Notices

Flight to Bahamas

Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
Default Flight to Bahamas

Any problems booking a one way flight to Bahamas and taking boat back?I know some airlines require proof of a return back to US.
mattpmcl is offline  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:34 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rockledge
Posts: 289
Default

I'll tag along on this one and ask another question.... Whats the best airline to take to get to elbow cay? I think you have to fly into marsh harbor across the way right? Guys are taking boat there, ladies are flying in....
hog guts is offline  
Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 3,474
Default

From our experience, we have always ended up having to book a return flight.

If you can show a cruising permit, boat already has to be in the Bahamas before you fly out, they will usually let you on with a one way ticket.

However we have battled with Bahamas Air at PBI with cruising permit inland and still have been forced to buy a return ticket.
It could be different now, this was 2 years ago, and was with Bahamas Air.

Best way to get to elbow? Direct flights from Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach International. Spirit and Bahamas Air. I recommend direct flights as being routed through Nassau can add even more unwanted fun!
sailfish18 is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Originally Posted by sailfish18 View Post
From our experience, we have always ended up having to book a return flight.

If you can show a cruising permit, boat already has to be in the Bahamas before you fly out, they will usually let you on with a one way ticket.

However we have battled with Bahamas Air at PBI with cruising permit inland and still have been forced to buy a return ticket.
It could be different now, this was 2 years ago, and was with Bahamas Air.

Best way to get to elbow? Direct flights from Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach International. Spirit and Bahamas Air. I recommend direct flights as being routed through Nassau can add even more unwanted fun!
Hmm interesting. We just booked one ways on American. I don't know when we will be back due to scheduling challenges with medical stuff so I didn't book anything. I know for sure it will be before the 8 month max stay for US citizens.

Are you saying they force you to book a return flight at the airport?

Could always book one day of outbound and cancel within the 24hour period. After boarding. Just have to make sure it is more than 7 days out. This explains it simply. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...ange-policies/

I called their ministry of tourism office and confirmed 8 months and no requirement for proof of forward travel.

But what the airlines require may be different. Ran into an issue with them not liking the Bahamian pet import form and wanting the AFIS one the Bahamas could not give 2 craps about. Missed the flight, for routed through Nassau on another and then missed the bag because it took so long to convince them. Bahamas customs was a breeze all the papers were in order it was just arrogant airline personnel not listening or reading.
crazybeard is online now  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ft Pierce
Posts: 251
Default

Silver Airways direct from Ft Lauderdale to Marsh Harbor
Big Surprise is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Originally Posted by Big Surprise View Post
Silver Airways direct from Ft Lauderdale to Marsh Harbor
I prefer the wide body jet American flies but you have to deal with Miami airport. Kind of negates the benefit.
crazybeard is online now  
Old 04-06-2017, 04:32 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Augustine, Fl
Posts: 251
Default

I was faced with this last summer going to pick our boat up and bring it home. I purchased a one way ticket on Silver from WPB to Marsh. Showed up at the Silver counter and the gate told me I had to have proof of return. She sold me 2 return tickets for $824.00 one way. As soon as I cleared TSA I canceled the flight on my phone, happened so fast the monies never hit the card.
LMariotti is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 05:06 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,799
Default

My ride.
Attached Images  
airbrush is online now  
Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,516
Default

I've boated there and flown back with no issues.
Pipo6007 is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 381
Default

I have flown over on a one way ticket many times and used a copy of my cruising permit as proof of return.
TwoBits is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:17 AM
  #11  
vc
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Welaka,FL
Posts: 1,900
Default

Originally Posted by LMariotti View Post
I was faced with this last summer going to pick our boat up and bring it home. I purchased a one way ticket on Silver from WPB to Marsh. Showed up at the Silver counter and the gate told me I had to have proof of return. She sold me 2 return tickets for $824.00 one way. As soon as I cleared TSA I canceled the flight on my phone, happened so fast the monies never hit the card.
Good one Lance! lol
vc is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GTC, Abaco Bahamas/western NC
Posts: 1,308
Default

Copy of the cruising permit, letter from person whose name is on the permit if it is not yours. If you get a stupid agent just buy a refundable return ticket and cancel it.
Tingum is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jax Beach, FL
Posts: 772
Default

Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Copy of the cruising permit, letter from person whose name is on the permit if it is not yours. If you get a stupid agent just buy a refundable return ticket and cancel it.
Exactly, buy a fully refundable ticket then cancel it when you arrive.
bigbender is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rockledge
Posts: 289
Default

I have two ladies and their daughters needing to get form orlando / sanford / melbourne / titusville area. Doesn't make sense to drive to lauderdale or miami from up here. Any good options for round trip from any of the areas above? Thanks I was told some guys did private flights too for not too much, any info on that?
hog guts is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 05:40 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 949
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
I prefer the wide body jet American flies but you have to deal with Miami airport. Kind of negates the benefit.
hmmm... dont think AA flies a wide body to the Bahamas...737, A319 or regional jet
sea section is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
csy man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,111
Default

Originally Posted by sea section View Post
hmmm... dont think AA flies a wide body to the Bahamas...737, A319 or regional jet
Don't think so either.
I am a pilot for AA and the biggest I hauled over there was a B-757-200.
Great plane, more power than God: If you loose an engine, you have plenty juice left on the remaining mill, unlike an A-321 or a B-737-800 at max.
csy man is offline  
Old 04-06-2017, 08:05 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by hog guts View Post
I have two ladies and their daughters needing to get form orlando / sanford / melbourne / titusville area. Doesn't make sense to drive to lauderdale or miami from up here. Any good options for round trip from any of the areas above? Thanks I was told some guys did private flights too for not too much, any info on that?
Try Airgate in NSB.

http://flyairgate.com/
Aquaman95 is offline  
Old 04-07-2017, 01:16 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Originally Posted by sea section View Post
hmmm... dont think AA flies a wide body to the Bahamas...737, A319 or regional jet
Think my iPhone got me. Was trying to type wider vs the props silver and others fly.
crazybeard is online now  
Old 04-07-2017, 04:15 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FL USA
Posts: 1,737
Default

Originally Posted by aquaman95 View Post
try airgate in nsb.

http://flyairgate.com/
yep!
MrPat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread