Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Cleaning Komado (BGE) Grill

Reply

Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Do you know what a kick ash basket is? There is a real question as to whether or not it is worth $100, but there is no question that it absolutely works different than an ash grate. I have one of those, and it does nothing to help separate ash from good lump.
I've seen them, and don't see the value proposition. Sorry.
glc203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 PM
  #22  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 7,807
Default

Originally Posted by glc203 View Post
I've seen them, and don't see the value proposition. Sorry.
you don’t see any value in being able to lift out all of the unburned coals at once?
autobaun70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:49 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,085
Default

Originally Posted by glc203 View Post
I've seen them, and don't see the value proposition. Sorry.
Hey, fair enough. If that isn't something you like, that's a-ok!
MattGoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SE NC
Posts: 11,064
Default

Originally Posted by glc203 View Post
I've seen them, and don't see the value proposition. Sorry.
what ?
back at it is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post


you don’t see any value in being able to lift out all of the unburned coals at once?
Not at that price point, no.
glc203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by back at it View Post

what ?
I said, "I'VE SEEN THEM, AND DON'T SEE THE VALUE PROPOSITION. SORRY."
MattGoose likes this.
glc203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:03 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,085
Default

Originally Posted by glc203 View Post
Not at that price point, no.
Interesting.

Do you have any tips or tricks for cleaning the lump? Just move it all around until the ash falls down?
MattGoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Interesting.

Do you have any tips or tricks for cleaning the lump? Just move it all around until the ash falls down?
I've been happy using that metal grate handle that BGE has. Seems to do the job.
glc203 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,332
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Interesting.

Do you have any tips or tricks for cleaning the lump? Just move it all around until the ash falls down?
That's what I do. Use my ash scraper or whatever it is and stir it up, lil darlin'

Seems to work OK, but some of the smaller chunks do tend to clog the OEM grate. Buddy tells me I need a cast iron one as it let's more air through. I'm kind of on the fence re: Kick Ash Basket, too.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,085
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
That's what I do. Use my ash scraper or whatever it is and stir it up, lil darlin'

Seems to work OK, but some of the smaller chunks do tend to clog the OEM grate. Buddy tells me I need a cast iron one as it let's more air through. I'm kind of on the fence re: Kick Ash Basket, too.
I thought you were calling me lil darlin and started to get all wound up

Then I realized we all need a little more Bob Marley in our lives, literally and figuratively.

The more I think about it, the ash shaking part is pretty cool - but the airflow improvement might be just as big a benefit. Birthday is coming up, so I'm not allowed to buy anything new for a few weeks
MattGoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,332
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
I thought you were calling me lil darlin and started to get all wound up

Then I realized we all need a little more Bob Marley in our lives, literally and figuratively.

The more I think about it, the ash shaking part is pretty cool - but the airflow improvement might be just as big a benefit. Birthday is coming up, so I'm not allowed to buy anything new for a few weeks
lol...not too sure why that popped in my head.

The other thing that I think was mentioned here about the KA Basket is it doesn't hold as much lump for a long cook. I could be making that part up, but do seem to remember that being brought up. When I empty the ash from the bottom, I scrape out ash (after stirring the coals around) on a paper plate and dump over my fence into the woods or in my gardens that have no soil or plants growing in them and hope my dog doesn't go trouncing around in them...lol. For airflow, check out the cast iron grates. Buddy swears by his for getting super high temps for searing steaks, etc.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,085
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
lol...not too sure why that popped in my head.

The other thing that I think was mentioned here about the KA Basket is it doesn't hold as much lump for a long cook. I could be making that part up, but do seem to remember that being brought up. When I empty the ash from the bottom, I scrape out ash (after stirring the coals around) on a paper plate and dump over my fence into the woods or in my gardens that have no soil or plants growing in them and hope my dog doesn't go trouncing around in them...lol. For airflow, check out the cast iron grates. Buddy swears by his for getting super high temps for searing steaks, etc.
If you look at the KA in an egg, I'm not sure how it could be the limiting factor for lump capacity. There is no reason I can think of that you can't pile over the top of it - it hugs the borders of the fire pit pretty well.

I'm not aware of any alternatives for the piece of metal that sits at the bottom of the fire box..... I don't even know what it is called to try and google it

Most of the time people refer to cast iron grates, they are talking about replacing the stainless steel grates that you cook on. Cast iron having a higher heat capacity, the thinking is they give a better sear. There is some debate on that - they also take longer to heat, so they don't recover as fast so can't keep searing so to speak. I have cast iron grates on my Weber Q and stainless on my Weber Kettle and the KJ and I really don't notice much of a difference one way or the other.
MattGoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:27 PM
  #33  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,332
Default

Lump grate is what I've heard them called. I'm not sure which one buddy has, though, but I think his may look like a cooking grate, just thicker metal and small enough to fit down under the lump.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 PM
  #34  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 7,807
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
If you look at the KA in an egg, I'm not sure how it could be the limiting factor for lump capacity. There is no reason I can think of that you can't pile over the top of it - it hugs the borders of the fire pit pretty well.

I'm not aware of any alternatives for the piece of metal that sits at the bottom of the fire box..... I don't even know what it is called to try and google it

Most of the time people refer to cast iron grates, they are talking about replacing the stainless steel grates that you cook on. Cast iron having a higher heat capacity, the thinking is they give a better sear. There is some debate on that - they also take longer to heat, so they don't recover as fast so can't keep searing so to speak. I have cast iron grates on my Weber Q and stainless on my Weber Kettle and the KJ and I really don't notice much of a difference one way or the other.
They definitely don't jack up the lump capacity. At christmas I ran the large BGE for nearly 24 hours straight on a load in a Kick Ash Basket.
autobaun70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:46 PM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,332
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
They definitely don't jack up the lump capacity. At christmas I ran the large BGE for nearly 24 hours straight on a load in a Kick Ash Basket.
Good to know. I never run 24 hours (haven't yet) so shouldn't be a problem for me.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: