Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BONUS FORUMS > Food and Beverage
Reload this Page >

Treager Grills - ditching the smoker and egg

Notices

Treager Grills - ditching the smoker and egg

Old 05-08-2020, 06:32 AM
  #41  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 390
Received 186 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

Bought the Traeger 780 Pro.

Grilled some porterhouse steaks the other night. Turned out tender and juicy. Didn't care much for the sauce I used but that was part of the experiment.

Plan to cook some grouper filets this weekend.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 AM
  #42  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: VA
Posts: 96
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Charcoal pellets. Pit Boss. Walmart. Boom!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM
  #43  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 5,046
Received 616 Likes on 316 Posts
Default

So I have had my Traeger for a few years now and it has been great but its time for a change. I picked up a Recteq Bullseye a few months ago and the ability to smoke and sear all the way up to 750 degrees is a game changer. I havent fired up the egg or the Wilmington in months.

With that said, I am going to sell the Traeger at the beach and get a Recteq 700 to replace it. It will apparently do an honest 500 degrees which will be ideal but the increased cooking area over the Bullseye is ideal.

I have been clearing out the auger tube on my Traeger since new to avoid the pellets swelling up and jamming. Apparently, it is more prone to happen with the Traeger brand pellets. Not having a door on the hopper to empty is not ideal but I am hoping that with different pellets, this will be remedied and I can leave it loaded.

Likes:
Old 03-30-2021, 04:37 PM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: New York
Posts: 176
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile

Love dry rub ribs.
Smoked striper filets.With the extra smoked filets made fish cakes incredible.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:00 AM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 788
Received 581 Likes on 297 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ytmorris View Post
So I have had my Traeger for a few years now and it has been great but its time for a change. I picked up a Recteq Bullseye a few months ago and the ability to smoke and sear all the way up to 750 degrees is a game changer. I havent fired up the egg or the Wilmington in months.

With that said, I am going to sell the Traeger at the beach and get a Recteq 700 to replace it. It will apparently do an honest 500 degrees which will be ideal but the increased cooking area over the Bullseye is ideal.

I have been clearing out the auger tube on my Traeger since new to avoid the pellets swelling up and jamming. Apparently, it is more prone to happen with the Traeger brand pellets. Not having a door on the hopper to empty is not ideal but I am hoping that with different pellets, this will be remedied and I can leave it loaded.
Had my 700 for over a year and never an issue with pellets. I use the cheap ones from Sam's. I've gotten mine to 600.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:00 AM
  #46  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bluffton, SC
Posts: 3,298
Received 238 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ytmorris View Post
So I have had my Traeger for a few years now and it has been great but its time for a change. I picked up a Recteq Bullseye a few months ago and the ability to smoke and sear all the way up to 750 degrees is a game changer. I havent fired up the egg or the Wilmington in months.

With that said, I am going to sell the Traeger at the beach and get a Recteq 700 to replace it. It will apparently do an honest 500 degrees which will be ideal but the increased cooking area over the Bullseye is ideal.

I have been clearing out the auger tube on my Traeger since new to avoid the pellets swelling up and jamming. Apparently, it is more prone to happen with the Traeger brand pellets. Not having a door on the hopper to empty is not ideal but I am hoping that with different pellets, this will be remedied and I can leave it loaded.
So aside from the Bullseye being smaller than some of the other Recteq grills, what is it lacking- just WiFi controls? Seems like this could replace a traditional grill and still be a great smoker. I think I would trade WiFi controls for high temp grilling capability.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:47 PM
  #47  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 5,046
Received 616 Likes on 316 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tuna Colada View Post
So aside from the Bullseye being smaller than some of the other Recteq grills, what is it lacking- just WiFi controls? Seems like this could replace a traditional grill and still be a great smoker. I think I would trade WiFi controls for high temp grilling capability.

I have been told it just isn’t quite as efficient as a smoker although it does well. I also don’t like the fact that there is no drip tray or collection, as in a bucket. It needs heat to burn off the drippings or you can run a pan under the food. Burgers on the Bullseye are rough. Caught mine on fire. That is the only thing that I have found that presents problems though.

I am ok without Wifi, but it will be nice to have.

I also want the size. When we get the entire family down, I need a lot of cooking surface.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:56 PM
  #48  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Love mine. Bought the Traeger pro 34 in 2016. Unless we are gone it runs multiple times a week and has since I bought it. When our gas grill rusted out I never replaced it.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:34 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,276
Received 433 Likes on 245 Posts
Default

ive been wanting a pellet grill to get rid of my vision but every time i use the vision i realize its not that bad. i can usualy set it and forget it but every once in a while it does go off in a differnt direction. thinking about getting the small green mountain but i would like the ability to smoke without having to worry about power. here are some ribs from last weekend the red is the chinese seasoning. pulled pork from the weekend before. the pellet grills are easier for sure but is the fishing product the same or better then the egg?


Likes:
Old 04-05-2021, 12:27 PM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: S.W. Fl
Posts: 128
Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Default

I'll go against the grain on that pellet grills are the best. Pellet grills are ok at smoking and ok at grilling but aren't great at either. The "smoke" flavor off of a pellet grill is weak IMO compared to charcoal and real wood chunks. I wish I had bought a Kamado Joe II or III with a I-Kammand controller instead of my pellet grill. Maybe one day I'll pony up the money for one.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:30 AM
  #51  
MC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: pompano Beach FL
Posts: 1,885
Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BST24351 View Post
ive been wanting a pellet grill to get rid of my vision but every time i use the vision i realize its not that bad. i can usualy set it and forget it but every once in a while it does go off in a differnt direction. thinking about getting the small green mountain but i would like the ability to smoke without having to worry about power. here are some ribs from last weekend the red is the chinese seasoning. pulled pork from the weekend before. the pellet grills are easier for sure but is the fishing product the same or better then the egg?


grab one of the pittboss table top pellet grills/smokers. we use the heck out of ours

I have an old school Big Steel Keg that we still use, but only for large cooks ( turkeys, lots of fish to smoke for smoked fish dip, several racks of ribs). the pit boss takes care of most our day-to-day grilling/smoking for a smaller family- last Friday did a large standing rib roast for the family and it was super easy on the pit boss.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pi...ill/5001563921

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.