Notices
Like Tree818Likes

Ponce Inlet - Weekly Reports

Old 04-23-2019, 03:30 PM
  #1781  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 63
Default

Any mahi reports? Heading out in the morning. Heard good reports at the bait shop but I know how that goes. Should have been out yesterday. Will report tomorow afternoon or thursday morning. Might want to go man go fishing after that report
Caicoskid is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM
  #1782  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Default

We’re headed out Saturday, weather permitting. Who else will be going?
sailfish_218 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:02 PM
  #1783  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Mary, FL
Posts: 53
Default

Just cooked up some mango fish cakes for the first time. Unbelievably good. Can’t believe I haven’t tried this before. Should be good with any fresh white fish.
RollTideRob and rabidkoala like this.
popandscream is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:23 AM
  #1784  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oviedo
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by sailfish_218 View Post
We’re headed out Saturday, weather permitting. Who else will be going?
Looking to head out as well. Watching Windfinder forecast for the 20 mile bouy and it keeps getting worse.
Was 2’-3’ on Monday, 3’ yesterday and now it’s 4’ plus with winds at 12-20 knots from the north
Coltmb is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:46 AM
  #1785  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 287
Default

The Sunday forecast was getting worse but now is improving. Hopefully it is actually 2-3's because that is the only day I have to get out.
blake0723 is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 AM
  #1786  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by popandscream View Post
Just cooked up some mango fish cakes for the first time. Unbelievably good. Can’t believe I haven’t tried this before. Should be good with any fresh white fish.
Can you share recipe or link to where you got it?
nobull is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:37 AM
  #1787  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Mary, FL
Posts: 53
Default

Originally Posted by nobull View Post
Can you share recipe or link to where you got it?
This is how I did it, I cooked four fillets in a pan with blackened seasoning and lemon pepper. Put it in a bowl and pulled the meat apart finely with two forks. Let it sit to cool down a little bit. Then I chopped up some onion, cilantro, and a jalapeño. I cracked two eggs over it and added a healthy amount of shredded cheese. I mixed all of that and the fish together with my hands. Crunched up ritz garlic and butter crackers in a bowl very finely. I balled up the mixture and then coated it in the ritz crumbs. Oil in a pan with medium heat. Put em in and flip in two minutes. Serve with a side of siracha and you will love it.
Nat55611 and blake0723 like this.
popandscream is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 08:46 AM
  #1788  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas
Posts: 1,366
Default

Originally Posted by popandscream View Post
Just cooked up some mango fish cakes for the first time. Unbelievably good. Can’t believe I haven’t tried this before. Should be good with any fresh white fish.
Makes me hungry.
Recipe looks easy. Where is the mango?
Fix1111 likes this.
cntdr is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:04 AM
  #1789  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Mary, FL
Posts: 53
Default

Originally Posted by cntdr View Post
Makes me hungry.
Recipe looks easy. Where is the mango?
mango snapper is what I meant. Sorry I’ve been calling mangrove snapper mangos for way too long now ha
popandscream is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:26 PM
  #1790  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ponce Inlet, FL
Posts: 1,364
Default

Originally Posted by popandscream View Post


This is how I did it, I cooked four fillets in a pan with blackened seasoning and lemon pepper. Put it in a bowl and pulled the meat apart finely with two forks. Let it sit to cool down a little bit. Then I chopped up some onion, cilantro, and a jalapeño. I cracked two eggs over it and added a healthy amount of shredded cheese. I mixed all of that and the fish together with my hands. Crunched up ritz garlic and butter crackers in a bowl very finely. I balled up the mixture and then coated it in the ritz crumbs. Oil in a pan with medium heat. Put em in and flip in two minutes. Serve with a side of siracha and you will love it.


Going to give it a go ! Your report and recipe will be used

Only had a couple hours to sneak out so not the numbers Popandscream got but its something.
Today 80 ft of water due east.








*
popandscream, mkyota1 and Neff991 like this.
Muggin Mullet is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 03:39 PM
  #1791  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake Mary, FL
Posts: 53
Default

Pretty work!
Muggin Mullet likes this.
popandscream is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 03:50 PM
  #1792  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 63
Default

Went on the troll. Headed straight east from ponce. So so weed line in 185 but both sides of it were scattered weed everywhere. So was a pain to troll. Did get first hit before we got all our lines out. Wasn't sure what it was because it had some much weed on the line it could barely fight. Turned out to be about 16-18 lb mahi. Set lines back out and had another 5-6lb fish jump a couple times and jumped off. Temp was 75 and no flyers at all. And I mean none. By this time more people were making there way out and it started to get a little to busy on this one line. Decided to head east to look for a cleaner line. Found some patches in 240 and m ore in 350. Water got to 76.5 and saw more flyers but managed only one small 5lber. Decided to go back to 185 to try our luck and every one dissapeared? Don't know we're they went. Scattered line was now forming small patches and we managed to pick up 3 more in the 7-8 lb range. Had one sail on for a short time and had another free jumping like crazy right next to the boat. Everything hit skirted ballyhoo. Red/ black and chartreuse saw most action. Hope this helps someone
Muggin Mullet likes this.
Caicoskid is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM
  #1793  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Caicoskid View Post
Went on the troll. Headed straight east from ponce. So so weed line in 185 but both sides of it were scattered weed everywhere. So was a pain to troll. Did get first hit before we got all our lines out. Wasn't sure what it was because it had some much weed on the line it could barely fight. Turned out to be about 16-18 lb mahi. Set lines back out and had another 5-6lb fish jump a couple times and jumped off. Temp was 75 and no flyers at all. And I mean none. By this time more people were making there way out and it started to get a little to busy on this one line. Decided to head east to look for a cleaner line. Found some patches in 240 and m ore in 350. Water got to 76.5 and saw more flyers but managed only one small 5lber. Decided to go back to 185 to try our luck and every one dissapeared? Don't know we're they went. Scattered line was now forming small patches and we managed to pick up 3 more in the 7-8 lb range. Had one sail on for a short time and had another free jumping like crazy right next to the boat. Everything hit skirted ballyhoo. Red/ black and chartreuse saw most action. Hope this helps someone

roughly how far out we’re you?
sailfish_218 is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:13 PM
  #1794  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Coltmb View Post

Looking to head out as well. Watching Windfinder forecast for the 20 mile bouy and it keeps getting worse.
Was 2’-3’ on Monday, 3’ yesterday and now it’s 4’ plus with winds at 12-20 knots from the north
i see that the forecast has changed, I’m keeping a close eye on it, may switch to going out Sunday.
sailfish_218 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 AM
  #1795  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 63
Default

Between 40-50 miles from inlet most of the day
Caicoskid is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 03:57 AM
  #1796  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 77
Default

We found a few on Monday as well. Biggest went just under 24". The smallest 12.5".

​​​​​​​
Muggin Mullet likes this.
mkyota1 is offline  
Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 AM
  #1797  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NSB - FL
Posts: 2,201
Default

Looks like I am going to try to head out on Sunday....forecast looks favorable as of now...will pull the trigger based on the Sat afternoon update.
DamonD is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM
  #1798  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 287
Default

Where is everyone finding bait right now when heading out of Ponce? I tried the markers leaving the inlet with a sibiki the other weekend with no luck. We are heading out Sunday and I would like to start with a full livewell. I don't need anyone's secret spot but any help would be appreciated.
blake0723 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM
  #1799  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ponce Inlet, FL
Posts: 1,364
Default

Originally Posted by blake0723 View Post
Where is everyone finding bait right now when heading out of Ponce? I tried the markers leaving the inlet with a sibiki the other weekend with no luck. We are heading out Sunday and I would like to start with a full livewell. I don't need anyone's secret spot but any help would be appreciated.
What you looking for ? Pinfish are usually all over the place from the Swoop ramp to the inlet. Just throw a sabiki out along one of the sandy bottom areas along the islands or the rocks at the CG station. Been catching herring and cigars on the sabiki over the artificial reefs. You should see the clouds of bait on your machine.

Neff991 likes this.
Muggin Mullet is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:51 PM
  #1800  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 287
Default

Originally Posted by Muggin Mullet View Post
What you looking for ? Pinfish are usually all over the place from the Swoop ramp to the inlet. Just throw a sabiki out along one of the sandy bottom areas along the islands or the rocks at the CG station. Been catching herring and cigars on the sabiki over the artificial reefs. You should see the clouds of bait on your machine.
I was planning on trying a Sabiki over the reefs so I’m glad to hear it is working right now. Thanks for the info.
blake0723 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread