Notices
Like Tree34Likes

Sous Vide Ribeye Steaks

Old 08-09-2019, 02:02 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,357
Default Sous Vide Ribeye Steaks

Finally bought one! Planning on cooking some nice rib eyes Saturday an I need some help.
My Wife likes medium and I like medium rare. How do you manage cooking these different levels of done ness?
Do you cook both to medium rare then change the settings to cook one to medium?
What is your formula?
Lprizman likes this.
marlinpruett is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,382
Default

Sous vide to medium rare and then leave hers on a bit longer. Same in our house...I'm a rare guy and wife and kids like more medium rare.

I like to let them rest a good bit also before taking them to the flame. Also think about whether you are going straight to the flame or to an iron skillet on the flame. Both are awesome.

Also, not sure of the flavors yall like but a patty of butter and some fresh herbs in the bag before you vacuum seal it is great.
Lprizman, DrumBeat and WeeKilt like this.
freedbaby is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,357
Default

How long do you continue to cook the med one?
Do you change any setting when you take the med rare one off? Which herbs do you recommend? We like garlic
Lprizman likes this.
marlinpruett is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:21 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston/Sargent, Texas
Posts: 5,382
Default

Originally Posted by marlinpruett View Post
How long do you continue to cook the med one?
Do you change any setting when you take the med rare one off? Which herbs do you recommend? We like garlic
Not sure what youre cooking on, that will make a difference but I cook on a Kamado Joe, usually around 450-500 for searing a steak. At that temp, no more than an extra minute or minute in a half should do it. You can always toss it back on for a second if under cooked...obviously can't undo "too done"

Herbs: a little butter, a little fresh garlic and a bit of fresh rosemary and maybe some shallots. Vacuum seal and go to town.
Lprizman likes this.
freedbaby is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:23 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 192
Default

Extensive discussion in food section. Too much trouble for me.
Lprizman likes this.
REMfish7 is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 5,843
Default

How thick?
did you buy a practice one???
Never heard of that specific kind....love Ribeyes....fat equals flavor as does bone in cuts.
Marinade it or straight to the grill with a little salt and pepper and light evoo?
Lprizman is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:31 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,308
Default

You start one 2 minutes before the other. Then they are both done at the same time
Lprizman likes this.
fireisland1 is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:32 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 5,843
Default

This^^^^^
but you need to tell him how long each side....hence my thickness question
Grill? Cast iron pan?? Smoking??
Lprizman is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,726
Default

Two options. Start hers first in the water bath at about 10 degrees higher than yours. Give it 45 min. Drop temp and add yours straight from the fridge, along with a few ice cubes. Or take it longer during the sear stage. The latter works fine for 1Ē or so steaks. For super thick steaks, I prefer the hotter bath then drop the temp, and add the other steak(s). Keeps the crust the proper thickness.

herbs and garlic and butter in bag. A small pat of garlic butter on top after the sear is also nice, and letís you get nice fresh garlic/herb flavor without the heat from the sear effecting it.

When you come out of the water bath, dry the steaks well, and rest for about 10 min. That lets them sear instead of steam. Sprinkle of kosher salt and, and if going in a pan a touch of oil on the first side. Do the second side once itís in the pan. If the ribeyes have a nice fat cap to them, sear it first. That fat renders nicely for flavor/oil in the pan. If you donít have a good hood, do this outside on a turkey fryer burner.

edit to add. Pretty sure Tateís has a special on prime ribeyes currently, if you havenít already purchased.
Lprizman likes this.

Last edited by autobaun70; 08-09-2019 at 02:41 PM.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:36 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,357
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
This^^^^^
but you need to tell him how long each side....hence my thickness question
Grill? Cast iron pan?? Smoking??
Sous Vide. Look it up.
Lprizman likes this.
marlinpruett is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:38 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,809
Default

It's French for "boil in a bag"
cphilip is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:43 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Moultrie, GA, & Beacon Hill, FL
Posts: 510
Default

I'm cooking some tonight! My wife also likes hers more medium than my medium rare. I leave hers on the grill another minute on the flip side and pull mine off to rest earlier. I sous vide at 125* for 2-3 hours, then get the gas grill hot, really hot. 650*+. About 2 minutes, turn 90*, then flip for another 2.
These are @1-3/4" steaks, less if thinner.... I love a good char! A good thermometer is very handy as well. Good luck and take pics of your masterpiece.
skillet64 is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:56 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
slper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 4,189
Default

I like the texture of a reverse seared steak on the grill and a cast iron plate.
jcbcpa likes this.
slper is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:06 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,293
Default

Nope....Nope....and Hell NO! Not going to ruin the best tasting steak or ANY meat, poultry, or fish on the planet by boiling it in water............Should be a capital offense!!!

God gave us Fire for a reason.........to cook!!!!!
God gave us water for a reason......to drink!!! oh...and have beaches so we can see hot chicks in thongs!!!!
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:07 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,293
Default

Originally Posted by slper View Post
I like the texture of a reverse seared steak on the grill and a cast iron plate.


Yes sir ree baby!!!!

Boiling a steak......Crazy talk!!!
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:12 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 822
Default

Originally Posted by marlinpruett View Post
Sous Vide. Look it up.
you may want to look it up. Sous vide is only to get it to temperature then you need to finish it in a grill or a pan I just ate sous vide rib eye now I'm sitting on the couch reading tht with a full belly.

Bring them both to the same temperature via sous vide then when searing leave one on a little longer

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Nope....Nope....and Hell NO! Not going to ruin the best tasting steak or ANY meat, poultry, or fish on the planet by boiling it in water............Should be a capital offense!!!

God gave us Fire for a reason.........to cook!!!!!
God gave us water for a reason......to drink!!! oh...and have beaches so we can see hot chicks in thongs!!!!
Never touches the water it's in a sealed bag and cooked in the seasonings and fat that renders off. Then you sear it
BST24351 is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:15 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 5,843
Default

Not crazy....I mentioned it before....seen a Australian guy do it...looks different but says it is awesome!!!
he didn't call it by this name either as I recall..
anyhoo!
yet to try it myself....kinda like going to England and driving on the other side of the road...to us

post pics and results in the food and beverage forum please!
hope it comes out great!!
Lprizman is offline  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:23 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,878
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Two options. Start hers first in the water bath at about 10 degrees higher than yours. Give it 45 min. Drop temp and add yours straight from the fridge, along with a few ice cubes. Or take it longer during the sear stage. The latter works fine for 1Ē or so steaks. For super thick steaks, I prefer the hotter bath then drop the temp, and add the other steak(s). Keeps the crust the proper thickness.

herbs and garlic and butter in bag. A small pat of garlic butter on top after the sear is also nice, and letís you get nice fresh garlic/herb flavor without the heat from the sear effecting it.

When you come out of the water bath, dry the steaks well, and rest for about 10 min. That lets them sear instead of steam. Sprinkle of kosher salt and, and if going in a pan a touch of oil on the first side. Do the second side once itís in the pan. If the ribeyes have a nice fat cap to them, sear it first. That fat renders nicely for flavor/oil in the pan. If you donít have a good hood, do this outside on a turkey fryer burner.

edit to add. Pretty sure Tateís has a special on prime ribeyes currently, if you havenít already purchased.

^^^^^ this!
Lprizman likes this.
Boataholic is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 6,497
Default

I prefer a good ribeye cooked conventionally on a hot grill to medium. Was never a fan of raw fat. And yes, I also sous vide when it makes sense.
BACKTOTHESEA is online now  
Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,133
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Nope....Nope....and Hell NO! Not going to ruin the best tasting steak or ANY meat, poultry, or fish on the planet by boiling it in water............Should be a capital offense!!!

God gave us Fire for a reason.........to cook!!!!!
God gave us water for a reason......to drink!!! oh...and have beaches so we can see hot chicks in thongs!!!!
It's not boiling water, and even if it was the product never touches the water.

Qb1rdman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread