Notices
Like Tree3Likes

New to the Miami / S. Florida area

Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 755
Default

Originally Posted by Snookyj View Post
Will do....i'm working tomorrow. You gonna be around?
sending PM
petealan is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,769
Default

No reason to be skeered....im the coolest water cop you'll ever meet...lol
Snookyj is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:41 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 755
Default Haulover Sandbar Drone Video

MY second video production. Hope you like...

https://vimeo.com/218623064
petealan is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 AM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 7,223
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
MY second video production. Hope you like...

https://vimeo.com/218623064


You know the tide is low when everyone is anchored out so far.
Leeroyjenkins is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 AM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
Check this out. My first video. I made it last night after being around on the water yesterday. Please comment if you like it...

https://youtu.be/baFMQUNtFb4
Yea, great movie. Can't wait to get out there!

Originally Posted by Snookyj View Post
No problem hope it helps out, as far as the Haulover sandbar goes, yes the northside and the eastside of the sandbar would be your best bet, just make sure you have a rising tide if you do decide to anchor a lil shallower than you normallly would, the tides aren't drastic here, but they drop enough to bottom out your boat if you are too shallow on an outgoing tide.

Not much going on at Stiltsville, just a cool piece of Miami history dating back to the rum running days, if your down in that area, you could always go to No Name Harbor and grab a bite at the lil cuban restaurant thats there. The house are always a cool conversation piece while out boating. Let me know if you need any help managing your boat, i'm a seasoned captain in this area and my wife and i own a yacht management company. I can help you out with anything from the bow to the stern.
Sweet! Thanks alot for your input! I've got someone handling the management so far but if I turn unhappy with them I'll keep you in mind!
xdeerizx is offline  
Old 05-24-2017, 09:11 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fort Liquordale (Las Olas), FLORIDA
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
My second video production. Hope you like....

https://vimeo.com/218623064
Nice video amigo but you should seriously keep your Drone out of people's business because you came too close to that big Boat ... just sayin' bro. ( thumbs up )
The Boater is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 755
Default

Originally Posted by The Boater View Post
Nice video amigo but you should seriously keep your Drone out of people's business because you came too close to that big Boat ... just sayin' bro. ( thumbs up )
Hey Troll, why do you call me "Amigo" when in another thread you said that you can't stand "non-English" speaking people? I'm not your "Bro" and don't need the opinion of a bigot.
petealan is offline  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fort Liquordale (Las Olas), FLORIDA
Posts: 163
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
Hey Troll, why do you call me "Amigo" when in another thread you said that you can't stand "non-English" speaking people? I'm not your "Bro" and don't need the opinion of a bigot.
I actually have many Latin friends but most of them speak english and ALL are legally here, all contribute to make the community better, and all have good jobs. And I have many friends not born here such as Russians, Latinos, Asians, etc. But nice try playing the race card and thanks for commenting. Have a good night bro.
The Boater is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:28 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,769
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
MY second video production. Hope you like...

https://vimeo.com/218623064

Home sweet home! Cool video man!
Snookyj is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 AM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,543
Default

Super cool, Pete. I'm sure we'll see ya out there sometime. Yea, Stilltsville and Elliott Key areas are my favorite. You can stop along any of the sand bars and enjoy a bit of paradise.
SeaCat22 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 10:31 AM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Pork & Beans
Posts: 2,838
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
MY second video production. Hope you like...

https://vimeo.com/218623064
I like it!

Why was the video so herky jerky at times? Is that a stabilization issue? Can it be prevented?

Please keep posting videos. I almost saw two of my former residences on the beach. Your vid brought back many great memories of both the water and the skyline.

Petealan, are you staying on the Beach this weekend or evacuating?

==>Rapi
Rapi is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fort Liquordale (Las Olas), FLORIDA
Posts: 163
Default

I think Drones can invade privacy, so be aware of this. Personally, I would not want a Drone over my boat so keep your Drones at a safe distance or they will be shot down. Have a great weekend everyone and be safe.
The Boater is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 07:13 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 755
Default

Originally Posted by Rapi View Post
I like it!

Why was the video so herky jerky at times? Is that a stabilization issue? Can it be prevented?

Please keep posting videos. I almost saw two of my former residences on the beach. Your vid brought back many great memories of both the water and the skyline.

Petealan, are you staying on the Beach this weekend or evacuating?

==>Rapi
Rapi,

I figured out if I adjust the camera angle instead of moving the drone where I want it, it gets jerky, plus I sped up that clip with the large yacht which made it look even worse. Learning in progress.

We evacuated to Bimini. All of Miami is here plus some nice folks from St. Augustine and even further north who trailered their boats to Dania. Two 53' Hydra-Sports here with quad Sevens.
petealan is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, Dania Beach Fl.
Posts: 1,070
Default

There is no such thing as a "Laid Back Sandbar" in Miami unless you go on a weekday or rainy day. On weekends, it's full of weekend warriors many playing tiki-tiki music for all within a 1/4 mile to hear. If you still want to visit Haulover Sandbar best you anchor is just north of the bar. and east of the ICW. You will have 6 plus feet there.
stoneisoffshore is offline  
Old 06-27-2017, 01:38 PM
  #35  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by stoneisoffshore View Post
There is no such thing as a "Laid Back Sandbar" in Miami unless you go on a weekday or rainy day. On weekends, it's full of weekend warriors many playing tiki-tiki music for all within a 1/4 mile to hear. If you still want to visit Haulover Sandbar best you anchor is just north of the bar. and east of the ICW. You will have 6 plus feet there.
Can't wait to be stressed all day haha. Nixon any better?

I've seen some aerial shots and see quite a bit of 40+ footers sprawled on the outskirts which makes me feel more comfy with the room. I did notice one thing though, It seemed like half the crowd is double anchored with one of the stern and bow to keep them from swinging. I usually like to swing with the current (Destin Sandbar), but is it less popular at Nixon/Haulover?

Thanks!
xdeerizx is offline  
Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, Dania Beach Fl.
Posts: 1,070
Default

Originally Posted by xdeerizx View Post
Can't wait to be stressed all day haha. Nixon any better?

I've seen some aerial shots and see quite a bit of 40+ footers sprawled on the outskirts which makes me feel more comfy with the room. I did notice one thing though, It seemed like half the crowd is double anchored with one of the stern and bow to keep them from swinging. I usually like to swing with the current (Destin Sandbar), but is it less popular at Nixon/Haulover?

Thanks!
I like the boat to swing as well but alot of people down here do that stern anchor thing. Its havoc when a summer squall runs through as some boats swing, others dont and most drag. Nixons is no different than Haulover, same crazyiness.
stoneisoffshore is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fort Liquordale (Las Olas), FLORIDA
Posts: 163
Default

Miami is the Fraud Capitol of the United States.

I would stay clear away from Miami. ( In my humble opinion unless you want your Rig or Vessel stolen ).


http://fortune.com/2015/07/29/south-florida-fraud/

http://nypost.com/2015/07/29/south-f...al-of-america/
The Boater is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 AM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: fort Lauderdale
Posts: 534
Default

Originally Posted by stoneisoffshore View Post
There is no such thing as a "Laid Back Sandbar" in Miami unless you go on a weekday or rainy day. On weekends, it's full of weekend warriors many playing tiki-tiki music for all within a 1/4 mile to hear. If you still want to visit Haulover Sandbar best you anchor is just north of the bar. and east of the ICW. You will have 6 plus feet there.
I would have to agree no "laid back" sandbars in mia.
mangy dog is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 755
Default

Originally Posted by The Boater View Post
Miami is the Fraud Capitol of the United States.

I would stay clear away from Miami. ( In my humble opinion unless you want your Rig or Vessel stolen ).


http://fortune.com/2015/07/29/south-florida-fraud/

http://nypost.com/2015/07/29/south-f...al-of-america/
I've been boating in and around Miami for 12 years and I've never had anything stolen or had any issues at all. Don't let paranoid schizophrenics bother you.
petealan is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 12:04 PM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South, FL
Posts: 7,223
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
I've been boating in and around Miami for 12 years and I've never had anything stolen or had any issues at all. Don't let paranoid schizophrenics bother you.
I wouldn't pay any attention to the troll. He has proven countless times he is nothing but a keyboard cowboy with an agenda.
Leeroyjenkins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread