Notices
Like Tree7Likes

Miami to bimini on 22ft capehorn

Old 02-10-2019, 02:28 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 50
Default Miami to bimini on 22ft capehorn

Iím looking for the best weather forecast site to judge a good day to take my capehorn to bimini from either ft lauderdale or Miami. Never made the crossing before and would be towing the boat from jax. It has 128 gallon fuel tank and a Ď17 Suzuki 300 range is no issue, my only concern is rough seas in the stream.. not a place I would want to be when and if the weather kicked up. Any tips? And whatís the best place to watch for weather to make a crossing?
Mike_ is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 5,980
Default

Start about the 1:00 minute mark

magua is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 PM
  #3  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 826
Default

I've been going to Bimini is small boats for 50 years. First trips were in high school while growing up on Key Biscayne. Lots of 19', 21' and occasional 17' boats. Just pick a good weekend and hope you don't have to leave the boat over there and fly home. I've made some trips back that were less than pleasant and were probably not very smart but I was young and foolish. You're only out of sight of land for a half hour or so so it's really not that intimidating. We even made lots of trips with only a compass for navigation and following the sun as it rises in the morning.
Molanabe likes this.
KBH is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM
  #4  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,232
Default

It's all about the weather. You need a nice weather window -- the kind of weather window where all the weather websites are going to agree that it's nice and calm out. The weather window needs to last at least a day beyond the day you're heading back. Things may well change condition wise. You need to be flexible and leave the boat over in Bimini if the weather deteriorates and pick it up when you have another weather window. In calm weather, the trip is a joke. It's 1 1/2 hours from Government Cut to Bimini. Bring an EPIRB or a PLB, a life raft, and a VHF. Just don't go if the weather is iffy.
jillybird is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:24 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 719
Default

Here is the current Bimini thread. If you really want to study, look at the Bimini threads from previous years.

The Official Bimini 2019 Thread
Chimpo is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami - Coconut Grove (Islamorada, Abaco, GHC, Lucaya)
Posts: 414
Default

Originally Posted by jillybird View Post
It's all about the weather. Bring an EPIRB or a PLB, a life raft, and a VHF. Just don't go if the weather is iffy.
This. Itís the difference between getting picked in 30 minutes or drifting to Newfoundland.
Chimpo likes this.
MiamiJay is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Default

Be sure to have the "boating app" for your phone with all maps downloaded
ilikesailing is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,469
Default

Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Iím looking for the best weather forecast site to judge a good day to take my capehorn to bimini from either ft lauderdale or Miami. Never made the crossing before and would be towing the boat from jax. It has 128 gallon fuel tank and a Ď17 Suzuki 300 range is no issue, my only concern is rough seas in the stream.. not a place I would want to be when and if the weather kicked up. Any tips? And whatís the best place to watch for weather to make a crossing?
I use wind finder pro on my phone. If you add 2' to whatever wave height you see, you will never be surprised in the stream. Other than that, leave early in the morning, leave from Miami and don't go if the wind is out of the North.

It's not a very big deal to go there. If the weather gets bad, slow down,
cajflynn is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
I use wind finder pro on my phone. If you add 2' to whatever wave height you see, you will never be surprised in the stream.
I just got Windfinder Pro. I have put in the Saint Lucie Inlet and the Jupiter Inlet Pier. Are there any offshore buoys to put in, or just these locations on the shore?

Pierson v Post is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 435
Default

Just be safe and wait till the summer. Then the crossing is like a highway of boats in case something happens. The stream is very unpredictable and can get hairy quickly.
Beer money is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hinesville GA
Posts: 4,444
Default

I use Windy, Windfinder, WeatherUnderground, SailFlow and Marine Weather by Accuweather just to add to the confusion. If it looks rough on one I'll show the Wife another one that looks better , it's not worth looking at the weather until 3 days out anyhow. For me 2-3's is a go and no winds from the North, when are you thinking of going ?.
Gnrphil is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:50 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Goodland, Florida
Posts: 3,927
Default

Originally Posted by KBH View Post
I've been going to Bimini is small boats for 50 years. First trips were in high school while growing up on Key Biscayne. Lots of 19', 21' and occasional 17' boats. Just pick a good weekend and hope you don't have to leave the boat over there and fly home. I've made some trips back that were less than pleasant and were probably not very smart but I was young and foolish. You're only out of sight of land for a half hour or so so it's really not that intimidating. We even made lots of trips with only a compass for navigation and following the sun as it rises in the morning.


That trip is on my bucket list, but I never realized it was that short. I'm out of sight of land longer than that going across Florida Bay to Marathon from Goodland.

Cat-a-holic is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 PM
  #13  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,232
Default

It's 45 nautical miles from Government Cut to Bimini. If it's a clear day, you can see the Miami skyscrapers maybe 15 miles offshore of Bimini. There's plenty of ship traffic around, Coast Guard planes and choppers, other boats -- as long as you cross during good weather. It's all about the weather and conditions for the 1 1/2 hours you are crossing.
jillybird is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 503
Default

What the rest of them said. Pick a summer day(s) with a 2’ or less forecast, and go. When I was a kid we cross d a number of times in a 19’ Mako with a 135 Evinrude. No such thing as gps or loran then. I’ve also cross d in a 22 Aqua Sport, and a pile of times in my 20’ Dusky. Plus a pile more in bigger boats.Just watch the weather, and if it changes, stay home.

You might want to think about crossing vrom West Palm to West End instead. Most of the decent fishing is a pretty good run after you get there.
JMarkB is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 8,128
Default

anytime in the summer you should be ok, just watch the weather. First time I went there were 30 jet skis making the trip
WPBTH is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,811
Default

I assume everyone that is questioning the trip stays at a hotel or resort and not on their boat. If you make hotel reservations and then have to cancel due to the winds / swell which you won't know until maybe 24-hours out at best, I assume you lose your deposit?

What do you do with the boat when it's time to come home and the weather is bad? Is there enough dockage over there that people just fly home and then back a week later to pick up the boat? I imagine that costs a fortune.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:37 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 8,128
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
I assume everyone that is questioning the trip stays at a hotel or resort and not on their boat. If you make hotel reservations and then have to cancel due to the winds / swell which you won't know until maybe 24-hours out at best, I assume you lose your deposit?

What do you do with the boat when it's time to come home and the weather is bad? Is there enough dockage over there that people just fly home and then back a week later to pick up the boat? I imagine that costs a fortune.
ive cancelled probably 10 trips the last 5 years. I have never had an issue with wanting to cancel, they know its there main source of income. If its going to be bad enough I cant come home for a week I am probably not going, or it just takes 3 hours to come home. took me 6 hours once helping "a buddy boat" limp home. I was told to keep the boat over there during bad weather the charge would be $25 a day.
WPBTH is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,811
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
ive cancelled probably 10 trips the last 5 years. I have never had an issue with wanting to cancel, they know its there main source of income. If its going to be bad enough I cant come home for a week I am probably not going, or it just takes 3 hours to come home. took me 6 hours once helping "a buddy boat" limp home. I was told to keep the boat over there during bad weather the charge would be $25 a day.
Well that makes it more inviting.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 719
Default

^^^
My luck, it would be stolen before I returned for it... On the bright side, it would save on return airfare.
Chimpo is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 385
Default

Done it twice in a 23. Must be summer, leave at first light on both crossings. It's like a highway in the summer. Getting there is easy, you just don't go if the weather is bad, coming back is the issue b/c you could get stuck and having things you HAVE TO get back to puts too many in a bad situation, so I say be prepared to leave early if weather is coming or to stay an extra couple days. I prefer no buddy boat bc, again, it's a highway and we leave at first light before winds and storms pick up. Waiting two hours for my buddy in his 31 Contender is not helping my weather window. Makes a huge difference IMO.
magua and Chimpo like this.
DarcizzleOffshore is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread