Notices
Like Tree336Likes

The Official Bimini 2019 Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 02:04 PM
  #301  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Default

I am heading over to North Bimini for the first time the end of July. I have been to the Abacos many times and have where to stay, launch the boat and leave my truck and trailer down pat. We usually leave from Stuart. I am planning to go to at least Palm Beach to leave on this trip and I know nothing about the area. Any help as far as where to stay the night before, launch the boat and leave my truck and trailer would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on what to do for fun when we get there would be great. I am traveling with my family which means me and a boat full of women. Thanks in advance
HolyMoses is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 PM
  #302  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 203
Default

Originally Posted by Shooter_McGavin View Post
Thanks! good info. What type and size fish can I expect to get in those areas? I hunt West End and Grande a lot, so I'm not new to using a polespear.
If you are used to Grand, you are going to be a bit disappointed. The reefs are different and you get a hell of a lot more pressure on them then Grand. Hunting Grand is outrageously great with fish you want to shoot everywhere. Bimini is not like that in multiple ways.

The reefs of Grand are huge beautiful heads and rich high profile patches all the way from near shore all the way to the barrier Reef. Grand Walkers area there is tiny amounts of pressure, the fish are not accustomed to being hunted and the quality size and quantity are both great and diverse.

Unless you run way north of Bimini up on the bank to Great Issac areas and east your not going to find those kinds of reefs with high profile near the surface and loaded with fish. The reefs off bimini are more linear tracking the edge of the bank walls, and the natural relief areas. There are plenty of good patch reefs shallow and better from Gun/Cat Cay south, but not like Grand, not as high profile and they get more hunting and fishing pressure so not as many big fish and you have to work much harder.

In Grand the fishing and hunting is like cheating, don't expect that in Bimini. There are good areas and you will get fish, but you can't compare the two. The sizes are often much smaller and the fish are wiser because they or their buddies may have been targeted before.

You can successfully chum up Yellowtail and other snapper and kill them in the chum slick, but you will be picking your prey out of hundreds of reef fish and tons of small snapper. There are good grouper and hogs up on the banks random Coral heads, but you have to find them, they are not concentrated. The closer you are to Bimini the worse your chances. You can often get decent smaller snapper anywhere they should be, but the sizes are sometimes poor and it will often be a single species congregating.

Don't let me be a downer, you will have a great time, but don't expect Grand Cay's diverse life and density.
eric.reedy is offline  
Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
  #303  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,494
Default

you chum while spearfishing in the Bahamas?
Rod27 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM
  #304  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Default

Originally Posted by HolyMoses View Post
I am heading over to North Bimini for the first time the end of July. I have been to the Abacos many times and have where to stay, launch the boat and leave my truck and trailer down pat. We usually leave from Stuart. I am planning to go to at least Palm Beach to leave on this trip and I know nothing about the area. Any help as far as where to stay the night before, launch the boat and leave my truck and trailer would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on what to do for fun when we get there would be great. I am traveling with my family which means me and a boat full of women. Thanks in advance
Typically going to Bimini I would put in further south, my $02. Look a few threads up and you can see all of the information for parking your rig for Bimini.

When we go to West End or further beyond we put in at Lake Park Marina around WPB. It has a good ramp, but the parking is not as secure as other places further south. I have never had any problems at Lake Park.

Lake Park Marina 105 Lake Shore Dr, Lake Park, FL 33403
Skurve04 is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:55 AM
  #305  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas
Posts: 1,366
Default

Originally Posted by eric.reedy View Post
If you are used to Grand, you are going to be a bit disappointed. The reefs are different and you get a hell of a lot more pressure on them then Grand. Hunting Grand is outrageously great with fish you want to shoot everywhere. Bimini is not like that in multiple ways.

The reefs of Grand are huge beautiful heads and rich high profile patches all the way from near shore all the way to the barrier Reef. Grand Walkers area there is tiny amounts of pressure, the fish are not accustomed to being hunted and the quality size and quantity are both great and diverse.

Unless you run way north of Bimini up on the bank to Great Issac areas and east your not going to find those kinds of reefs with high profile near the surface and loaded with fish. The reefs off bimini are more linear tracking the edge of the bank walls, and the natural relief areas. There are plenty of good patch reefs shallow and better from Gun/Cat Cay south, but not like Grand, not as high profile and they get more hunting and fishing pressure so not as many big fish and you have to work much harder.

In Grand the fishing and hunting is like cheating, don't expect that in Bimini. There are good areas and you will get fish, but you can't compare the two. The sizes are often much smaller and the fish are wiser because they or their buddies may have been targeted before.

You can successfully chum up Yellowtail and other snapper and kill them in the chum slick, but you will be picking your prey out of hundreds of reef fish and tons of small snapper. There are good grouper and hogs up on the banks random Coral heads, but you have to find them, they are not concentrated. The closer you are to Bimini the worse your chances. You can often get decent smaller snapper anywhere they should be, but the sizes are sometimes poor and it will often be a single species congregating.

Don't let me be a downer, you will have a great time, but don't expect Grand Cay's diverse life and density.
Now everyone will be going to Grand, Thanks :-)
cntdr is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM
  #306  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Merritt Island
Posts: 114
Default

We went and checked out Lake park a few weeks ago, t small ramps and no real parking place to put boat while truck and trailer are obtained. And parking for long term right on road with no fence or anything.

There is a ramp south of there public one behind peanut island, was closed when we went by but looked promising? Here 100 E 17th St, Riviera Beach, FL 33404.
BahamaBum is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 AM
  #307  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boca raton, fl, usa
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by Shooter_McGavin View Post
Hey guys. Crossing over in 10 days or so and I'm looking for info on best areas to spearfish. I don't mind towing around, so just need some "jumping off places." I'll probably head south, and have some numbers for Victory Reef. Is that a good spot? Is that about 20 miles south of Bimini?

I'm a solid diver and can dive deep, but prefer to keep it under 60 feet. Thanks guys!
head to gingerbreads
heatzig is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 12:12 PM
  #308  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Default

I am going for the first time myself in late july. 19- 21 short weekend. what dates are looking?
randyb791 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:08 PM
  #309  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Im currently looking at going on one of the end of July, just waiting on my schedule to come out to see which one. If i cant make those dates i would certainly like to tag along with a few other boats going mid to end of july or early august as this will be our 1st time across.


I am getting the safety gear / electronics together but was wondering how essential it is to have a radar. We boat on the lake most of the time. We will be taking a Chaparral 257ssx.
Scout8541 is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM
  #310  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 338
Default

Radar is not a necessity.
whichcraft is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:42 AM
  #311  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
Default Bimini - July 14th-19th

I am headed to Bimini for the first time with 34 boats from a Facebook group called "Gulfstreamers", I am going on my Mako 230. I just have a couple of questions,

-Should I hire a local fishing guide? If so, who?
-Should I load up live Pilchards from Miami and run my livewell pump the whole week?
-Deep drop rigs?
-Trolling rigs?

What type of fishing should I try first? Go hunt for Mahi Mahi or bottom fish for Yellowtail, Mutton, and Grouper?
For flag Yellowtail Snapper, is it worth making a run to the Gingerbread Ground or if I anchor off Cat Cay or Bimini's edge in 60-80 ft. of water is the same as the Gingerbread Ground?

If anyone can email me at least ONE good spot for flag Yellowtails or big Muttons, I'd really appreciate it. I will give you credit on my Instagram and Twitter posts!!

Feel free to email me: anthonydiaz155@gmail.com

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
steadicam305 is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:11 PM
  #312  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by randyb791 View Post
I am going for the first time myself in late july. 19- 21 short weekend. what dates are looking?
I am going July 14-19 with a group of 34 boats up to now!
steadicam305 is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 10:40 PM
  #313  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by Scout8541 View Post
Im currently looking at going on one of the end of July, just waiting on my schedule to come out to see which one. If i cant make those dates i would certainly like to tag along with a few other boats going mid to end of july or early august as this will be our 1st time across.


I am getting the safety gear / electronics together but was wondering how essential it is to have a radar. We boat on the lake most of the time. We will be taking a Chaparral 257ssx.
July 14-21 there is a group on Facebook called “Gulfstreamers” that is doing a trip from Miami > Bimini > Nassau > Chub Cay > Exuma. 34 boats going up to now!

I wont be going on that journey. I will be staying that whole week in Bimini while they continue to those islands over the days. They will pass by Bimini on the way back so we all head back to Miami together.
steadicam305 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
  #314  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by steadicam305 View Post


July 14-21 there is a group on Facebook called “Gulfstreamers” that is doing a trip from Miami > Bimini > Nassau > Chub Cay > Exuma. 34 boats going up to now!

I wont be going on that journey. I will be staying that whole week in Bimini while they continue to those islands over the days. They will pass by Bimini on the way back so we all head back to Miami together.
ill check that out. Im sure we will be ok to go to Bimini, i dont think my 25’ will make it much past there safely.
Scout8541 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM
  #315  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,581
Default

Originally Posted by steadicam305 View Post


July 14-21 there is a group on Facebook called “Gulfstreamers” that is doing a trip from Miami > Bimini > Nassau > Chub Cay > Exuma. 34 boats going up to now!

I wont be going on that journey. I will be staying that whole week in Bimini while they continue to those islands over the days. They will pass by Bimini on the way back so we all head back to Miami together.
That's a lot of back and forth across New Providence channel .
BoulderGT3 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 03:58 PM
  #316  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 18
Default

Originally Posted by Scout8541 View Post


ill check that out. Im sure we will be ok to go to Bimini, i dont think my 25’ will make it much past there safely.
Same thing I’vd told others. There’s people doing that trip in Jet Skis...

INSANE!!!!
Jcbenson01 likes this.
steadicam305 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:22 PM
  #317  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Anyone hear of the Crossing For A Cure fundraiser in June? I came across it a local angler magazine, and saw they are looking for boats to support 200 paddle boarders. They are offering a lot of incentives, and I was seeing if anyone here did it last year.
kano807 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 PM
  #318  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Default

6 of us going on wave runners crossing August 7th to Resorts World should be fine...but the folks on sup's? That's INSANE! BTW, anyone going on that date please contact me as a "chase/supply boat" would be key....Cheers, Chris
soundside1 is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 07:45 PM
  #319  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Port Orange , FL
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by kano807 View Post
Anyone hear of the Crossing For A Cure fundraiser in June? I came across it a local angler magazine, and saw they are looking for boats to support 200 paddle boarders. They are offering a lot of incentives, and I was seeing if anyone here did it last year.
I seen that too and considered signing up until I realized it was father's day weekend. Looks like a cool event, I wish it was on a different weekend.
Roc Bottom is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 05:03 AM
  #320  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,494
Default

wonder how long the event lasts...they have tips on crossing at night.....that doesnt sound good
Rod27 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread