Notices
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gettinthere
  • 1 Post By stetsonlaw

Beastmaster 9000 - Anyone ever troll with it?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 157
Default Beastmaster 9000 - Anyone ever troll with it?

Curious if anyone has ever tried to troll with a Beastmaster electric. I have a new one I was trying to sell, but considering keeping it.

Obviously don't think it would hold up to HST but was wondering is anybody has tried anything other than deep dropping with it. Maybe even tuna chunking?

Seems like a great reel if I can get some extra use out of it.
FrigateMan242 is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 233
Default

I dont know where you fish out of but of the guide ring on the reel is large enough to have swivels pass through you can use it kite fishing. Those reels should be able to handle tuna chunking for fish under 50lbs, I have seen them catch 60 lb amberjacks without a problem. I troll little feathers to catch skip jack for bait or pull planers on a Banax which is very similar.
Scarfish likes this.
gettinthere is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 12:46 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 363
Default

I have a pair and have HST with them. They will take it no prob. BUT, the issue is you have to set the drag EXACTLY where you want it and not adjust it (as it is a star drag) Moving it can result in a backlash (if loosened) or breakoff (if tightened). The other issue is their isn't a clicker to notify you upon strike.
Yes, they work, but not well for HST
I use mine only for kite fishing, deep dropping or pulling teasers.
hubspooner is offline  
Old 12-20-2018, 02:22 PM
  #4  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,752
Default

You should be able to pull a large planer with it. Maybe, just maybe some HST.
Copout@castaways is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 157
Default BM

Originally Posted by hubspooner View Post
I have a pair and have HST with them. They will take it no prob. BUT, the issue is you have to set the drag EXACTLY where you want it and not adjust it (as it is a star drag) Moving it can result in a backlash (if loosened) or breakoff (if tightened). The other issue is their isn't a clicker to notify you upon strike.
Yes, they work, but not well for HST
I use mine only for kite fishing, deep dropping or pulling teasers.
Wow, I'm very surprised it would hold up to trolling at 14-18 knots with even up to 24oz of weight. Have you ever hooked a decent sized wahoo or comparable?
FrigateMan242 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 11:48 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 363
Default

Originally Posted by FrigateMan242 View Post
Wow, I'm very surprised it would hold up to trolling at 14-18 knots with even up to 24oz of weight. Have you ever hooked a decent sized wahoo or comparable?
I use mine only for kite fishing, deep dropping or pulling teasers.
hubspooner is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 12:13 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boynton Beach, Florida
Posts: 22
Default

Yes, they work for trolling. I troll YFT with them, no problem. HST is doable, but I would suggest a Tiagra / Hooker combo for that application instead.

On the drift I've caught dozens of swords up to #250 on them and one surprise 100# Big Eye Tuna last June off Palm Beach.
stoxbonds likes this.
stetsonlaw is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 157
Default Swords

Originally Posted by stetsonlaw View Post
Yes, they work for trolling. I troll YFT with them, no problem. HST is doable, but I would suggest a Tiagra / Hooker combo for that application instead.

On the drift I've caught dozens of swords up to #250 on them and one surprise 100# Big Eye Tuna last June off Palm Beach.
Thanks for the info. Was going to use it for a light daytime sword setup but was always worried about running out of line. I think you can only fit something like 1200 yds of 65lb braid and maybe 100ft 150lb wind-on.. What did you use on yours?
FrigateMan242 is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:52 PM
  #9  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,752
Default

Originally Posted by FrigateMan242 View Post
Thanks for the info. Was going to use it for a light daytime sword setup but was always worried about running out of line. I think you can only fit something like 1200 yds of 65lb braid and maybe 100ft 150lb wind-on.. What did you use on yours?
It holds more than enough for night timing. Stanz used it for daytiimg.
Copout@castaways is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread