Notices
Like Tree58Likes

2018 scallop thread

Reply

Old 07-11-2018, 02:00 PM
  #221  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by DrunkysAmazingRaceWinner View Post
We went out for the first time ever yesterday out of Hernando Beach and did't hardly get any like maybe 10 total over 5 hours. We went far out and close in and everywhere in between from Hernando up to north of bayport almost to the homosassa inlet. Am i just doing it wrong or do we need to go further north?
You need to go North of Homosassa.
jj1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:16 AM
  #222  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 47
Default

We had a great first time visit this week to Crystal River / Plantation. Was nervous about navigating but made it through no problem despite some low tides. We managed to grab 7 gallons on Monday and cut it short due to bad weather and 10 gallons by 2pm Tuesday. What a great family trip. We had a blast.
Very easy to do for any first timers curious about it. Highly recommend it. One of my favorite things we’ve done so far. We caught most of ours south of Gomez Rocks in 5-7 ft. If you didn’t have your head in the weeds though you weren’t finding them. If you did we’d come up with 2-3 at a time. Already reserved for 2019! ..and thanks to the posts here we had a very nice scallop ceviche last night.
sanddollar2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:59 AM
  #223  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,858
Default

crystal river is a cake walk for navigating the channel, homosassa is a whole nother level!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM
  #224  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 819
Default

Anybody recommend a charter to take scalloping?
jdiddy101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:24 AM
  #225  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 477
Default

We went out yesterday with some friends. We went out of hernando beach and went all the way North of the Chaz. Worked everything from 5ft to 12ft, but didn't find any kind of quantity. Came home with maybe 3 gallons.
Firecat1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:27 AM
  #226  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 477
Default

I heard horror stories about Homosassa for years before we went up there. I don't get it, what is so hard about staying in between the markers? It has a few turns, but I thought everything was clearly marked. Stay in the channel and follow it out before turning, done.
Danny33486 likes this.
Firecat1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM
  #227  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,470
Default

Originally Posted by Firecat1981 View Post
I heard horror stories about Homosassa for years before we went up there. I don't get it, what is so hard about staying in between the markers? It has a few turns, but I thought everything was clearly marked. Stay in the channel and follow it out before turning, done.
Exactly. The only thing that makes it that bad is the number boats running the river. Amazingly though, with a little planning, you can avoid the madness by running out an hour or two before the rush. Then head back in before the afternoon rush. If storms start popping up, check the weather to see what the storms are doing before losing your mind and running back in with all of the other fools.

Oh, and SONS OF BITCHES IN PONTOON BOATS
dkknaebel likes this.
acme54321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:35 AM
  #228  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homosassa, FL
Posts: 1,263
Default

Crystal River:

Tall Tales Charters - (352) 454-7719

Suzy B Charters - (352) 586-8068

Chassahowitzka:

Windspliter Charters - (352) 364-2417

Tall Tales may be booked up. The other two are good and may have openings.
DocStressor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:41 AM
  #229  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by acme54321 View Post
Oh, and SONS OF BITCHES IN PONTOON BOATS
I'm pretty sure pontoon boats and jet skis kill lots of manatees. I just need to figure out how to convince law makers of such and we'll have those things gone in no time!
jj1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 AM
  #230  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 477
Default

I still will never understand the hatred for pontoon boats. Big deal you might have to come off plane to pass one, then continue on your way. The river speed limit is only 25mph. I pass them on my boat without any issues.
Firecat1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:04 AM
  #231  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by Firecat1981 View Post
I still will never understand the hatred for pontoon boats. Big deal you might have to come off plane to pass one, then continue on your way. The river speed limit is only 25mph. I pass them on my boat without any issues.
Likely has to do with the fact that they do 15mph in the channel, but are DEAD CENTER (although, to be far lots of times they're just on the wrong side completely) of it where you can't pass, and traffic coming in can barely get by. If you ever run there at low tide, especially during the winter months, you'll realize just how slim the margin of error is going outside of the channel to pass.
jj1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 AM
  #232  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 477
Default

Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
Likely has to do with the fact that they do 15mph in the channel, but are DEAD CENTER (although, to be far lots of times they're just on the wrong side completely) of it where you can't pass, and traffic coming in can barely get by. If you ever run there at low tide, especially during the winter months, you'll realize just how slim the margin of error is going outside of the channel to pass.
yeah I get that, but last 2 times I went out there were large CC's sitting in the channel goofing around creating traffic jams. If a pontoon is in your way, honk, they will move over. If not they are still going 15mph and the limits only 25. Every time we go out we get buzzed by some -------- going 40+mph in a large CC. Guys these days are just to impatient imo. It's not like it's a far ride out.
Firecat1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM
  #233  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,470
Default

Originally Posted by Firecat1981 View Post
I still will never understand the hatred for pontoon boats. Big deal you might have to come off plane to pass one, then continue on your way. The river speed limit is only 25mph. I pass them on my boat without any issues.

They're the worst that's why.
acme54321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM
  #234  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Default Newbie to scalloping crystal river area

Originally Posted by sanddollar2 View Post
We had a great first time visit this week to Crystal River / Plantation. Was nervous about navigating but made it through no problem despite some low tides. We managed to grab 7 gallons on Monday and cut it short due to bad weather and 10 gallons by 2pm Tuesday. What a great family trip. We had a blast.
Very easy to do for any first timers curious about it. Highly recommend it. One of my favorite things we’ve done so far. We caught most of ours south of Gomez Rocks in 5-7 ft. If you didn’t have your head in the weeds though you weren’t finding them. If you did we’d come up with 2-3 at a time. Already reserved for 2019! ..and thanks to the posts here we had a very nice scallop ceviche last night.
great forum !!
i have trip planned 8/10-8/12 on St Martins river
any suggestions , locations or numbers for that area once out into gulf in that area would be greatly appreciated . I have 16 ft skiff with only about 25 mile range .
thanks !!!
BullDawg1217 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 AM
  #235  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
Likely has to do with the fact that they do 15mph in the channel, but are DEAD CENTER (although, to be far lots of times they're just on the wrong side completely) of it where you can't pass, and traffic coming in can barely get by. If you ever run there at low tide, especially during the winter months, you'll realize just how slim the margin of error is going outside of the channel to pass.
Yeah that's definitely a big part of it.

Last year, a big storm shut down most of the scalloping. 100s of boats were all running the river. For the most part it wasn't that bad, but we came to a spot where traffic was snarled. As I get closer, I see a pontoon in the middle of the channel. As I get closer, I see that there is a lady hanging off the back of the boat relieving herself. The middle of a busy channel is clearly the best place to do that, right? And, no, you don't want any pics.
Belzelbub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM
  #236  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
Yeah that's definitely a big part of it.

Last year, a big storm shut down most of the scalloping. 100s of boats were all running the river. For the most part it wasn't that bad, but we came to a spot where traffic was snarled. As I get closer, I see a pontoon in the middle of the channel. As I get closer, I see that there is a lady hanging off the back of the boat relieving herself. The middle of a busy channel is clearly the best place to do that, right? And, no, you don't want any pics.
There's really no safe place to pull over and do that in the channel, she needs to hold it until she gets to shell island.
jj1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:53 AM
  #237  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Right Coast of Florida/E.Tennessee
Posts: 6,202
Default

That's what a bucket is for. Freakin' channel snapper.
DavenFla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 AM
  #238  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,858
Default

Originally Posted by jdiddy101 View Post
Anybody recommend a charter to take scalloping?
sent you a PM
Rolandt03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:34 AM
  #239  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,858
Default

Originally Posted by Firecat1981 View Post
I heard horror stories about Homosassa for years before we went up there. I don't get it, what is so hard about staying in between the markers? It has a few turns, but I thought everything was clearly marked. Stay in the channel and follow it out before turning, done.
i think people have an issue because there are a couple of spots that you have to run a little ways before you can see the next channel marker and next thing they know they are out of the channel piled up on the rocks. with modern GPS should be easy to run it.

hell i run it at night on more than one occasion. but i know it like the back of my hand as well
dkknaebel likes this.
Rolandt03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:56 PM
  #240  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4
Default Newbie crystal river scalloping

great forum !! Just joined I’m in Tallahassee ,
we had 4 divers in all locations for 3 plus hours at St Marks this last Saturday
12 scallops .........
i have trip planned 8/10-8/12 on St Martins river
any suggestions , locations or numbers for that area once out into gulf in that area would be greatly appreciated . I have 16 ft skiff with only about 25 mile range .
thanks !!!
BullDawg1217 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: