The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Florida & Georgia (https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia-32/)
-   -   The Official Bimini 2019 Thread (https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/979945-official-bimini-2019-thread.html)

jillybird 01-04-2019 10:43 AM

The Official Bimini 2019 Thread
 
Well, someone had to start it so here goes! With credit to JCane:

"Hey everyone!

Time for the new thread to discuss all things Bimini.

If you've got questions, ask 'em.

If you've got plans to cross, post 'em.

If you want to share pictures, stories, trip reports, etc, go right ahead!

Let's make sure the 2019 thread is the best one yet, haha."




By the way, my son and two of his friends took his 31 Contender over from Miami to Bimini this morning in 2-3 footers from the SE. My son said he did 37 mph the whole way and made the crossing in well under 1 1/2 hours. We just bought this 2005 Contender at the beginning of November 2018, and he can't stop talking about how great it is. After checking in, they were going high speeding for wahoo. I'll hear later how they did. Happy New Year to all Bimini bound THTrs.

Snookyj 01-04-2019 02:02 PM

We just got back today after spending a cpl days over there. We caught 2 smaller ones yesterday, but made up for it this morning!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...b7734fa238.jpg

jillybird 01-04-2019 03:31 PM

Nice job, Snookyj. Looks like the morning bite today was the one. My son went high speeding this afternoon after yellow tailing didn't work out and didn't get a strike. What's worse, the seas really kicked up when the wind started blowing around 20+ from the south. Hopefully, the morning bite will work for him tomorrow.

Rod27 01-04-2019 05:31 PM

i left my helicopter on that yacht behind you....nice feesh

dpdash 01-05-2019 05:04 AM

Well at least I don’t have to ask where the bite

jillybird 01-05-2019 09:08 AM

My son has been high speeding this morning -- lost a nice one at boat side to a shark while trying to gaff the hoo. Boated a 25 pounder. Still at it. Seas are a bit nasty now out of the NW. He may cross over this afternoon. I've told him to wait till the morning when the wind shifts to the NE and lightens. Some guys are doing very well this morning. Others less so.

Snookyj 01-05-2019 12:09 PM


Originally Posted by jillybird (Post 12118319)
My son has been high speeding this morning -- lost a nice one at boat side to a shark while trying to gaff the hoo. Boated a 25 pounder. Still at it. Seas are a bit nasty now out of the NW. He may cross over this afternoon. I've told him to wait till the morning when the wind shifts to the NE and lightens. Some guys are doing very well this morning. Others less so.


Thanks for the info Jilly, we might head back over monday afternoon for the evening bite and then hit it on tues morning and then head back, the weather looks pretty good!

Beachman 01-05-2019 04:04 PM

Sub.
Don't have date's yet but can't wait to return.

Asnell9 01-05-2019 04:21 PM

Headed over 7/11-18, mostly relaxing and a little reef fishing and spearing...Staying at Sands...wonder if they will have all new management in place and have everything opened back up again by then.

TexasF18Fisher 01-05-2019 08:06 PM

My brother and I plan on leaving Harbour Towne Marina July 3rd and coming back on the 6th. I'm not beholden to that since I'm not sure if it'll be worth waiting until after the 4th to go because of crowds.

Installed a some more equipment that gives me more peace of mind/comfort, but it makes me want to go sooner. The Mercury Vessel View mobile module is working great and I like how it tells me all the important info. Surprisingly, I had a max distance of 148 miles with three men and our gear yesterday. This was cruising at almost 4k rpm in 2 foot waves. I'll still probably carry an extra 5 gallon gas can just in case.

I haven't seen this covered, so I'll ask. Being that crossing is weather dependent; how do you guys work with the hotels there in cases of having to change arrivals or stay longer? We're scouting out places to stay and marinas. The Hilton looks nice but I'm not sure if they'll give up space for a non-yacht.

I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge you guys take the time to provide.

BoulderGT3 01-06-2019 04:09 AM

I saw a post a while pack that Big Game was redoing the bar/restaurant. Doe anyone know if it's completed?

dpdash 01-06-2019 04:44 AM


Originally Posted by BoulderGT3 (Post 12120265)
I saw a post a while pack that Big Game was redoing the bar/restaurant. Doe anyone know if it's completed?

according to their FB page not yet

BoulderGT3 01-06-2019 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by dpdash (Post 12120314)


according to their FB page not yet

I never thought to look at their page. No clue on when it will be done.
Side note- One of the posts talks about how hopefully the bull sharks are staying out of the marina. Doubtful, but they credit people not throwing fish scraps in. I wonder if they are still doing the shark cage?

jillybird 01-06-2019 07:28 AM

Wahoo bite update - The bite has been early morning only the past few days. My son got two this morning - one slightly tail sharked - before the bite turned off. They’re headed back to Miami from Bimini Sands right now. Seas are calm today. Looks like it was a good call to wait until this morning for the run back.

jillybird 01-06-2019 01:58 PM

My son reports first 35 miles of crossing this morning from Bimini to Miami was nice with a following slightly beam sea. But then the eastern edge of the Stream was a washing machine before things flattened out at the end. Total time from Bimini Sands to Rickenbacker was an hour twenty minutes. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Turns out the wahoo bite has been first thing in the morning and then it turns off. A bunch of guys skunked it appears unfortunately. Not a hot bite right now at Bimini. And the tax man is always around. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...7330d1bfd.jpeg


Tjackson 01-06-2019 04:38 PM

Questions
 
I’m planning on second week in June but I have a couple questions.
Im bringing my kids 7 & 5, would a house with a dock be better? Or Bimini big game resort for lodging, food, entertainment?
Thanks

tuna921 01-06-2019 04:58 PM


Originally Posted by Tjackson (Post 12122160)
I’m planning on second week in June but I have a couple questions.
Im bringing my kids 7 & 5, would a house with a dock be better? Or Bimini big game resort for lodging, food, entertainment?
Thanks

Big game is traditional Bimini, home for rent in Resorts World are the chic places. I like the Big Game but to each their own.

jillybird 01-06-2019 06:01 PM

I like Big Game too, but beware the current. It really rips there -- makes docking interesting, especially the first time.

CaptainRobin 01-06-2019 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by dpdash (Post 12120314)


according to their FB page not yet

its been happening...they’ve moved the bar and restaurant in to Hemingway’s little place in the meantime.

CaptainRobin 01-06-2019 07:49 PM


Originally Posted by jillybird (Post 12121670)
My son reports first 35 miles of crossing this morning from Bimini to Miami was nice with a following slightly beam sea. But then the eastern edge of the Stream was a washing machine before things flattened out at the end. Total time from Bimini Sands to Rickenbacker was an hour twenty minutes. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Turns out the wahoo bite has been first thing in the morning and then it turns off. A bunch of guys skunked it appears unfortunately. Not a hot bite right now at Bimini. And the tax man is always around. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...7330d1bfd.jpeg


looking at the bite, it looks like another wahoo hit it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.