The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Default Retiring to South Florida

First time poster here; I havenít seen a post that addresses my exact situation so Iíll give this a whirl:
Iím within a couple of years of retiring. Iím starting to make plans and Iím having trouble with weighing the cost/benefits of alternatives re: logistics of boat ownership in South Florida. Iím hoping some of you went through the same process I am and can share some tips. The two big issues that Iím struggling with are 1) where to buy a house and, 2) where to store my boat.
My current planning assumptions include:
ē Iíll buy a house somewhere between Fort Pierce and Palm Beach. Iím pretty familiar with the area.
ē Iíll buy a fishing boat Ė something like a 30í center console for fishing both Indian River and ocean. I have not owned a boat before.
ē Iíll be storing the boat from April 1 to November 1 each year.
ē Iíll be an active boater for about 20 years.

Options for a house include:
ē Buying a house with a slip close to an inlet. Looks to be pretty expensive if I want to be close to an inlet. My budget is +/- $800K, although Iíd like build a large garage/workshop within that target. It appears that most lots close to inlets donít have a lot of space for an extra garage.
ē Buy a house with a slip far from the inlet. Iím trying to map out travel times from various points to establish some geographic boundaries.
ē Buy a house without a slip and rent/buy a slip elsewhere or else trailer to a public boat ramp.
Options for boat storage include:
ē Store at home - Iím surprised that I donít see more garages on the coast that can accommodate taller boats. Do counties/HOAs prevent construction? Do most people store their $100K boat outside?
ē Store elsewhere Ė I havenít started doing any research yet.

Any other considerations you can think of to help me get better focus on the issue is appreciated. Thanks.
bluedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central, Florida
Posts: 1,119
Default

Where are you coming from?
kurttruk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 679
Default

Fort Lauderdale:
House on a canal with 65' waterfront, $500k and up.
45 mins from the ocean (in my hood anyway, Citrus Ilses, 33315 zip)
Bahamas close by, FLL airport close by.
More marine stores, dealers and shops than you can shake a stick at.
Good restaurants, good shopping.
Wife likes the Art stuff around here.
We came from Texas 18 years ago and love it.
Not going anywhere.
csy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 233
Default

If I was in your position it would be anywhere between Islmorada and Marathon..with a preference of Islamorada or Key Colony Beach.
Very easy access to Altantic or Gulf and most homes provide enough space for a boat (or 2).
Get a smaller house and focus on a bigger boat.
Breiberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiberks View Post
If I was in your position it would be anywhere between Islmorada and Marathon..with a preference of Islamorada or Key Colony Beach.
Very easy access to Altantic or Gulf and most homes provide enough space for a boat (or 2).
Agree.
We looked at the Keys as well.
Perfect for boating and drinking beer.
Wife thought it was too Redneck, hence we compromised on Fort Lauderdale.
Unhappy wife, miserable life
csy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Snuggedy Swamp & North Eleuthera
Posts: 3,440
Default

Buy a house on a canal on the ICW with a boat lift.
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 18,192
Default

I was just about to start a similar thread, since I am in the same situation, so I'll just mooch off of this one, and hopefully stay out of the way, for the most part.

To the poster who said buy a smaller house and a bigger boat, what is the sweet spot in terms of boat size to be good to go in most weather and sea conditions - ocean and near shore?

joenew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Home to stay in FLA
Posts: 1,213
Default

Just a nomenclature thing... the area between "Fort Pierce and Palm Beach" is not really "South Florida." Most Floridians would consider that area to be the Treasure Coast, and the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale metropolis as "South Florida."
nicecast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 1,607
Default

I would definitely buy on canal with lift. The convenience as you get older will make all the difference with quality time on boat and ease of cleaning as you feel like it.

I am life long Jupiter resident and keep my boat at my dads place on water. Average use is once per month. I would probably use once a week if it were my house.
lobsdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 233
Default

[QUOTE=Breiberks;10091251]

25t contender...no forward seating..just get some nice bean bags for the family.
IMHO..fish for Dolphin and Tuna in the stream, tarpon @ the Bridges and then go "bug" hunting in the bay (for those in the keys) or just hang out @ the local sandbar.
Breiberks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 7,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiberks View Post
t

25t contender...no forward seating..just get some nice bean bags for the family.
IMHO..fish for Dolphin and Tuna in the stream, tarpon @ the Bridges and then go "bug" hunting in the bay.
Same here 24' to 30' CC except I want forward seating
mikeloew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boynton Beach Islamorada
Posts: 1,611
Default

Check on the insurance. Although I can afford to live on the water, I would never want to pay the insurance or to have a direct hit from a storm living that far east.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 117
Default

I did this. Except I still have to work. Bought a house on the canal with a lift in Palm City. I'm about 20 mins to the ocean from the lift. I'd suggest with your lack of boating experience you'll prob only head out of the inlet on flat days and spend more time in the river or intracoastal. I'd go with a hybrid bay boat, 26' or so with a big single, trolling motor and power poles. It's like the SUV of boats. Just my .02.
Trob34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
Check on the insurance. Although I can afford to live on the water, I would never want to pay the insurance or to have a direct hit from a storm living that far east.
This is a common misconception. I am between 95 and federal, and my insurance, taxes, etc are not appreciably different because I am on a canal. I have plenty of friends who live halfway to the everglades who pay more than me.

Yes you SHOULD check on insurance rates but don't assume they'll rule you out. In a hurricane zone (all of south florida) it is often home construction that makes the biggest difference.

My vote is for a house with a boat lift on a canal. Major reduction in your boat maintenance and storage expenses, although engine service can be a bit more $ if you have to have someone haul the boat out to do it and can be a bit more stressful in hurricane season. But you'll use the boat 5x more easily. I am a 45 minute ride to the inlet - while this does make it hard to do a quick ocean run before or after work - it is not a bad situation overall and in my area about a $200k savings on a house vs a 15 minute ride to the inlet.

Agreed with the others that you are looking at "treasure coast" not "south florida." Up in that neck of the woods you might even be able to do a boathouse style covered lift. But yes, down here most of us leave our boats outside. A fitted cover will run you about $3k and is worth it but can be a pain in the neck to put off and on.

Large garage/workshop is practically unheard of down here, as most of the waterfront lots were carved out in the 50s and 60s and were 80x100 at best. (and many smaller) Up north I imagine you'd have more flexibility. Garage that would hold a 30' CC with t top is a major structure.
Flot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 121
Default

When I first moved to Naples I looked at a map and thought I lived in South Florida. Turns out I live in Southwest Florida. I guess only the east coast is South Florida. Which is fine with me.
capndrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Summerland Key
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedobe View Post
First time poster here; I havenít seen a post that addresses my exact situation so Iíll give this a whirl:
Iím within a couple of years of retiring. Iím starting to make plans and Iím having trouble with weighing the cost/benefits of alternatives re: logistics of boat ownership in South Florida. Iím hoping some of you went through the same process I am and can share some tips. The two big issues that Iím struggling with are 1) where to buy a house and, 2) where to store my boat.
My current planning assumptions include:
ē Iíll buy a house somewhere between Fort Pierce and Palm Beach. Iím pretty familiar with the area.
ē Iíll buy a fishing boat Ė something like a 30í center console for fishing both Indian River and ocean. I have not owned a boat before.
ē Iíll be storing the boat from April 1 to November 1 each year.
ē Iíll be an active boater for about 20 years.

Options for a house include:
ē Buying a house with a slip close to an inlet. Looks to be pretty expensive if I want to be close to an inlet. My budget is +/- $800K, although Iíd like build a large garage/workshop within that target. It appears that most lots close to inlets donít have a lot of space for an extra garage.
ē Buy a house with a slip far from the inlet. Iím trying to map out travel times from various points to establish some geographic boundaries.
ē Buy a house without a slip and rent/buy a slip elsewhere or else trailer to a public boat ramp.
Options for boat storage include:
ē Store at home - Iím surprised that I donít see more garages on the coast that can accommodate taller boats. Do counties/HOAs prevent construction? Do most people store their $100K boat outside?
ē Store elsewhere Ė I havenít started doing any research yet.

Any other considerations you can think of to help me get better focus on the issue is appreciated. Thanks.
Anything South of Palm Beach is more like South America now as opposed to the USA. If you like tons of traffic congestion, young aggressive latin drivers with big gold chains driving $10,000 cars with $6,000 wheels, higher car theft and crime rates, it's a nice place. For all the places around there that are exceptions you will have to deal with that kind of thing regularly. Make sure you speak spanish real well too. The keys are different but if you go there it is very limited living overall by comparison and more expensive. After 3 yrs in Dade and then Broward County, it flat out wore me out. I had to get away from there.
Egret&Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sebastian Fl.
Posts: 99
Default

30 ft, is too big to effectively fish Intracoastal.
New style bay boats work well in and around inlets as well as near shore /offshore ( a couple of miles). Also, perfect to tow to the keys.

Regarding where to live ! You have many options . You may consider leasing for a year or two so young can really get to know what's available both fishing and dwelling wise.

Good luck on your quest . Steve Jobs, founder of Apple , quoted " The Journey is the Reward " . so true. Capt Billy
dolphin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csy man View Post
Agree.
We looked at the Keys as well.
Perfect for boating and drinking beer.
Wife thought it was too Redneck, hence we compromised on Fort Lauderdale.
Unhappy wife, miserable life
I think you're looking in the right area. The prices in the Keys, especially Islamorada are insane. I've seen this before, a few times.

I would be focusing north of Fort Lauderdale, personally. You'll find better value and your canal front home will move closer to the inlet.
DroppinLoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 502
Default

If I were you I would also consider a boat club. No storage, no maintenance, no theft, no depreciation, no cleaning, no insurance, no boat sitting around going unused from April to November... Let the hassles of boat ownership be someone else's problem.
cronced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #20
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Default

Wow - thanks everybody for the great feedback; you gave me lots of things to consider. I've been wrestling with whether a hybrid would be a better fit for me since I'm definitely a fair-weathered boater. I'll mostly be going out alone and am not looking to do much more than bay/near shore fishing so a hybrid may be a good fit. Comfort will definitely be a primary consideration and I want to make sure I don't buy something that I regret. I'm starting up the shopping soon and will be studying up.
bluedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.