Notices
Like Tree43Likes

The Official Bimini 2019 Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 PM
  #161  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: S. Fla.
Posts: 51
Default

Originally Posted by jCane13 View Post
I have a free second entry that expires March 17th. Trying to use that. Leave from Boca. Anyone is welcome to come along as long as you can run at least 28 mph.

Jeff
Looking at leaving Friday morning if the weather holds.
jCane13 likes this.
Semperpescatus is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 AM
  #162  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 32
Default

We are heading over Friday morning Feb 22nd. Only 2 weeks away! Leaving from Harbour town hope to return early the following Monday of the seas cooperate. Any one else headed over that day? Will be our first over looking forward to it. Been researching these threads until I'm blue in the face thanks for all the info. Will use a slip at the sands and stay on the boat for this trip. Next trip will be with our kids so will rent a condo but want to do the trip without them to get a handle on everything.
1 PLB
1 handheld VHF 1 on hard mounted VHF
1 garmin
Lots of beer and then some more beer
Twin 454 scarab so can take some angry seas if it gets snotty.
Jcbenson01 likes this.
Gunradd is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM
  #163  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: S. Fla.
Posts: 51
Default

Cancelled this morning. It appears I didn't realize it was my daughter's birthday...
Gnrphil and jCane13 like this.
Semperpescatus is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:20 PM
  #164  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Originally Posted by BahamaBum View Post
We are looking at crossing for a week between say May 25-June 20 weather window permitting. Have interest from a few other boats.

We are all wondering about reserving a sopt at the sands or wait till we get the weather window and then do it?

Have ready the last few years bimini threads and cant see much on this subject.

We are all looking forward to it!

Next trip will be to freeport lived there for 4 years in the 80's.
We are planning on making the crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to bimini on the 29th of May on my cousins Triton deep V.
It has 2 brand new Yamaha 150 hp 4 strokes being installed right now.

We would love the crossing company!
Matth580 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 AM
  #165  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,070
Default

Originally Posted by Semperpescatus View Post
Cancelled this morning. It appears I didn't realize it was my daughter's birthday...
oooops

Rod27 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 PM
  #166  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,130
Default

Looking like Saturday through Monday may be a prime window.

Jeff
jCane13 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM
  #167  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 48
Default Boca to Bimini 2/16-2/17

Heading over Saturday morning out of Boca. Will be on a 25 contender, cruise 27-33mph depending on sea conditions. Hoping for a few wahoo. Anyone wants to buddy up for the crossing let me know. Also anyone have a contact for a boat slip at Bimini sands?
zh50 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 PM
  #168  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by One Tough Kitty View Post
Very Crowded. Best of luck with that one. The best thing would be to make a call early to see if you can reserve parking
My vacation is pretty flexible. You think I'll have less of a worry if I arrive at Harbour Towne on the evening of the 1st vs. the evening of the 2nd?

TexasF18Fisher is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 AM
  #169  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,130
Default

Originally Posted by zh50 View Post
Heading over Saturday morning out of Boca. Will be on a 25 contender, cruise 27-33mph depending on sea conditions. Hoping for a few wahoo. Anyone wants to buddy up for the crossing let me know. Also anyone have a contact for a boat slip at Bimini sands?
I wish. Found out I have to go to a birthday party on Saturday night .

Have fun!

Jeff
jCane13 is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:06 PM
  #170  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,232
Default

The Jillybird is planning on heading to Big Game Saturday morning. My wife has complained my son and I never take her across and this time she has the time to go. Now my son doesn’t want to go, lol, but he will. The weather window looks real nice. We’ll give the hoo a shot and deep drop as usual.
jillybird is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:21 PM
  #171  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 719
Default

I'm looking into things to do, other than fishing, in Bimini and West End to figure out where the wife and I would rather go. We'd be going by boat, and staying in a hotel. Both locales seem to be well within striking distance. We are not Hilton people, and would be very happy at a nice clean hotel.

In Bimini it seems you are limited to the Sapona, which we can do on our own, and water sports that are geared towards younger people. We like to do the cruise ship style tours to see the area we are visiting, but we've been on a enough sting ray/dolphin encounters to get us through a few more years.

From what I am seeing, half of Bimini is a very commercialized resort. Are any of the towns in the other half nice?
West End is bigger, and looks to have some larger cities. Is it reminiscent of the unpleasantness of Nassau, or are they a bit more laid back and enjoyable?
Chimpo is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 05:50 AM
  #172  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 555
Default

Originally Posted by jCane13 View Post
I have a free second entry that expires March 17th. Trying to use that. Leave from Boca. Anyone is welcome to come along as long as you can run at least 28 mph.

Jeff
Can you tow my dingy? Assuming you can handle her?
Jcbenson01 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 AM
  #173  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,130
Default

I'll tow you on a tube...?
jCane13 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:48 AM
  #174  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 555
Default

Originally Posted by jCane13 View Post
I'll tow you on a tube...?
I’ve always wanted to troll for something bigger than me lol.

Chimpo likes this.
Jcbenson01 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM
  #175  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami - Coconut Grove (Islamorada, Abaco, GHC, Lucaya)
Posts: 414
Default

Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
I'm looking into things to do, other than fishing, in Bimini and West End to figure out where the wife and I would rather go. We'd be going by boat, and staying in a hotel. Both locales seem to be well within striking distance. We are not Hilton people, and would be very happy at a nice clean hotel.

In Bimini it seems you are limited to the Sapona, which we can do on our own, and water sports that are geared towards younger people. We like to do the cruise ship style tours to see the area we are visiting, but we've been on a enough sting ray/dolphin encounters to get us through a few more years.

From what I am seeing, half of Bimini is a very commercialized resort. Are any of the towns in the other half nice?
West End is bigger, and looks to have some larger cities. Is it reminiscent of the unpleasantness of Nassau, or are they a bit more laid back and enjoyable?

if you like Miami then you’ll love Bimini … ‘nuff said. I’ve been in Miami virtually all my life, only leaving for school and then coming back. I enjoy the natural beauty of South Florida and like being here or I would’ve moved. However, when I get in the boat and go somewhere, I want to “get away“ so Bimini is not the place for me as that’s where everybody from Miami goes. That being said, we spend a lot of time in Islamorada but we are fairly secluded when we get there.

I am far from an expert on Bimini but what I can tell you is that North Bimini and South Bimini are quite different. Actually, the north part of North Bimini in the south part of North Bimini are quite different. The north part of North Bimini is essentially a gated area that includes the Hilton Hotel and Resorts World Bimini. Despite the fact that it is built up and very commercialized, RWB has very nice townhomes for rent, a beautiful beach and nice pool area. The problem with it really is their first name… That it is a “resort“ and far from the Bimini that my dad would take my brother and me to back in the 1970s. Over the years it has deteriorated from the “out island and fishing destination” that it once was and has become a touristy, loud party spot. I believe there is some sort of EDM festival coming up soon so that pretty much sums it up.

The south part of North Bimini still has the old time look with Big Game, Brown’s and other fishing hotels. Here are some great fresh conch places, Edith’s pizza, etc. but many of the locals are fed up with jackass US visitors so approximately 17% of the locals are nice and the rest are over it.

I still enjoyed going to South Bimini until a couple of years ago. Most of the townhomes in South Bimini are owned by Americans who rent them out. The problem is that the management at Sands completely sucks and you have to go through them to get keys and rent boat slips. There used to be a pretty decent restaurant that had a sushi section, a bar and restaurant but it closed down a couple of years ago.

The closest I typically get to Bimini these days is passing by North Rock going to and coming from The Berry’s and Abaco.

West End is going through it’s own issues with OBB so read up on that and get current info before going.

The place that you might consider is Port Lucaya near Freeport. There are several hotels there with some on the water/beach and others in the harbor. The people are friendly, Customs is easy for check-in, decent restaurants, good fishing, good guides, and the area is relatively laid back. It’s definitely not an “out island” feel but it seems to fit the bill of what you are looking for to go by boat and also satisfy your wife’s desire.

Some places there ... Pelican Bay and The Grand Lucayan.

magua, Chimpo and Jcbenson01 like this.
MiamiJay is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:30 PM
  #176  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 719
Default

^^^
I went over to Miami for two days for my brothers bachelor party two years ago. I'll eat my gun before I vacation there again.

Sounds like Lucaya is the place for us. Any tips on things to do, and places to go once there, ie tours, and snorkeling sites?
Chimpo is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM
  #177  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,130
Default

Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
^^^
I went over to Miami for two days for my brothers bachelor party two years ago. I'll eat my gun before I vacation there again.

Sounds like Lucaya is the place for us. Any tips on things to do, and places to go once there, ie tours, and snorkeling sites?
Not arguing that there aren't boats that cross from Miami or that RW on the north end of the north island isn't Miami-ish. HOWEVER, if you stayed on the south end of the north island, in the Big Game or the Seacrest, there would be no way you'd confuse your location for Miami.

Just saying.

Jeff
JDinSWFL and Chimpo like this.
jCane13 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM
  #178  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 971
Default

Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
I'm looking into things to do, other than fishing, in Bimini and West End to figure out where the wife and I would rather go. We'd be going by boat, and staying in a hotel. Both locales seem to be well within striking distance. We are not Hilton people, and would be very happy at a nice clean hotel.

In Bimini it seems you are limited to the Sapona, which we can do on our own, and water sports that are geared towards younger people. We like to do the cruise ship style tours to see the area we are visiting, but we've been on a enough sting ray/dolphin encounters to get us through a few more years.

From what I am seeing, half of Bimini is a very commercialized resort. Are any of the towns in the other half nice?
West End is bigger, and looks to have some larger cities. Is it reminiscent of the unpleasantness of Nassau, or are they a bit more laid back and enjoyable?
You might want to check out Blue Marlin Cove at West End. It's pretty remote - compared to Bimini - decent marina with nice, clean "condo type" accommodations and it's next to Bootle Bay Lodge which has a bar and a small restaurant to get some authentic Bahamian food. BMC also has a restaurant but it wasn't open when I was there last September. You can get a ride into Lucaya or Freeport via "taxi" - it's about 30-40 minute ride from BMC. My experience has been very positive from the aspect of being more secluded and not a "Miami crowd", but it seems I've been there at off-peak times. Check-in for customs & immigration is super-easy at Old Bahama Bay marina, then grab yourself a Bahama Mama and some conch fritters while you're there and you can troll on the way over to BMC from there.
Chimpo likes this.
scubaholic is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:17 PM
  #179  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 1,232
Default

We crossed over today leaving Key Biscayne at the early bird hour of high noon. Today was a crossing for jet skis. That’s a bit unusual for mid February but always welcome. We made the crossing in 1 3/4 hours. My radar was lit up the whole time with boats. Never seen so many doing the crossing, especially in Winter. We’re at Big Game Marina for the night which is fairly crowded but nowhere near sold out. After lunch at the beach, we went high speeding for an hour and a half til dark. Lots of boats. All we got was a nice king. Tide is right in the morning so we’ll see what’s up.
mintregila and Rod27 like this.
jillybird is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 06:49 PM
  #180  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 210
Default

Originally Posted by jillybird View Post
We crossed over today leaving Key Biscayne at the early bird hour of high noon. Today was a crossing for jet skis. That’s a bit unusual for mid February but always welcome. We made the crossing in 1 3/4 hours. My radar was lit up the whole time with boats. Never seen so many doing the crossing, especially in Winter. We’re at Big Game Marina for the night which is fairly crowded but nowhere near sold out. After lunch at the beach, we went high speeding for an hour and a half til dark. Lots of boats. All we got was a nice king. Tide is right in the morning so we’ll see what’s up.
pics!!!
Qotsaautopilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread