing anymore) carries bacon wrapped filets, they are really cow fillets. Many times they have a funny taste, almost like a liver taste. I have tried all the local different places and still find the same results. Now I know enough to pat the blood off way before, but we still get this 75% of the time.

The bacon wrapped cow filets are $ 8.99 each. The Grand Steer fillets are $28 buck a pound and are never bloody. So for $28 bucks you get two nice sized fillets, night and day difference. We have been doing the steer fillets in a cast iron pan on the grill or stove top with garlic herb butter and finishing in the oven at 415 degrees, and they are to die for.
Now I know this is THT and most will say DUH we only eat steer, the truth is for the few extra buck it is a no-brainer. What are your opinions?
mikeloew is online now  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:56 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,132
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
LOL for you sick %^^*.
Wife likes filets. So our local butcher shop (if there really is such a thing anymore) carries bacon wrapped filets, they are really cow fillets. Many times they have a funny taste, almost like a liver taste. I have tried all the local different places and still find the same results. Now I know enough to pat the blood off way before, but we still get this 75% of the time.

The bacon wrapped cow filets are $ 8.99 each. The Grand Steer fillets are $28 buck a pound and are never bloody. So for $28 bucks you get two nice sized fillets, night and day difference. We have been doing the steer fillets in a cast iron pan on the grill or stove top with garlic herb butter and finishing in the oven at 415 degrees, and they are to die for.
Now I know this is THT and most will say DUH we only eat steer, the truth is for the few extra buck it is a no-brainer. What are your opinions?
My opinion is if you need bacon on a cut of beef then the cut of beef isn’t worth eating. The facts are there are Prime, choice and select grades of meat..... there are not “black angus” “steer” grades etc, I’m not sure where that shit even came from except to catch a consumers attention. I do not eat select beef grade, upper choice for the most part and maybe 3 to 4 times a year I’ll get a real Prime grade which is hard to find and expensive. Prime and dry aged. The dry aged doesn’t bleed as you described the better filet. Personally, I do not like filets but that’s a preference obviously, I like beefy beef flavor.
FishLife and TorFed like this.
llord is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
LOL for you sick %^^*.
Well at this time I might be.......but I'm hoping to improve.

There is mush I want to say.....let's say cow meat doesnt' taste like liver blood or no blbood.
Garett is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:02 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 124
Default

That liver taste would make me question freshness
Domoe is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:14 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Give me a strip or ribeye. Minimum of 1” thick, preferably 1 1/2. 250 degree oven/grill until it hits 118. Rest 10-12 min, then sear the living hell out of it in cast iron.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:15 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,781
Default

Local IGA(independent grocer association) carries everything from ungraded ( old milk cow) to waygu.

I never buy ungraded or select no matter what the price.

Angus beef means virtually nothing and is just a marketing term promoted via the beef council

Walleye Guy likes this.
Boataholic is online now  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:20 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,909
Default

Bacon is a way for them to charge an extra $1-3/lb
fjmaverick is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,132
Default

Originally Posted by Boataholic View Post
Local IGA(independent grocer association) carries everything from ungraded ( old milk cow) to waygu.

I never buy ungraded or select no matter what the price.

Angus beef means virtually nothing and is just a marketing term promoted via the beef council
An IGA carries Waygu??? Now you a talking.... that stuffs Prime grade X 10! Melts like butta
llord is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,238
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Give me a strip or ribeye. Minimum of 1” thick, preferably 1 1/2. 250 degree oven/grill until it hits 118. Rest 10-12 min, then sear the living hell out of it in cast iron.
Nailed it
SpearoFI likes this.
Avid 24 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: MD
Posts: 184
Default

Lighten up some of you guys.Everything taste better with bacon.
Krisdag8 likes this.
greenjeepcherokee is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Avid 24 View Post

Nailed it
left out, if you have a ribeye with a good fat edge, sear that first. The rendered beef fat makes for great searing fat for the rest of the steak. Add some clarified butter if you wish.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,132
Default

Originally Posted by greenjeepcherokee View Post
Lighten up some of you guys.Everything taste better with bacon.
At 20 to 35$ a lb for good cuts I’ll skip the bacon.... I love bacon but a good ribeye or strip is fatty enough
llord is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 1,444
Default

I think I learned something recently and would like to clarify with all of you.

Is it true that good steaks only come from males (steer)?

Why?
mikeloew likes this.
ChrisW21 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,205
Default

Ribeye / Delmonico - this was todays lunch, from a local butcher shop (Bowen's grocery)


Finsinchessy likes this.
Tawn is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,217
Default

Ribeye is favorite day in day out. Wife likes porterhouse. Like to pick up a smaller tenderloin once in a while. Really don't get steak much anymore. Either quality went down or my taste got more particular.
raystein is online now  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,397
Default

Give me a slightly warm porterhouse and I'm golden.
Lookinup76 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,909
Default

Originally Posted by raystein View Post
Ribeye is favorite day in day out. Wife likes porterhouse. Like to pick up a smaller tenderloin once in a while. Really don't get steak much anymore. Either quality went down or my taste got more particular.
​​​​​​Porterhouses work well for us. I eat the strip she eats the filet. Have to find one with a nice size filet on it.
dmartin and inriver like this.
fjmaverick is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,217
Default

Steer or heifer. Steers have more muscle mass.
ChrisW21 likes this.
raystein is online now  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:52 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,877
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Give me a strip or ribeye. Minimum of 1” thick, preferably 1 1/2. 250 degree oven/grill until it hits 118. Rest 10-12 min, then sear the living hell out of it in cast iron.
Insteat of using a cast iron skillet get your char hole starter going with lump charcoal, wait until it looks like a jet engine and put a grill grate over it. Let it heat up then sear the crap out of it. I got a chimney starter at Lowe’s big enough for two steaks for $16 the other day at Lowes

Other two methods l I like is put the chimney on top of the steak and use it as a broiler or just get the lump charchole hot has hell dump out and put steak on top of Chile’s for 2 min a side. This works best with flank steak.








Lorne Greene is online now  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,132
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post


Insteat of using a cast iron skillet get your char hole starter going with lump charcoal, wait until it looks like a jet engine and put a grill grate over it. Let it heat up then sear the crap out of it. I got a chimney starter at Lowe’s big enough for two steaks for $16 the other day at Lowes

Other two methods l I like is put the chimney on top of the steak and use it as a broiler or just get the lump charchole hot has hell dump out and put steak on top of Chile’s for 2 min a side. This works best with flank steak.








I thought that was my secret trick..... I use my charcoal starter as my grill for steaks..... jus lay a grate on top and it’s perfect
llord is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread